PDA

View Full Version : Hello.

George Van Aken
01-03-2013, 3:50 PM
Just want to say hello to everyone on the forum. Forty-seven year old father of four here.

I can't say what exactly made me want to start carving wood, but I am looking forward to trying my hand at it.

Everyone's work looks so good. I hope to one day be able to make something as beautiful. :)

Jim Underwood
01-03-2013, 9:27 PM
Hi George, welcome to the forum.

It's a fun hobby. I'd invest in a carving glove and a thumbguard first thing though. Even though I've been whittling since I was old enough for my first pocket knife, I haven't quit nicking myself every once in a while.

Bruce Page
01-03-2013, 10:03 PM
Welcome George. I have always admired the artistic skill required to carve. A talent I lack. :(

Karl Andersson
01-04-2013, 8:24 AM
Hello George, welcome. I've been carving as a hobby for a few decades, but only started using "workholding devices" about 10 years ago. That also coincided with the last time I plunged a carving gouge into my left hand. I'd recommend you get a couple Jorgensen-style clamps to hold the work if you try carving in the round, or make a lap-board at least if doing relief carving, holding the piece down with one or two hand clamps. It also helps your cut control a lot when using chisels if you have both hands on the chisel (whittling is different, but you said you have chisels). Your idea about the 4x4 post sounds like a good start- but if you attach it to a 3' square of thick plywood with some 2x4 bracing you wouldn't have to make a hole in the floor and all that; your standing on the plywood would keep it from tipping. And you could take it outside on nice days. Since you like reading (I've done the same) get the Landis workbench book - it has a whole chapter on carving bench setups you could make with construction lumber. Be sure to read the Neanderthal haven forum here too - plenty of discussions on sharpening, tools, and benches. So go get some basswood (Michaels has it until you can get a real supplier), a way to hold your work, and make some chips!
Karl

George Van Aken
01-04-2013, 2:12 PM
Thanks for saying hi guys. I will for sure get the glove and finger guards, as well as a first aid kit to keep close at hand, (funny little pun there). Although I have no skills as of yet, I don't want to cover my neophite first attempts with blood either! ;)

Karl, I think you may be onto something there! Being able to move around would be better, limited space and all...

I will get the Landis book. I currently have in my collection The Workbench, a Complete Guide to Creating Your Perfect Bench by Lon Schleining, ISBN 1-56158-594-7. An excellent volume on the subject that I highly recomend.

Happy carving fellas!