PDA

View Full Version : **MY** attempt at losing a finger

Glen Blanchard
04-28-2005, 10:25 AM
I just read KC's post about his close call with the bandsaw. Reminded me of something stupid I did a few years back. I had just begun woodworking and was definately "green". In fact, this minor incident happened on a tool with which nobody ever has an accident - leave it up to me.

I was using the biscuit joiner (and here is what made it problematic) on a small workpiece. Now this was before I learned (read "had the common sense") to clamp the small workpiece to the table. I was hodling the biscuit joiner in my right hand and the workpiece in my left, grasping it between my thumb and middle finger while resting it on the table. Bet you know where I am going with this. As soon as the blade engaged the wood, the piece I was working on flew across the garage and, since I was holding it firmly, my thumb was drawn across the spinning blade as the blade was retracting. It, however, did not retract rapidly enough to prevent a nice gash at the knuckle of my thumb. A few sutures and few days later I was as good as new. Will never make that mistake again though.

I am still the only person I know who has injured himself with a biscuit joiner.

Jeff Sudmeier
04-28-2005, 11:15 AM
I just read KC's post about his close call with the bandsaw. Reminded me of something stupid I did a few years back. I had just begun woodworking and was definately "green". In fact, this minor incident happened on a tool with which nobody ever has an accident - leave it up to me.

I was using the biscuit joiner (and here is what made it problematic) on a small workpiece. Now this was before I learned (read "had the common sense") to clamp the small workpiece to the table. I was hodling the biscuit joiner in my right hand and the workpiece in my left, grasping it between my thumb and middle finger while resting it on the table. Bet you know where I am going with this. As soon as the blade engaged the wood, the piece I was working on flew across the garage and, since I was holding it firmly, my thumb was drawn across the spinning blade as the blade was retracting. It, however, did not retract rapidly enough to prevent a nice gash at the knuckle of my thumb. A few sutures and few days later I was as good as new. Will never make that mistake again though.

I am still the only person I know who has injured himself with a biscuit joiner.
Glen,

I haven't done it, but rest assured there are many people out there that have gotten "Bit" by the biscuit joiner. Most of the time it is the same way, using it to close to the free hand.

Thanks for your post. It is always great to get a reminder to stay safe.

Glad you didn't get sersiouly hurt and gained a new found respect for that safe looking tool.

Dave Brandt
04-28-2005, 11:26 AM
Believe it or not, you're not the one and only! :o A friend of mine who was the cabinetmaker (and had been ones for over 20 years) at a federal agency took a big hunk out of one of his hands using a Lamello (this was before everyone else started making the joiners). Of all the huge, scary looking equipment in his shop, probably the safest tool bit him pretty good. He still laughs about it. No permanent damage though. Just goes to show ya, anything with teeth can bite! :eek:

Dennis McDonaugh
04-28-2005, 12:24 PM
Glen, sounds like the perfect time for a biscuitstop ;) . Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Ed Hardin
04-28-2005, 12:36 PM
Believe it or not, you're not the one and only! :o A friend of mine who was the cabinetmaker (and had been ones for over 20 years) at a federal agency took a big hunk out of one of his hands using a Lamello (this was before everyone else started making the joiners). Of all the huge, scary looking equipment in his shop, probably the safest tool bit him pretty good. He still laughs about it. No permanent damage though. Just goes to show ya, anything with teeth can bite! :eek:

AND USUALLY DOES!

Dale Thompson
04-28-2005, 10:02 PM
Glen, sounds like the perfect time for a biscuitstop ;) . .

Dennis,
You are one SICK dude!! ;) If I had my guess, I would suggest that you are also opposed to "Political Correctness" and even "happy", or is it "gay", marriage. :confused: ;) You MUST be from Texas (or Wisconsin). What a dinosaur! :D :cool:

Dale T.

Dennis McDonaugh
04-29-2005, 10:37 AM
Dennis,
You are one SICK dude!! ;) If I had my guess, I would suggest that you are also opposed to "Political Correctness" and even "happy", or is it "gay", marriage. :confused: ;) You MUST be from Texas (or Wisconsin). What a dinosaur! :D :cool:

Dale T.

Dale, you would be right on the state and political correctness part. As to gay marriage--makes no difference to me what consenting adults do together. BTW, I work in one of the most one-way liberal places on earth--a college campus and I occasionally like to poke at things with a sharp stick :D. Since this isn't the off topic forum, I won't explain how the one-way liberalism works at my campus ;) .

Dale Thompson
04-29-2005, 8:31 PM
Since this isn't the off topic forum, I won't explain how the one-way liberalism works at my campus ;) .

Dennis,
You just saved me another one of those glycerine tablets that I always carry in my purse! ;) :cool: :)

Dale T.