PDA

View Full Version : Jointer

Dave Novak
01-04-2013, 9:16 PM
Hey guys, I'm having a little trouble with my jointer. When I joint the edges of boards to be glued up, there's a small gap on each end of the board, about the thickness of a piece of paper. I've read a lot of threads regarding proper technique, I don't think thats the problem. The gap isn't generally something a little clamping doesn't fix, but my current project is a kitchen table with leaves, so my edges have to line up with the help of clamps. As the board leaves the cutter head and rides on the outfeed table, it sure seems to be dead flat. What's the likely problem with my jointer table setup? I'd hate to just start adjusting things without some sort of direction. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Jim Andrew
01-04-2013, 9:25 PM
I have the same problem if I change hand positions on the board as I push it through the jointer. Try just holding the board and pushing it through without letting go with either hand. After the board is rocking, it is hard to get rid of that curve. Try putting the end of the board on the outfeed table and running it through, check it and if the curve is gone run it through again.

Chris Rosenberger
01-04-2013, 9:34 PM
If the gap is about 1" long, then your knives are higher than the outfeed table.

Dave Novak
01-04-2013, 9:39 PM
These are fairly heavy boards, roughly 21" X 42" of oak about 1-1/4" thick (I'm jointing the 42" sides) so changing hands is a must at my strength level. I try to shift any downward pressure i apply from the infeed side to the outfeed side as the board reaches half to two-thirds past the cutterhead. The curve is so slight that I don't see it when I rest the board on edge on known flat surfaces, it's only when I mate two together that it's noticeable. I ruled out poor technique since it's fairly consistent, but I guess if my technique is consistently bad ....

Not sure what you mean by putting the end of the board on the outfeed table, seems like that would ensure a bad edge?

Dave Novak
01-04-2013, 9:45 PM
If the gap is about 1" long, then your knives are higher than the outfeed table.

If I flush 1 end of the edges together the gap begins about 8" from the other end, so it's about a 4" long gap on each side. Still think it's a knife height issue? They're self-setting knives (tersa), so if that's the problem i need to lift the entire outfeed table a smidgen?

Chris Rosenberger
01-04-2013, 10:05 PM
If I flush 1 end of the edges together the gap begins about 8" from the other end, so it's about a 4" long gap on each side. Still think it's a knife height issue? They're self-setting knives (tersa), so if that's the problem i need to lift the entire outfeed table a smidgen?

Ok. The out feed table being to high will cause a covex edge. Try lowering the outfeed table slightly.

Dave Novak
01-04-2013, 10:46 PM
Well, I raised the infeed side to match the outfeed, and when I lay a 48" straight edge across the two tables it seems the far end of the outfeed table is a tad too low. I'm correct in assuming they should be dead flat with each other, right? It's a combo machine, so the tables lift up. On the side opposite the hinge theres a couple protruding bolts under the table that control the height on the left side of the the table, but I assume I can't only adjust the left side. No idea how I'd adjust the hinged side. Maybe my next step should be to start talking to the guys in the minimax yahoo forum, the manual that came with the machine is all but useless.

Darius Ferlas
01-04-2013, 11:24 PM
The outfeed table is too high in relation to the cutters, not to the infeed, so ringing the infeed up won't help.

Chris Rosenberger
01-05-2013, 7:50 AM
Well, I raised the infeed side to match the outfeed, and when I lay a 48" straight edge across the two tables it seems the far end of the outfeed table is a tad too low. I'm correct in assuming they should be dead flat with each other, right? It's a combo machine, so the tables lift up. On the side opposite the hinge theres a couple protruding bolts under the table that control the height on the left side of the the table, but I assume I can't only adjust the left side. No idea how I'd adjust the hinged side. Maybe my next step should be to start talking to the guys in the minimax yahoo forum, the manual that came with the machine is all but useless.

The tables should be in the same plane, but I do not believe that is causing your problem. Try lowering the outfeed table slightly.

Jim Andrew
01-05-2013, 8:24 AM
Are you getting confused? Your outfieed table should be level with the top of your blades. Take a straight edge and lay on the outfeed table and rotate the cutterhead and see if it touches, or if it raises the straight edge up when you turn it. Adjust the outfeed table up till the straight edge just touches the edge of the cutter as you turn the cutterhead. Then check your infeed table without moving anything else and see if it is level when the cut indicator is at "0". When you want to cut something off your board, you lower the infeed table by that amount. So that the cutterhead removes some material and the board hits the outfeed table even with the cutterhead. Does that explain anything? When I said to put the end of the board on the outfeed table, that was to keep the board from rocking back and making the curve worse. You will have a little bump at the end, that is why you should run it through again.