PDA

View Full Version : veritas saw filing guide - have you seen it?

jamie shard
01-03-2013, 2:34 PM
This seems like genius:

http://oregonwoodworker.blogspot.com/2013/01/veritas-saw-filing-guide.html

Michael Fross
01-03-2013, 4:25 PM
Wow. This seems awesome. I can't wait to get my hands on this guy.....

Chris Griggs
01-03-2013, 4:34 PM
I like the looks of that an awful lot. I thought it would be some big thing that actually holds your file which I have no interest it, but it just replaces all of one's wooden guide blocks. That's something I would definitely be interested in. Rob, when can I get it and for how much?

Jason Coen
01-03-2013, 4:40 PM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y54/USPcompact/aba08b97653c52566a18a0c97620f442.jpg

:)

Mike Cogswell
01-03-2013, 4:59 PM
This seems like genius:

http://oregonwoodworker.blogspot.com/2013/01/veritas-saw-filing-guide.html

BRILLIANT!!!

When can I get one???

Tony Shea
01-03-2013, 5:00 PM
Lol, that's awesome Jason. I agree Chris, I assumed this was going to be a devise that attached the saw which is not something I find useful. I also will probably purchase one of these as I have a whole drawer full of wooden blocks to get my rake and fleam correct. This thing should prove to be more accurate and will take up very little space. Should be interesting to see how much $ it will cost.

Trevor Walsh
01-03-2013, 5:33 PM
I mirror Jason's sentiments.

Tony, it doesn't matter what it will cost. I will buy one (lets say at $X), but cconsidering the cost of shipping from C-land I feel bad buying only one thing from them. I like amortizing the cost of shipping. As a result I have a huge wish list there and when I really want one thing I buy a bunch to "save" shipping. Smart move Rob, working in Canada.

Mike Cogswell
01-03-2013, 7:03 PM
OK, Rob, time to start a pre-order list!!! I too am tired of making little blocks of wood drilled at various angles for various sizes of files.

Gabe Shackle
01-03-2013, 9:08 PM
Put me down for one!

Jack Curtis
01-04-2013, 4:13 AM
Me, too, looks like a very handy item.

Mark Baldwin III
01-04-2013, 5:22 AM
Nice. Can't wait to see that thing hit production. LV used to have another sharpening jig, but it hasn't been available for a while (for the life of me, I can't remember who made it). This one looks like it's infinitely more versatile and easier to use. Rob, you can just box one up for me when they're ready!

Philip Duffy
01-04-2013, 5:42 AM
I sure need one! Put me on The List! Phil

Chris Griggs
01-04-2013, 10:35 AM
I just sent Rob an email harassing him to post to tell us how much and when. I mean come'on! Its not like the president of a company with 2500 some employees can have anything better to do than entertain us knuckle heads....

Rob Lee
01-04-2013, 10:40 AM
I like the looks of that an awful lot. I thought it would be some big thing that actually holds your file which I have no interest it, but it just replaces all of one's wooden guide blocks. That's something I would definitely be interested in. Rob, when can I get it and for how much?

Hi Chris -

Workin' on the details.... and will post 'em later today!

Cheers -

Rob

Chris Griggs
01-04-2013, 10:44 AM
Hi Chris -

Workin' on the details.... and will post 'em later today!

Cheers -

Rob

Talk about prompt customer service! Thanks for the update Rob. We usually hear from you so immediately when a thread like this starts I thought maybe you hadn't seen the thread. Just wanted to make sure you had. Thanks for the super quick response.

Mike Cogswell
01-04-2013, 11:07 AM
Nice. Can't wait to see that thing hit production. LV used to have another sharpening jig, but it hasn't been available for a while (for the life of me, I can't remember who made it). This one looks like it's infinitely more versatile and easier to use. Rob, you can just box one up for me when they're ready!

Box? Who need's a box?

Trevor Walsh
01-04-2013, 1:54 PM
The box is all part of the surprise, I mean it's not that exciting when your mother just throws you a pair of socks on your birthday; the anticipation and subsequent joy/misery is predicated upon that mystery.

Gary Muto
01-04-2013, 2:06 PM
That looks really slick. I will have to make room for one next to my LV Backsaws.

Rob Lee
01-04-2013, 3:34 PM
Hi -

OK - got the details figured out...

We have them in stock, but not fully set up yet, so they will be orderable some time next week through the website. Of course, this will be after free shipping ends....so if you want one now, you'd have to place an order by phone, and cajole the sales rep into adding a "05G4601 at $39.50 " to your order....you will "have" to find something to order with it... as the 39.50 won't trigger free shipping on it's own.... (need .50 more!) .

Cheers -

Rob

Chris Griggs
01-04-2013, 4:06 PM
Cool! That soon, great. Thanks for the info Rob. I shall be ordering mine as soon as my next paycheck roles in. I have to be unselfish this month and buy my fiancee a birthday present... and right after Xmas too. That's two straight months of having to spend money on people other than myself! My first world problems are so tragic.... thankfully in February I can go back my usual selfish ways.

:D

Ooh, just remembered tax return season is approaching! That's my real holiday.... I celebrate by giving to the area of my tool shelf that is most in need...

Jim Matthews
01-04-2013, 4:06 PM
It's a little known fact that Rob coats all his tools with a finish that has addictive qualities; equal parts Poutine, Maple syrup and Cocaine.
It's baked at high temperatures into their familiar black paint and the unwary -junkie- *ahem* customer absorbs this through handling.

It cannot be refreshed, so the customer must order another tool to receive an additional dose.

It's the same thing Maple Leaf fans paint on their stadium seats when they've been statistically eliminated from the playoffs.

Chris Griggs
01-04-2013, 4:11 PM
It's a little known fact that Rob coats all his tools with a finish that has addictive qualities; equal parts Poutine, Maple syrup and Cocaine.
It's baked at high temperatures into their familiar black paint and the unwary -junkie- *ahem* customer absorbs this through handling.

It cannot be refreshed, so the customer must order another tool to receive an additional dose.

It's the same thing Maple Leaf fans paint on their stadium seats when they've been statistically eliminated from the playoffs.

That explains why the chisel handles smell like maple syrup (they really do too!!!). The whole story about it being part of the hardening and sealing is bologny.

Jack Curtis
01-04-2013, 7:03 PM
Just ordered mine, thanks, Rob. Also bought a piece of slate. :)

Randy Karst
01-04-2013, 7:54 PM
Just ordered mine, thanks, Rob. Also bought a piece of slate. :)
Ok Jack,
I give up, how did you order one? I cannot find it on their website as yet.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
01-04-2013, 8:08 PM
Ok Jack,
I give up, how did you order one? I cannot find it on their website as yet.

Randy - Rob's got the details a few posts above you - sounds like you'll have to order it by phone if you want to order now:

Hi -

OK - got the details figured out...

We have them in stock, but not fully set up yet, so they will be orderable some time next week through the website. Of course, this will be after free shipping ends....so if you want one now, you'd have to place an order by phone, and cajole the sales rep into adding a "05G4601 at $39.50 " to your order....you will "have" to find something to order with it... as the 39.50 won't trigger free shipping on it's own.... (need .50 more!) .

Cheers -

Rob

Randy Karst
01-04-2013, 8:35 PM
Joshua,

Mucho Thanks!

Mark Baldwin III
01-04-2013, 9:43 PM
Sweet. A new LV tool, that I can REALLY REALLY use...and be able to afford as soon as it comes out! I do get the sense that they somehow follow my checking account for the release of new tools. I just bought a new bike, and spent gobs on the engine for my chopper. Luckily, there's just enough left over for the filing guide.
(btw...the box is so that the addictive coating doesn't cause any ill effect with the shipping department:))

Trevor Walsh
01-04-2013, 11:15 PM
thankfully in February I can go back my usual selfish ways.

You mean Valentine's Day?

Chris Griggs
01-05-2013, 8:50 PM
You mean Valentine's Day?

I don't acknowledge Valentines Day. I made this cleat to LOML when we first started dating. Though sometimes I can't believe I'm still getting away with it.

Mike Cogswell
01-15-2013, 7:56 PM
Mine came yesterday - works great!!!

Mark Baldwin III
01-15-2013, 8:59 PM
Mine came yesterday - works great!!!

Still waiting for it to hit the web site. I prefer ordering that way, not much of a phone guy.
(phones were invented for playing video games and not talking, right?)

John Dykes
01-15-2013, 11:57 PM
Yep - I've been watching the website every day....

I've got a bunch of stuff to order before I come home from Afghanistan. Figure it'll go easier on me if it arrives around the same day I do... :)

Richard Verwoest
01-24-2013, 10:29 AM
So has this hit the web site yet? I cannot find it....

Rob Lee
01-24-2013, 11:39 AM

Me either..... ;)

I'm told I'll get to see the Feb catalog treatment later today or tomorrow...

I'll ask the web folks to put a rush on it...

Cheers -

Rob

Erik Manchester
01-24-2013, 11:48 AM
Richard,

As Rob Lee explains earlier in this thread, it isn't online yet but it can be ordered by phone using the stock number 05G4601.

I just ordered one from Doreen for $39.50 plus tax.

This will get a lot of use and save fiddling with little wooden blocks.

Rob Lee
01-24-2013, 12:47 PM
Hi John -

Looks like it will be up this afternoon... that usually means after 3:00PM...

Cheers -

Rob

Zach Dillinger
01-24-2013, 1:20 PM
I'm usually not a fan of new-fangled gadgetry, but darn it all if this thing doesn't look interesting. Rob, I may have to spring for one. Too bad I just got my order of boxwood tubes (http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=68353&cat=1,43326) from you guys... I could have saved big money!

Mark Baldwin III
01-24-2013, 6:40 PM
Mine should be here tomorrow. This will be one of the best Fridays ever...a box from Lee Valley and a box from Lie-Nielsen arriving on the same day. I knew all that over time I was working would pay off.

Ryan Baker
01-24-2013, 10:22 PM
Cool, it's up there now. I was waiting to see whether it would get posted before the 28th. Time to go finsih that order now. :)

(I've got one of those Lie-Nielsen boxes on the way too.)

John Dykes
01-25-2013, 6:48 AM
Ah great!

Well, I'm not sure how a $30 saw filing guide turned into a $514 order....

But maybe my wife will have forgotten about it before I get home from Afghanistan!

- JBD

Randy Briggs
01-25-2013, 10:13 AM
On the site now - just ordered mine....got a promotion on saw files with roll as well.

Mark Dorman
01-25-2013, 10:47 AM

It's in the new section. Saw File Guide (http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=70465&cat=51&ap=1)

Adam Petersen
01-25-2013, 11:22 AM
This looks really cool. I don't know that I'm going to drop $30 on it though. I usually do the same with a thin block of wood on the end of my file and then will use a piece of paper with the angle to maintain accuracy on crosscuts. This would make it nice, I'll have to wait for a birthday or something I think.

How many of you successfully sharpen your handsaws as it stands now but are still considering this tool? Just curious. I love Lee Valley and Veritas and they get most of my money, so I'm not trying to detract from this guide, heck, I'll probably end up with it eventually.

Stew Hagerty
01-25-2013, 11:23 AM
I just ordered mine. I couldn't find it either, even when I did a search (Someone probably needs to look into that Rob). Then I remembered seeing Rob post the part # earlier in this thread. So I punched that into the search bar and bingo, there it was. BTW that part # is: 05G4601

Sean Hughto
01-25-2013, 11:27 AM
I can presently do it, but I'm a hobbiest, and do it so infrequently that I'm glad for this gadget to make it more convenient - less time reminding myself of finer points (so to speak) I learned last time I did it - often months and months ago.

Zach Dillinger
01-25-2013, 11:47 AM
How many of you successfully sharpen your handsaws as it stands now but are still considering this tool? Just curious. I love Lee Valley and Veritas and they get most of my money, so I'm not trying to detract from this guide, heck, I'll probably end up with it eventually.

I sharpen my own handsaws, and do it quite often. I'm interested in this little guy simply because I have too darn many little blocks of wood with rake and fleam angles on them laying around my saw sharpening area. Plus, those wear out from installing and removing files all the time. This looks like an elegant solution. Note that I haven't bought one yet, but I'm thinking about it.

Mike Cogswell
01-25-2013, 12:09 PM
This looks really cool. I don't know that I'm going to drop $30 on it though. I usually do the same with a thin block of wood on the end of my file and then will use a piece of paper with the angle to maintain accuracy on crosscuts. This would make it nice, I'll have to wait for a birthday or something I think.

I just started filing my own saws, so I'm certainly in a different place from someone who has been doing it for a while. But even as a novice I've collected a small pile of little guide blocks. They work, but get loose and are not as accurate as this guide. They are also tedious to make, drilling the compound angle accurately requires too much fiddling with my drill press table. This is much quicker and more accurate.

Jim Koepke
01-25-2013, 1:18 PM
It is a clever little tool. Some day maybe some extra cash will come my way to afford one.

Like others my saw filing needs are only a small number or saws every year. My last saw to sharpen was my firewood saw. Just set a file in the gullet and put the rake guide on flat with a small ruler on the bench for fleam. It took less than 20 minutes per for the whole saw. Now all my small firewood has smooth and square ends. Plus it gets cut faster.

There are many of those little blocks of wood in my shop. They are mostly left on the file or in a small cabinet drawer.

jtk

Mark Baldwin III
01-25-2013, 8:13 PM
Mine came in today. I'm already loving this thing! My humble thoughts here: http://milwaukeemonastery.blogspot.com/2013/01/new-veritas-file-guide.html
Rob, when you need testers for the saw vise that I hope you're developing, I'll be more than happy to test it with my awesome little guide :)

Rob Lee
01-26-2013, 10:33 AM
Mine came in today. I'm already loving this thing! My humble thoughts here: http://milwaukeemonastery.blogspot.com/2013/01/new-veritas-file-guide.html
Rob, when you need testers for the saw vise that I hope you're developing, I'll be more than happy to test it with my awesome little guide :)

Hi -

We did design a saw vise, and spiked it. The tooling costs are just out of this world, and we'd have to sell it for at least $130-150.... just not good value.

Be glad to help you find an antique if you want one... though I think the way to go is to make one from wood - dead simple, and really effective. Line the jaws with leather, or a grip tape, and it damps well....

Cheers -

Rob

Gary Herrmann
01-26-2013, 11:22 AM
Just ordered mine. Running out of excuses to not be better at filing.

Mark Baldwin III
01-26-2013, 7:14 PM
Hi -

We did design a saw vise, and spiked it. The tooling costs are just out of this world, and we'd have to sell it for at least $130-150.... just not good value.

Be glad to help you find an antique if you want one... though I think the way to go is to make one from wood - dead simple, and really effective. Line the jaws with leather, or a grip tape, and it damps well....

Cheers -

Rob
Well, at least you tried! I have an antique that I like...but in my head the Veritas model is a lot nicer.
Speaking of antiques, doesn't this file guide have it's roots in an old tool from days of yore? If so, can we see pictures? Just being curious, I love old tools

Gary Herrmann
01-26-2013, 11:05 PM

Rob

I'm sure you did your research Rob, but based on the way your folks improve tested designs, I'll bet a lot of customers would spring for a vise.

I wish I had bought a Tucker vise when they were still available. Oh well.

Mike Brady
01-27-2013, 9:16 AM
The new guide is in their web catalog and is the first item on their "new releases" page.

Rob Lee
01-27-2013, 1:29 PM
Well, at least you tried! I have an antique that I like...but in my head the Veritas model is a lot nicer.
Speaking of antiques, doesn't this file guide have it's roots in an old tool from days of yore? If so, can we see pictures? Just being curious, I love old tools

Hi Mark -

It was the subject of an Article in one of our past newsletters.... you can see it here:

http://www.leevalley.com/us/newsletters/Woodworking/7/2/patents.htm

Cheers -

Rob

Ryan Baker
01-27-2013, 8:58 PM
Actually, $130-150 doesn't sound all that high for a good saw vise. The Grammercy one, for example, is $170. I haven't been pricing vintage ones lately, but a good one will probably be in the same range. It wouldn't be very high volume, but there probably is some market (and I actually think it is an expanding market). But I'm sure Rob knows the numbers way better than I do on this. :)

Mark Baldwin III
01-28-2013, 6:04 AM
Actually, $130-150 doesn't sound all that high for a good saw vise. The Grammercy one, for example, is $170. I haven't been pricing vintage ones lately, but a good one will probably be in the same range. It wouldn't be very high volume, but there probably is some market (and I actually think it is an expanding market). But I'm sure Rob knows the numbers way better than I do on this. :)
I was kind of thinking the same thing, $130 isn't too hateful for a new saw vise. However, my antique cost me about $20. The vintage ones show up all the time at antique stores around here for under $25. Sometimes it feels like the only tools some of these stores have are saw vises and crank grinders. Most people can also make a wooden one easy enough. LV is probably making the right decision by not producing the tool...even though there's a few of us that would like to have it.
And Rob, thanks for the newsletter link. I must've missed that one. I've been checking my e-mail by phone lately and sometimes I miss things.

Mike Cogswell
01-28-2013, 10:46 AM
Hi -

<snip>

Cheers -

Rob

As much as I like your tools, I have to agree that was probably a good business decision. There are so many good vintage ones out there that they sell for less than the raw materials for a new one would probably cost Veritas.

I have an excellent Wentworth that I was fortunate enough to get for free, but good serviceable Disston, Wentworth and Sargent saw vises are readily available on line and in the antique stores for under $50, often more like $20 or $25.

BTW, used the guide last night to file an 1865 Disston number 7. The more I use it, the more I like it. This afternoon I'm going to use it on a 10" Disston number 4 backsaw, although I don't need it as a guide on a rip blade I find it makes a nice handle for the other end of the file :)

Mike Cogswell
01-28-2013, 11:01 AM

I wonder how many they sell at $170. Vintage ones are a fraction of that price.

Stew Hagerty
01-28-2013, 2:51 PM
Hi -

Cheers -

Rob

Hey Rob,

I just had to reply to your post because I have an unusual saw vise. It is a patented vise by Aaron Binkerd and manufactured by the L D Gunn Folding Saw Clamp Company of Allegheny, PA. I found it at a yard sale. When I first looked at it, I almost didn't buy it because it didn't look like the jaws closed tightly enough to clamp a saw. However, upon closer examination, the jaws have grooves down the middle and through holes at each end. But it still didn't hit me until I dislodged something from one of the grooves. It turned out to be a piece of leather. That's when the light bulb went on. I bought the vise, took it home and threaded in some leather shoestrings. Bingo, I had a fantastic vise. It clamps rock solid without marring, dampens all vibration, and at 14" it's a fairly long. The only other thing I had to do was mount it to a shop-made jig because the way this mounts is with hooks on the stationary jaw that I assume are suppose to hook into dog holes. Unfortunately, it doesn't fit mine. But it's ok, I just clamp the jig in my bench vise and I'm ready to sharpen. I'd highly recommend that if any of you ever run across one of these to snatch it up.

Rob Lee
01-28-2013, 3:39 PM
Stew -

Most excellent score!

I don't have one of those..... :( (yet!)

Cheers -

Rob

Stew Hagerty
01-28-2013, 4:04 PM
Stew -

Most excellent score!

I don't have one of those..... :( (yet!)

Cheers -

Rob

Well, I'd probably be will willing to sell it to you. For an outragously high price of course. :D

Hey, I need the money so I can buy more stuff from you...

Zach Dillinger
01-28-2013, 4:07 PM
Sounds like a bartering opportunity to me... :)