PDA

View Full Version : Wedding toast from the best man

Erin Stringer
04-28-2005, 7:19 AM
I'm looking for some tips on writing a toast for my buddys wedding in a few weeks. I have some ideas in mind but would be interested in hearing any excellent or terrible toasting ideas that you all may have. (The excellent so I know what to say and the terrible so I know what not to say).

Thanks in advance,

Erin

John Hart
04-28-2005, 7:41 AM
I was the best man for my brother-in-law. I basically wrote how I watched him grow from a boy to a man and pointed out how his character changed and how I admired him...Plus threw in some funny stuff about how goofy he was. I also told of things I knew about the bride and then capped it off with how much I endorsed the marriage and how I expected to them to try despite the inevitable hardships to come and how proud I was of both of them.

Jeff Sudmeier
04-28-2005, 8:52 AM
Just write from the heart. That is the best advice I can give you. In my buddy's wedding I couldn't come up with anything for a week. That morning I just hit a roll and wrote what I was told was a wonderful speech. The content was much like John's.

Art Ogden
04-28-2005, 9:03 AM
The best 1 I ever heard included wishing the couple the best of LUCK.

L = Love

U= understanding

C= caring

K= kindness

With all 4 of the above any couple can survive anything.:)

Hal Flynt
04-28-2005, 12:24 PM
Ditto the above, and at the conclusion, ask the Groom to place his right hand on top of his Brides right hand and end by saying " I want all present here to witness that this will be the last time (Grooms name) will have the upper hand." :D Cheers!

Chris Padilla
04-28-2005, 1:00 PM
I gave my buddy and his new bride a short but sweet one:

"I will celebrate my fifth wedding anniversary in a few days [pause for some applause, say thank you], and in that time I have learned a lot but will pass on one simple but powerful piece of advice:

When you get in a fight [pause for laughter]...and you will [pause again for more laughter]...let the other one win."

That was it for mine and I handed over the mic to the next person. I could see they both sat there thinking just a bit about what I said and then broke out into smiles and laughter.

:D

Darren Ford
04-28-2005, 1:49 PM
You can probably put this in the terrible idea category, but the one and only time I have been best man at a wedding me and the groomsmen loaded up with toasted bread and chucked it at the couple when the time for the toast arrived. Someone (not me, I have terrible aim) knocked the bride in the side of the head with a particularly hard piece. You woudn't think a piece of toast would leave a red mark on a head but it will.

Erin Stringer
04-30-2005, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the ideas, I hope to write a rough draft this weekend. I may post it here to get some feedback. Hopefully it flows quickly and I can get back to the other chores.

Dan Mages
05-02-2005, 8:52 PM
Gentleman Jack's website has some great tips on toasting.
http://www.gentlemanjack.com/graces/toasts.asp

May the only troubles you have be the little ones running around the house. :)

Dan