PDA

View Full Version : Air scrubber not working.

Joe Hillmann
01-04-2013, 2:31 PM
I built a filter for my lasers with 5 or 6 inches of activated charcoal as the filter. When I run it it filters out a LOT of the smoke but the smoke can still be smelled a bit and after about 20 minutes of cutting 1/4 pegboard it starts to get a bit hazy in the shop. At this point I don't have a hepa filter on it, I just built it and wanted to test it out. Will the hepa filter filter out the rest? I would really like to be able to vent the air from the laser back into the room in the winter but with the way the filter is working now that isn't possible.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Walt Langhans
01-04-2013, 4:20 PM
If you can, post some pictures of what you built so we can see what's going on. But off the top of my head, I'd first make sure the you have good seals on everything and it isn't leaking, and then my next question would be where is you fan located? It should be after the filter system so you have negative pressure on the filter you built, and then my next question is it providing enough air flow? But yeah a HEPA air filter can't hurt, you can pick one up at Sear for $30

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-wet-dry-vac-filter-hepa-rated-material/p-00917912000P

Ronald Erickson
01-04-2013, 4:39 PM
I've found if you don't prefilter the smoke, the smoke clogs up the charcoal with soot.

George Brown
01-04-2013, 5:22 PM
I have a prefilter, hepa filter, and then the charcoal filter (2 inches deep), and then the 1.5 hp fan (ex delta dust collecter). It works well, some smell, but nothing bad. My hepa filter is 24x24x12. I doubt if that small sears filter will give you the air flow that you need.

Dan Hintz
01-04-2013, 6:28 PM
At this point I don't have a hepa filter on it
There's your problem...

Dan Hintz
01-04-2013, 6:30 PM
I doubt if that small sears filter will give you the air flow that you need.

I have essentially the same filter in my design... has worked just fine for a couple of years now.

George Brown
01-04-2013, 6:38 PM
I have essentially the same filter in my design... has worked just fine for a couple of years now.

Do you get enough air flow?

That is a washable filter, do you wash it?