PDA

View Full Version : I have to tweak this!

Eric Gourieux
01-03-2013, 10:29 PM
Yes, tweak. Not tweet. I'm still in the process of finishing this HF but need some help with how to fix the finial. All was going according to plan until the burl inset in the finial morphed and became larger than I originally drew. It wasn't my fault! It just grew before my eyes...like magic :rolleyes: This resulted in a longer tip than planned. Well, at this point, they can't be changed. But, the base of the finial needs help. I don't think I can change the mouth of the HF, which is where I think the problem starts. How would you suggest I change the base of the finial to make this more pleasing to the eye?

BTW, the base of the HF isn't finished and not attached. I need to thin it out more. The "foot" of the base will be from the same burl. I'll post proper pictures when it's done.

Eucalyptus burl with resin inclusions, African blackwood.

6"w x 3" t without finial. The finial is 4.5" tall:confused:

PS: I've never used these emote faces before. It's refreshing.

Scott Conners
01-04-2013, 12:49 AM
The large curve of the base (2nd surface up from the lip of the HF) needs to have more curve to it - right now it's a bit too high and not a smooth curve, it has a distinct sharp bend in the middle. I would also make the initial rise off the lip shorter, starting about 2/3 of what you have now. That would also give more room for a nicer curve of the long curve. Work on the transition of lip to top, the top looks just a touch too large in diameter.

If you can chuck it up properly, I think the burl inset could use slightly more belly on the top curve, which would lighten it visually as well, helping the height. The bottom of the bead could have a more finished curve, under cut more, or a more deliberate ogee. In essence, make the "bead" slightly more round.

That's what I would do. I don't have time to photoshop it right now, but if what I said doesn't make sense I can make an example.

Philip Duffy
01-04-2013, 5:35 AM
Eric, I did not see the Eucs. section in the first glance but now have to ask; Why not make that segment larger in diameter? The blackwood top section is pretty skinny and long, and that's ok, but to me it should ride on a mid-section that has more mass. - my 2 Cents. Phil

Richard Jones
01-04-2013, 5:50 AM
I'll echo what Scott said about the base: more curve, less "foot". Should flow from the form, not from itself. I'm ok with the inset. Again echoing Scott, the first bead above the inset could stand some more ogee, maybe even to match the one above.

Beautiful piece.

Michelle Rich
01-04-2013, 5:56 AM
I'll be the odd opinion out person..I think that after your lower bulb I'd get rid of everything above that..just go to a clean point. I think your bulb shape is rather unique & I would keep that.. I look forward to a picture of this finished.

Curt Fuller
01-04-2013, 8:32 AM
I'll be the odd opinion out person..I think that after your lower bulb I'd get rid of everything above that..just go to a clean point. I think your bulb shape is rather unique & I would keep that.. I look forward to a picture of this finished.
I would have to agree with Michelle. The piece just above the burl insert needs to taper down to a smaller diameter quicker. Just above the burl it looks larger than the smallest part of the burl and I think that makes it look a little top heavy. Like Michelle said, near the top I would eliminate that last detail and go for just a small ball or candle flame shape at the tip. That's really a beautiful piece too.