PDA

View Full Version : Any Electrical Engineers out there? Cheap, legal induced squeal in speakers?

Jim Underwood
01-04-2013, 4:37 PM
Any electrical engineers out there? Is there a legal, cheap way to induce squeal or loud tone in speakers about about 10 feet away?

Phil Thien
01-04-2013, 6:15 PM
I can't imagine there would be any way to do this wirelessly, especially not loud. Loudspeakers are actually quite inefficient transducers. Even if they could pickup something via the ether, it just wouldn't have enough energy to move the cones much.

Greg Portland
01-04-2013, 6:22 PM
Any electrical engineers out there? Is there a legal, cheap way to induce squeal or loud tone in speakers about about 10 feet away?
I'm assuming you're talking about some wireless method. It takes a good deal of energy to move the cones so no, there isn't a way. The feedback hum caused by cellphones is because the noise is picked up on the amplifier's -inputs- (which gets amplified to the speakers).

Some more details would be helpful. If you're trying to block a cell phone there are (illegal) ways...

ray hampton
01-04-2013, 6:49 PM
how can one cell phone signal be block without blocking other cell phones of the same make

Greg Portland
01-04-2013, 7:01 PM
how can one cell phone signal be block without blocking other cell phones of the same make
There isn't an easy way. Sorry, I see that my use of "a cell phone" instead of "cell phones within range" could cause confusion.

David G Baker
01-04-2013, 8:48 PM
If I am not mistaken don't theaters block cell phones from transmitting or receiving?

John Coloccia
01-04-2013, 9:05 PM
What, exactly, are you trying to do?

Mike Henderson
01-04-2013, 10:03 PM
If I am not mistaken don't theaters block cell phones from transmitting or receiving?
No, cell phone blockers are illegal in the US. Theaters ask people to turn their cell phones off.

Mike

Jim Underwood
01-04-2013, 10:35 PM
I hear bass (only) from a FM radio stereo bleeding through a wall- makes it extremely difficult to concentrate. If I could hear the rest of the music, it wouldn't be so bad. But the bass is particularly annoying because it's not a constant noise to just mentally tune out, and but it's not enough of the music to be pleasurable. If there's not a legal way to induce noise in the speakers, I may have to figure out some other way of dealing with it. Wouldn't want the FCC crawling down my neck would I? Isn't there something I could do from only 10 feet away that isn't illegal?

Jim O'Dell
01-04-2013, 11:08 PM
Do you know the source of this bass music? I'm guessing we aren't talking about some kid driving down the street thumping his audio system. Just seems weird, but then I bet we only know part of what is going on.:rolleyes: Jim.

Jay Jolliffe
01-05-2013, 7:58 AM
I use to live next door to a ham radio operator. He came over my stereo speakers,telephone & the speakers on the tv. The stereo or TV didn't have to be on for it to happen. After I complained numerous times he finally fixed it some how...

Chuck Wintle
01-05-2013, 8:15 AM
from what I know it would be hard to induce enough signal strength at the input of the speakers due to the low impedance to make it work. a better way is to induce or inject a signal into the amplifier. how this could be done easily i don't know.

Alan Bienlein
01-05-2013, 9:37 AM
Had a neighbor like that with the bass about 15 years ago. I just set up a dipole antenna in the apartment so maximum signal strength was directed at there apartment. I then turned on the talk back on my cb, turned up the speaker volume and held the mic next to it to make it squeal. About 10 seconds of that and there was piece and quiet again!

glenn bradley
01-05-2013, 10:13 AM

Not legally. The discussion continues . . . Oops, I missed that Mike had already answered ;-)

glenn bradley
01-05-2013, 10:15 AM
I hear bass (only) from a FM radio stereo bleeding through a wall- makes it extremely difficult to concentrate

Uh, go next door and tell them that the music is great but, could they please roll the bass off a bit as it is disturbing you? I'll assume since you are looking for a passive-aggressive solution you have talked to the offender and he told you to go pound sand. Dealing with neighbors is always a bit sticky because we don't need enemies that close over a long period of time; like when you're at work and can't see what they're up to :rolleyes: If it is coming through the wall, you are living in a common structure and I would think they could be reasoned with. The other alternative is to find out if they hate country music and then BLAST some good-ole-boy stuff long and hard :D:D:D . . . OK, forget that last part.

Shawn Pixley
01-05-2013, 11:24 AM
I use to live next door to a ham radio operator. He came over my stereo speakers,telephone & the speakers on the tv. The stereo or TV didn't have to be on for it to happen. After I complained numerous times he finally fixed it some how...

I experienced the same thing in my teen years. The shortwave signal didn't interfere significantly when I played my music but you could hear his broadcast with my stereo off. I was able to block it eventually by shielding my speaker leads.

That said, I don't think there is much you could do legally to induce feedback in your neighbor's system.

terry mccammon
01-05-2013, 11:38 AM
Take up the bagpipes.

ray hampton
01-05-2013, 12:32 PM
Take up the bagpipes.

or buy/build a spark machine, other wise known as a telsa machine[sc]

jim hollenback
01-05-2013, 12:40 PM
The probably have the speakers on the floor and that transmits the vibrations. Ask them to put the speakers on bricks. I lived in an apartment and the stereo the gal upstairs played really thumped with bass. After banging on the door a number of times I finally told her to get some bricks and put her stereo speakers on bricks. We both were happy after that.

Jim Underwood
01-05-2013, 1:55 PM
Well since FM transmission seems to be prohibited....

What about that spark generator? Can it be done with 9 volts? Y'know something compact and cheap?

ray hampton
01-05-2013, 4:51 PM
Well since FM transmission seems to be prohibited....

What about that spark generator? Can it be done with 9 volts? Y'know something compact and cheap?

9 volts might do but a 12 volt battery will keep a charge longer