PDA

View Full Version : Oiled or Oil-less Compressor?

Russ Filtz
04-28-2005, 10:46 AM
Looking for a small/medium style compressor for odd-jobs, paint spray, not production. Was looking at the pancake styles by PC and Bostitch. I know oiled cast iron is better for longevity, but does the oil cause any problems in the finish? Probably be spraying latex paint first with this.

Larry Ogborn
04-28-2005, 10:54 AM
You need to be more concerned about the CFM of a compressor you plan to use for spraying paint. I think you will find the pancake models will not produce the volume of air you need for spray painting.

Larry

Mike Vermeil
04-28-2005, 11:08 AM
then you probably won't like the oil-less compressors. They make what I consider to be the most annoying, ear-splitting noise in the entire shop.

Jim Dannels
04-28-2005, 11:12 AM
I agree with Larry, you need to determine the CFM requirement of the tools you wish to run and get a compressor that will handle that with ease(exceed that).
I say that because you will want to add tools that may require more.
I will agree that a oiled unit is both quieter and more durable than an oiless.
However I live in Iowa and winters can be cold, my shop is not heated(yet).
2 previous compressors I had would start very hard when temps got below 0.
The oil got too thick, requiring either changing to winter viscosity or not using it.
And of course remember to change it in spring(maintainece that should not be a nusiance).

I think any compressor should have filters to stop condensed water or in the case of older compressors passing oil( my first one did that) into air lines.
When I bought my last compressor a 30 gal Campbell Hausefeld upright, I chose an oiless unit and am pleased but understand its limitations. I did not pay a great deal for it at Wallyworld, so if it has to eventually be replaced it will have more than paid for itself.

Jamie Buxton
04-28-2005, 11:29 AM
then you probably won't like the oil-less compressors. They make what I consider to be the most annoying, ear-splitting noise in the entire shop.

That's no longer true. It was true for decades, but newer small compressors aren't that loud. I've got a Senco PC 1005, and you barely have to raise your voice to talk over it, even in a closed room.

Kevin Post
04-28-2005, 11:48 AM
As stated previously, the small pancake compressors will not produce a sufficient volume of air to be suitable for spraying.

The small oil-less compressors (like the Senco PC1005) are reasonably quiet but they won't run much other than a nailer. If you need something that will generate the CFM required to run a sprayer, it's a entirely different story.

I have a 5HP Coleman Black Max oil-less compressor with a big tank. It makes an unbearable racket when it's running. If I could do it over, I would have never purchased it. Someone told me they were noisy but my brother told me the oiless compressor he had wasn't very loud. It turns out his was a small, pancake compressor... When my shop is built, I will either enclose the thing in an insulated box or get something else.

You can and should put a filter on the air line to trap moisture and oil to prevent it from getting into your sprayed finishes.

-Kevin

Mike Vermeil
04-28-2005, 12:07 PM
That's no longer true. It was true for decades, but newer small compressors aren't that loud. I've got a Senco PC 1005, and you barely have to raise your voice to talk over it, even in a closed room.

I had an old, industrial style compressor for years, but after the tank rusted through I bought a oil-less model. I hate it. The noise is absolutely nerve wraking. Size for size, cfm for cfm, traditional style compressors are virtually always more bearable noise-wise than oil free units. I even bought a small oil-lubed compressor for site work now because I was tired of listening to my oil-free unit in the shop.

Rick Lizek
04-28-2005, 12:19 PM
Like the others said compare CFM between the gun and compressor. You really need at least 3 hp and a good sized tank to spray and you will be waiting for it to catch up. For the occasional latex paint job a wagner electric and floetrol additive will give great results.

Russ Filtz
04-28-2005, 3:41 PM
I realize that a bigger unit would be good for the shop, but I was thinking of starting with a smaller more portable unit. The previous post on HVLP conversion sprayers indicated that it will work with the pancake style, with the caveat you may have to wait for cycling.

Also, what's the deal between the 6-gal pancake and 4-gal dual tank? Seems like the dual tank gives more CFM, but will the volume keep up? Why the 2 tanks, is it pressurized in stages? The 4-gal duals are more expensive too.

Jerry Olexa
04-28-2005, 6:48 PM
oil-less=No maintenance BUT Loud Noise!!

Steve Roxberg
04-28-2005, 9:08 PM
If the Makita MAC700 will handle your needs I highly recommend it. $179 from Amazon, and throw in a clamp to get over $200 and you'll save $25, free shipping and no sales tax.

It is quiet, sturdy, and very very nice. Here are the specs:

Roll bar handle for portability and added protection against harsh jobsite environments
High rated 3.3 CFM @ 90 PSI
The low 1720 rpm is half that of most competitive units, resulting in greater motor and pump life, and the substantially lower noise level makes it the quietest compressor in its class
Large cast iron pump with automotive style cylinder and piston deliver maximum performance
Oil lubricated for cooler running pump and an automotive style air filter for easy, low-cost maintenance

Mike Stanton
04-28-2005, 11:09 PM
If you want to spray latex you need an airless sprayer that is what they are for. If you still want to use your air compressor to spray latex you will need to thin the latex. I prayed my share of latex inmy life. Mike

Russ Filtz
04-29-2005, 12:52 AM
OK, any insights between Makita MAC2400, Dewalt 5153, Hitachi EC12, and Porter Cable CPLDC2540S, or similar? All are twin stack, oiled, 2-3 HP, 4+ CFM @90, and around $250.

Actually just noticed the PC has a rebate. Amazon has it for $219 shipped until the 30th (after rebate). Good deal?