PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried SlipIt

Jim Andrew
01-03-2013, 8:53 AM
With my order for new planer and shaper, decided to try a can of SlipIt for the table tops. Not much on the can for directions, says brush it on, or wipe it on, but stir first. So I brushed it on, expecting it to dry, and next day found the tops still to be greasy. So I just wiped the excess off. Sent an email to the company website, but have had no reply, but guess that is the way it works. Was expecting a product that acts like a finish, not like a wax.

Rich Riddle
01-03-2013, 8:58 AM
It has fairly mixed reviews and a couple of bad ones that would make me pass:

http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-G5562-Sil-Free-Sliding-Compound/product-reviews/B0000E6TJ8/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt/191-3544479-0620156?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

One reviewer discussed the lack of instructions and indicated the "chemist" for the company never returned his calls. I would pass on it.

J.R. Rutter
01-03-2013, 9:30 AM
I have used in on a moulder, but found that a dry film type works as well or better without the wet residue.

Dick Mahany
01-03-2013, 10:08 AM
I have used it, but only on wood sliders, sticky doors and the like. I have noticed that the can always seems to have this stuff seeping even when the lid seems tightly closed and it is always very oily. I can't imagine using it on metal tool tops but have used Bostik Top Cote with excellent results. It sprays on, dries almost instantly and provides a very slick and relatively long lasting coating after a light buff.

Cliff Polubinsky
01-03-2013, 1:02 PM
Jim,

I use it all the time. Wipe it on, wipe it off. Leaves the surface nice and slippery. I use it on my planer, jointer and saw.

Cliff

Dave Cav
01-03-2013, 1:38 PM
. Not much on the can for directions, says brush it on, or wipe it on, but stir first. So I brushed it on, expecting it to dry, and next day found the tops still to be greasy. So I just wiped the excess off.

My experience too. The stuff is a mess on metal. I'll stick with paste wax and I'll make someone a good deal the rest of the can. You come by, you can have it.