PDA

View Full Version : Finally Picked a Planer

Rich Riddle
01-03-2013, 10:53 AM
I was looking for a planer about 15" and was 95% certain the choice would be a first Grizzly stationary tool purchase of a 453 with a Shelix head. So here is the final choice, but it wasn't a new Grizzly. Certainly hope it ends up being as good as the Grizzly. After negotiations, it came in at the same range, minus the Shelix head but plus a jointer and mortising attachment. These photographs are terrible but proof the Creekers demand. They will be in the next post because of difficulty loading. The true color of the jointer/planer is the dark yellow in the one picture. The minor surface rust has been removed; apparently the former owner didn't apply preventative before I picked it up.

Rich Riddle
01-03-2013, 10:58 AM

Peter Quinn
01-03-2013, 12:09 PM
I'm reading this on my phone.... Is that a minimax combo? Major upgrade from the bear, congrats to you, can't wait to hear your thoughts after using it.

David Kumm
01-03-2013, 12:25 PM
FS 35 was a nice machine. 14"? Yes it is an upgrade. Dave

Rich Riddle
01-03-2013, 1:19 PM
I'm reading this on my phone.... Is that a minimax combo? Major upgrade from the bear, congrats to you, can't wait to hear your thoughts after using it.
Yes, it's the MiniMax FS35 Jointer Planer. It's a 14" model. Some members here like the MiniMax and others report they dislike them; it seems to be a somewhat love-hate relationship. This seemed a better buy, even used, than the new Grizzly would have been and we agreed to a mutually agreeable, albeit not a "you suck", price. It has the advantage of having a horizontal mortising attachment that I plan to use in the near future. I can still get parts for it if it does break.

It was a bear to load even on a trailer. The garage from which it came was at the bottom of a hill with a hard 90 degree turn. Of course the drive was only about seven feet wide. The retired gentlemen who sold his shop helped as much as possible, but his health had forced him to sell his tools. We had to use a come along attached to fabric straps to get it up the ramp while I lifted on the heavy end going upward. It's much heavier than I thought. Getting it into my garage was a simple three minute endeavor. The footprint doesn't take any more garage than the previous Jet model. It still got a sideways glance from SHMBO.

I planed a board this morning and it works flawlessly. The old timer who sold it recently replaced the blades.

David Kumm
01-03-2013, 2:09 PM
Rich, I believe the 35 is a pretty highly regarded machine. The JP complaints I've seen relate more to the 30 and seldom to the larger machines. The 35 was well built and seemed to hold settings well. Dave

Rich Riddle
01-03-2013, 5:02 PM
Rich, I believe the 35 is a pretty highly regarded machine. The JP complaints I've seen relate more to the 30 and seldom to the larger machines. The 35 was well built and seemed to hold settings well. Dave
Thanks for that update; it's assuring. It's certainly a heavy feeling unit. Glad to have the jointer planer I will use until eternity calls.

Jim Andrew
01-03-2013, 9:17 PM
Now I see the reason for the other thread.

Rich Riddle
01-04-2013, 11:50 AM
Now I see the reason for the other thread.
I was really looking at it for another woodworker in our club, but he balked and said he didn't want to spend more than $500. The seller had receipts and documentation for when it was purchased and has kept it and all his tools in pristine condition. He's a hobbyist and was the original owner. After looking at it for the other member and not knowing his budget, I decided to get it when he decided the seller would not accept $500 for it.