PDA

View Full Version : Anybody use tool rest extensions?

Mike D Harris
01-03-2013, 1:12 PM
I'm making an articulated arm hollowing jig for my lathe and am thinking about using the tool rest extension as a secondary banjo. I need to decide if I drill it out to 1" or leave it at 25mm. If I drill it out, I can no longer use it as a tool rest extension. My lathe is underpowered for larger than 12" turnings, but I did rotate the headstock about 20 degrees the other day so I wouldn't have to lean over the ways. For what I was doing I didn't need the extension, but perhaps there are times it would be handy.

Also, any tips for chucking up a 1" steel rod for filing down to 25mm and boring a hole in the end? My chuck jaws only go down to 1.25". I tried boring a 1" hole in a block held in the chuck, but it didn't hold it very tight.

Thanks

Steve Bistritz
01-03-2013, 10:10 PM
I have chucked up numerous round objects for one project or another. I use pieces of copper, plastic, brass pipe or tubing depending on if I am expanding diameters or just protecting the item from jaw marks. If I dont have what I need at home I hit the borg with the item and experiment in the plumbing dept till I achieve the diameter I need. Then I cut a few pieces the size i need, then cut out approx 1/4 to 1/2 an inch out of the side so it will squeeze the item as the jaws close. Almost forgot, you can fine tune the fit with electrical tape if needed...hope this helps you out

Eric Gourieux
01-03-2013, 11:02 PM
Mike,
For what it's worth, I have done a lot of turning and I don't even know what a tool rest extension is. Obviously, I've not used one (that I know of)

Scott Conners
01-04-2013, 12:37 AM
How about chucking it up between centers to file? I'd use a wooden cup chuck on the drive end and a 60° live center on the other end. Always file with the tail of the file away from you (on the bottom of the stock typically).

I'd drill out the extension and buy a 1"x25mm split bushing to let me continue using 25mm attachments.

Mike D Harris
01-04-2013, 9:49 AM
"I'd drill out the extension and buy a 1"x25mm split bushing to let me continue using 25mm attachments." - Thanks for that suggestion. That makes my life a lot easier.

Nice chucking tips too!