PDA

View Full Version : Table Saw Died just in time for tax season

Jamie Lynch
01-03-2013, 11:05 AM
It was a sudden grinding sound followed by a high pitched whine and the blade stopped. My Delta 36-600 had died, this time I think for good. The motor still turns on, but the shaft doesn’t turn. Since its a direct drive, I don’t hold much hope in repairing it.
I've been into woodworking for 15+ years and this will be my third table saw. The first was a bench top that was handed down to me and I handed it down when I found the 36-600 for $20 on CL (It just needed a set of brushes). I'm definitely open to used saws, but am really considering a new "Last saw".
I'm looking into the Grizzly 1023RXL, G0661, Jet XactaSaw, PM2000, PM64B and just about everything else on the market. Would I regret opting for a contractor or hybrid instead of a cabinet?
At what point does 1.5-1.75 hp become to small? And at what point do you really start to appreciate 3hp?

Thanks!

Rich Riddle
01-03-2013, 11:17 AM
You would regret opting for a contractor or hybrid saw if you want a last saw. If you want all the new safety features, you have to purchase new. If I was in your position and had the room for it, there is a used Powermatic advertised for sale in the forum I would jump at buying. It's a bit far for you to go, but other options closer to you might exist.

Jerry Wright
01-03-2013, 12:04 PM
Some Delta direct drive saws actually have a small belt within the housing connecting the motor shaft to the output shaft. Don't want to discourage anyone on the prowl for a new saw, but for $25 you might be back In business.

Jeff Duncan
01-03-2013, 1:41 PM
What defines a "last saw" is going to be very different for different people. There are a lot of guys out there happily plugging away on old Craftsman saws in their garages. Many are happy with their cabinet saws, and then their are guys like me who are always looking for something just a bit bigger and more powerful:D

Now in terms of when you need more power.....I believe ripping large quantities of hardwoods is a place where you'll want more power. If I had to pick a table saw as a good daily driver that would fit the needs of most guys I'd pick an entry level cabinet saw w/ 3hp motor. But as I mentioned, that doesn't mean you can't be perfectly happy with something a bit smaller. I got a LOT of work done on a 2 hp Unisaw for about a decade before I finally killed the motor. And if for some reason I had nothing but a contractor saw to work with, I'm sure I could manage just fine....for a little while anyway;)

good luck,
JeffD

Mike Hollis
01-03-2013, 7:26 PM
I just want to know how you managed to kill your saw on purpose without the wife seeing through you?

Cary Falk
01-03-2013, 7:45 PM
With the price of Grizzly cabinet saws so close to the average hybrid I don't know why anyone wouldn't step up to a cabinet saw unless it is the power requirement. Like someone mentioned,iIf you want a riving knife, you have to go new. I wouldn't buy another saw unless it had a riving knife. Contractor saws are a dying breed and wouldn't even consider them unless need something cheap from CL to get by. I have the G1023RL and love it.

Ronald Blue
01-03-2013, 8:32 PM
If you have a way to haul it take a drive to Springfield and get a hands on look at what you would be getting. If not it's still worth the drive to browse the show room at Grizzly. They have a demo room but I haven't ever been in there. You aren't terribly far away and it is like taking a kid to a candy store to browse their show room.

Joseph Tarantino
01-03-2013, 11:24 PM
cabinet saws are supposed to be the be all and end all of tablesaws. so when i had a chance to get a 3hp unisaw for $40 in gas money, i got it to see what all the hoopla was about. after refurbishing it, i sold it and kept two emerson electric built 10" CI TSs ( a c-man and a ridgid). space is tight in a 12X20 shop and the open stands of the contractor saws and their herc-u-lifts provided better mobility than the unisaw. and with a sharp rip blade, there haven't been any materials that the saws haven't handled. did i have a "last saw for life" with the unisaw? yes. now that i sold it, do i miss it? not at all. too often, the fascination with "more power" convinces us to buy more saw than is needed. for $1500, the griz 0691 is a great saw and a great value. but a ridgid 4512 or a griz 0715 should provide many years of acceptable performance.

just try to avoid products from jet and powermatic. long on cost, short on delivery and pricey. if a cabinet saw becomes something that is needed, griz provides a product that seldom, if ever, receives negative comments. there's noting that a jet or PM will do that a comparable griz won't do for significantly less.

Jamie Lynch
01-04-2013, 6:27 AM
Some Delta direct drive saws actually have a small belt within the housing connecting the motor shaft to the output shaft. Don't want to discourage anyone on the prowl for a new saw, but for $25 you might be back In business.
I looked at the parts breakdown and fortunately...um I mean unfortunately... There is no such belt. Thanks for the tip though.*

I just want to know how you managed to kill your saw on purpose without the wife seeing through you?
The secret is to set it up where the bearings whine and the motor sparks months in advance. Then it's a slow death and she is none the wiser :rolleyes:
In all seriousness though, I really expected as much from a $20 saw. This is its third death. It served me well while I saved up for something better.

If you have a way to haul it take a drive to Springfield and get a hands on look at what you would be getting. If not it's still worth the drive to browse the show room at Grizzly. They have a demo room but I haven't ever been in there. You aren't terribly far away and it is like taking a kid to a candy store to browse their show room.
I have been heavily leaning towards a trip up there. I've got a 1/2 ton, so I can buy the candy and bring it home. Only problem is getting 583 lbs out when I get home. Any ideas?

Thomas L. Miller
01-04-2013, 10:10 AM
Jamie,
When I brought my Sawstop ICS home, I had to unload it from my small Toyota PU, by myself I might add. I went to an equipment rental place and got a hoist they rent for roofers to haul shingles up to the roof. I tied strapping around the table and raised the saw and then lowered it onto it's mobile stand. I was able to roll it right into the shop and finish the assembly. I had no trouble and the rental cost me all of $35.00. The rental even included the rental company delivering the hoist and taking it back when I finished the exercise. My SS weighs about 650 lbs. The whole process took all of about 15 minutes. Hope this helps.
Tom

Cary Falk
01-04-2013, 10:23 AM
I have removed many heavy objects out of the back of my truck by muself. A table saw is pretty easy. Unpack it and remove all of the unnecessary weight that you can. Put a blanket down in the bed of the truck and lay the saw down on it's side. slide the saw out of the end of the truck and place the saw on the floor with the top still supported by the tailgate. Put some 2x4 blocks on the floor if the bed is too tall. Once one edge of the saw is on the floor rock the saw onto it's base.