PDA

View Full Version : When does one have enough tools

Rich Riddle
01-03-2013, 8:13 AM
Another unnamed member in our home has been hinting around the question of when does one own enough tools, stationary power tools, small power tools, and hand tools. Along that questioning, what would you consider essential shop tools.

Dan Masshardt
01-03-2013, 8:19 AM
Your second question is interesting.

The first question sounds like a wife question. :-).

Jim Andrew
01-03-2013, 8:30 AM
That question does require some thinking. Think it depends on your shop situation. A guy does need some room to work. I have seen guys shops that hardly had room to move, let alone work, because they had more tools and equipment than space. But hey, you can move out into the driveway on nice days. Sounds like you need to build something nice for the wife.

Stan Lightner
01-03-2013, 8:31 AM
Another unnamed member in our home has been hinting around the question of when does one own enough tools, stationary power tools, small power tools, and hand tools. Along that questioning, what would you consider essential shop tools.

Never, ever too many tools. :)

#2 depends on what you do. I'm a toolmaker by trade and have a toolbox full of precision measuring instruments that most would not know how to use. That is in addition to my metal lathe, milling machine, welding equipment, etc.

Dennis Ford
01-03-2013, 8:34 AM
You have enough tools when you die.
Essential tools to start; hand saw, hand plane, couple of chisels, straight edge, measuring device.

ken masoumi
01-03-2013, 8:34 AM
Basic essential tools in my humble woodworking shop are:
1=Bandsaw.
2=Table saw.
6" edge jointer.
4= Planer.
5= router.
6=Drill press.
7=small drill.
8=Vacuum/dust collector.
9=Marking,measuring tools.
10=Clamps.
Then you start adding and upgrading and end up with at least two of each and we all know about not ever having enough clamps .At this point I have absolutely no excuse not to be able to build small to medium projects,the only thing lacking is experience.

Steve Kohn
01-03-2013, 8:40 AM
You never have enough tools. I do lack the space to put any more major tools in the shop. And I keep the wife happy by building projects for our children and grandchildren.

george newbury
01-03-2013, 8:43 AM
Another unnamed member in our home has been hinting around the question of when does one own enough tools, stationary power tools, small power tools, and hand tools.
Does this unnamed member have lot's of things like shoes? Kitchen gadgets?

One owns enough tools when one can accomplish all the jobs that need to be done with an acceptable level of effort.

Along that questioning, what would you consider essential shop tools.
Since their are such a wide variety of "shops" I think trash cans would be essential for all.

Rich Riddle
01-03-2013, 8:50 AM
Does this unnamed member have lot's of things like shoes? Kitchen gadgets?
Shoes and purses, indeed. I don't go in the unnamed person's closet to count those sorts of things, but the unnamed person has a closet dedicated to shoes.

Duane Bledsoe
01-03-2013, 9:03 AM

Jim Foster
01-03-2013, 9:14 AM
Do you collect them or make stuff? That should help with the answer :)

Shawn Russell
01-03-2013, 9:20 AM
I am not sure we can answer the question without knowing about what sort of woodworking you do?

I can tell you from my experience I will be doing built ins, trim, both small and large furniture pieces and very small turnings being a hybrid woodworker.
1. band saw
2. drill press
3. jointer
4. planer
5. trac saw
6. chop saw
7. lathe
8. router table
8. planes: couple smoothers, jack, jointer is on the way
9. bench and mortise chisels
10. files and rasps
11. clamps.. errr just a couple clamps :)
12. sharpening stones
13. miter box which will replace the chop saw pretty soon.
14. mallet
15. hand saws: rip, cross-cut, dovetail.
16. saw files
17. bench and assembly table
18. a mix of power and hand drills and drivers
19. screw drivers, sockets, wrenches and allen keys

And then the obvious glues, stains, and thinners.

Rich Riddle
01-03-2013, 9:58 AM
Do you collect them or make stuff? That should help with the answer :)
I make stuff. Some tools get used more than others. For instance the Unisaw gets used every few days but the Inca 259 small table saw doesn't. The only tool I rarely use is an old Walker Turner lathe. It just sits in it's place high up on the shelf.

paul cottingham
01-03-2013, 10:13 AM
I have the basic list from "the anarchists toolchest" give or take a few tools. I can build anything I want with that small collection of tools. And I'm not a very good woodworker.
My space is small ( 9x20 garage) so space is more important than anything.
Mind you, who am I kidding? You can never have enough tools!

John Piwaron
01-03-2013, 10:17 AM
Clearly a wife question. My wife has asked it. There is no good answer.

Second question - essential tools are those required to build the project you're working on.

Jeff Duncan
01-03-2013, 10:19 AM
Two different questions....both easily answered.

"Essential shop tools" are the tools one needs to complete the task in front of them....in the shop;)

"When does one have enough tools"...easy, when you feel like you don't need anymore!

I can't imagine I would ever feel as though I had enough tools....but it's not for me to tell anyone else they can't feel that way:confused:

JeffD

Prashun Patel
01-03-2013, 10:21 AM
The only time one has enough tools is before one ever owns one.

After that it's all down hill.

"Essential" is all relative. When I started, only a cordless drill and handsaw were 'essential'. Two years ago, a $300 doweling jig was 'essential'. This summer, a $300 crank to raise the router up and down because I'm too lazy to stoop under the table was 'essential'. Lately, a $400 hunk of metal to make the edge of a board straight is looking pretty darn 'essential'.

This sliding definition of 'essential' is best illustrated to SWMBO by asking her how many bags or shoes are 'essential'.

paul cottingham
01-03-2013, 10:38 AM
This sliding definition of 'essential' is best illustrated to SWMBO by asking her how many bags or shoes are 'essential'.
Man, if only it was that simple. I think I own more shoes than my wife, and I own 3 pairs of shoes, and one of the pairs are dress shoes I never wear.
swmbo collects handbags, but they are all funky and whimsical, so I enjoy her collecting them.

Rich Riddle
01-03-2013, 10:40 AM
To give you an idea of what caused the question. My current list of stationary tools in her "garage" also known as my shop:

1. Unisaw
2. Inca 259 table saw (small)
3. Powermatic 143 14" wood/metal bandsaw (just rebuilt and replaces 141)
4. Powermatic 141 14" wood bandsaw (being rebuilt and likely sold).
5. Jet J-3410 horizontal bandsaw (rebuilt but needs painting)
6. Rockwell 6x48 belt sander on base
7. 6" Rockwell Jointer (My original, given to friend but he hasn't collected. Scheduled in March 2012 - NOT in shop)
8. 10" Inca 550 Jointer/Planer (might consider parting with it but a great tool)
9. 14" Minimax FS35 Jointer/Planer (just purchased yesterday to replace 8" Jet Shelix Model)
10. 12" Foley Belsaw Planer/Molder model 685 5 HP (will sell most likely unless start making trim).
11. 17" Rockwell 17-600 Variable Speed Drill Press
12. Jet 16/32 Drum Sander (used to be Performax)
13. Jet JWS-22CS Shaper
14. Powermatic 719T Mortiser

I realize many of these are entry-level machines for some of you, but for the most part I don't foresee many upgrades.

Jay Rasmussen
01-03-2013, 12:45 PM
For me having enough tools is when I’m doing a project and I don’t think “I wish I had that” or “It would be a lot better if I had one of those.

The essentials question is driven at a personal level that only that craftsperson can answer.

Kevin Bourque
01-03-2013, 1:14 PM
I have at least 50 screwdrivers in a toolbox under my basement stairs that are bent, cracked, chipped,or broken in some other way that I refuse to throw away.
I have at least 25 screwdrivers in my tool chest of which I really only ever use 4 or 5.
And then there's my collection of chisels...

Larry Whitlow
01-03-2013, 1:15 PM

What amazes me is one of those Gucci bags costs more than my bandsaw. I guess the good news is they don't take up as much space.

Carl Beckett
01-03-2013, 1:24 PM
I have enough tools!

Now that I no longer work on automobiles so much (its really nice to have a car that Im not crawling up under in the middle of winter, with frozen fingers trying to get a bolt loose). Anyway, I have all the tools I need for those automotive tasks, because I just dont do them anymore!!

Ditto on the digging, field and yard work type tools.

For a long time I felt I didnt need many 'contractor' tools - I was either renting or then had a brand new house, and so things like rip saws and lots of remodeling type tools I just didnt need and had the basics so it was enough.

For large stationary tools. I have enough. Too many in fact, and am getting rid of some. I had an extra incra fence, a shaper, an extra drum sander.... all getting purged. Some tools I got that were crap and I never use.... they are going.

I do still have a desire for more hand tools, and am going to add more of these to the collection. Even though I have 'enough' - so in this way its not enough. And most likely I will someday start a project along a different genre - like a canoe or kayak - or stained glass (oh wait... I already did some stained glass a decade ago and have those tools in a basket in the cabinet.....).

So do I have enough? Yes. But now... as it turns out.... I need 'different' tools.

Keith Westfall
01-03-2013, 1:25 PM
When she has enough shoes... :eek:

John Coloccia
01-03-2013, 1:27 PM
when does one own enough tools

Funny, Rich doesn't sound like a female name.

ha ha...OK, seriously it's actually even possible to own TOO many tools. Believe me, I know...I'm constantly selling off tools and rotating things in and out, both because of space and because processes change, tools become obsolete, etc. Keeping around and maintaining stuff you're not using is like a boat anchor.

To give you an idea of what caused the question. My current list of stationary tools in her "garage" also known as my shop:

1. Unisaw
2. Inca 259 table saw (small)
3. Powermatic 143 14" wood/metal bandsaw (just rebuilt and replaces 141)
4. Powermatic 141 14" wood bandsaw (being rebuilt and likely sold).
5. Jet J-3410 horizontal bandsaw (rebuilt but needs painting)
6. Rockwell 6x48 belt sander on base
7. 6" Rockwell Jointer (My original, given to friend but he hasn't collected. Scheduled in March 2012 - NOT in shop)
8. 10" Inca 550 Jointer/Planer (might consider parting with it but a great tool)
9. 14" Minimax FS35 Jointer/Planer (just purchased yesterday to replace 8" Jet Shelix Model)
10. 12" Foley Belsaw Planer/Molder model 685 5 HP (will sell most likely unless start making trim).
11. 17" Rockwell 17-600 Variable Speed Drill Press
12. Jet 16/32 Drum Sander (used to be Performax)
13. Jet JWS-22CS Shaper
14. Powermatic 719T Mortiser

I realize many of these are entry-level machines for some of you, but for the most part I don't foresee many upgrades.

That sounds pretty reasonable, Rich. I don't have a large shop, and I don't consider myself to have a lot of tools. Still, I have:

1) SawStop Contractor
2) 18" Delta drill press
3) Clearvue cyclone
4) Jet 22/44 drum sander
5) Jet JJP12 jointer/planer
6) Grizzly G0514X2 bandsaw
7) Grizzly G0555 bandsaw
8) Rikon 48" belt/disc sander
9) Ryobi belt/disc sander
10) 48"X32" cnc router
12) Buffing arbor w/12" buffs

I just sold a ShopFox pin router. I also had a router table built into my table saw, though I've removed that as I no longer use a router table for anything and if I need one I'll get a real one. I've sold off a bunch of other things too. I even have an old Delta table saw with no wings or fence and I topped with wood and use as a work table. This is almost too much for me, BTW. I'd love to dump the table saw if I could. At this point, I would like to move down to a 4" jointer, and then just get a lunchbox planer. Maybe just dump the TS and Jointer/Planer entirely for a European combo like a Hammer (that would be great). Doesn't really help the too many tools problem, but if you're going to have too many they may as well be nice.

You do have quite a few redundant tools, though.

mike holden
01-03-2013, 2:03 PM
Does your wife sew or knit? If so, ask them if they have enough material, thread, yarn, etc.
My wife does not question my wood stash as her fabric/yarn stash is much larger (grin).
Mike

Sid Matheny
01-03-2013, 5:18 PM
When I'm 6' under and not until then!!!

Sid

mreza Salav
01-03-2013, 5:58 PM
I have never stopped making things because I felt I didn't have enough or good tools. Built quite a few things with the crappiest of the tools. Of course over the time I upgraded most of those and got better/more tools. Surprisingly, it's always my wife who says buy the best tools and it's me who is trying to balance the use/need with price. So I never complain.

Kent A Bathurst
01-03-2013, 6:36 PM
[QUOTE=Rich Riddle;2030851]Another unnamed member in our home has been hinting around the question of when does one own enough tools, stationary power tools, small power tools, and hand tools.QUOTE]

Trick question. Any form of acknowledgement - much less reply - will send you down a blind alley from which there is no return. Do not take the bait.

John Piwaron
01-03-2013, 6:40 PM
When she has enough shoes... :eek:

And then the fight began. :)

guy knight
01-03-2013, 8:45 PM
when one has no more room and everything has been upgraded to the best stuff there is i am half way there lol

Rick Moyer
01-03-2013, 8:50 PM
You need to buy tools at this place:

Wil Limanen
01-03-2013, 8:52 PM
I made my wife a new kitchen with all my nice tools. Now she understands why I need all those nice tools and more. You should make her something unique.

Wil

Bruce Wrenn
01-03-2013, 9:20 PM
I'm not the person to ask! I'm the owner of a Unisaw, five Delta contractor's saws, Delta 12' RAS, Rockwell 9" RAS ( both center pivot design), three Craftsman 10" RAS's, three Delta 14" band saws, two Delta 12" lunch box planers, Delta 15" planer, Rockwell 13" planer, twenty seven routers ( I just found out you could change bits instead of routers,) two 3 X 21 belt sanders, five PC ROS's, six PC Speed Bloc sanders, nine air compressors, three 6" jointers, dozen staplers and nailers. (I also have some tools on permanent loan, not included in list) But I don't have a tool that has ever cost me anything, all have paid their way with jobs completed. I earn my living in the shop.

Andrew Joiner
01-03-2013, 10:55 PM
Rich, You need to tell your wife about Bruce!

Michael Moscicki
01-03-2013, 11:04 PM
I'm not the person to ask! I'm the owner of a Unisaw, five Delta contractor's saws, Delta 12' RAS, Rockwell 9" RAS ( both center pivot design), three Craftsman 10" RAS's, three Delta 14" band saws, two Delta 12" lunch box planers, Delta 15" planer, Rockwell 13" planer, twenty seven routers ( I just found out you could change bits instead of routers,) two 3 X 21 belt sanders, five PC ROS's, six PC Speed Bloc sanders, nine air compressors, three 6" jointers, dozen staplers and nailers. (I also have some tools on permanent loan, not included in list) But I don't have a tool that has ever cost me anything, all have paid their way with jobs completed. I earn my living in the shop.

How big is your shop? Why not sell all the table saws and radial arm saws and just get a euro slider?

Alan Wright
01-03-2013, 11:12 PM
Whenever I think i am done, I get an idea in my head. Last year I convinced myself I needed to be able to veneer, so I spent a few weeks lookikng over joewoodworker's site and now I have a veneer press. Then I decided I needed better and sharper chisels, so I bought a few new chisels and get set up with a scary sharp system. Tonight I built a little wooden holder for my 4 old chisels and my three new ones. A couple years ago, I came across a thread about router lifts. I didn't know they existed, but after reading about them, I just had to have one. Now I do. If I could stay off this site, I would probably not know about all the cool things I just have to have and I'd think I was done.... but what fun is that...

Jim Neeley
01-03-2013, 11:13 PM
I dunno about "too many" but I found a good way to "amortize" them. When I got a new Uni, my son and I used it to make mom a new cutting board. While she was all weepy, I let her know the Uni was now amortized... Now I'm working on some Green & Green style furniture.. which will amortize my hollow chisel mortiser. I'm still deciding what will amortize my future a3-41 16" Felder combo jointer-planer. Perhaps a solid wood entertainment center for the new house, made for her by my son and I????

If you have children (even if grown) get them involved making something nice for her and she'll forget all about the price!!

"Beautiful hand-made gifts for mom from her guys... Priceless!!" <g>

ed vitanovec
01-03-2013, 11:34 PM
I have a bunch of tools, large and small. I belive the right tool will make your job or hobby, easier, better and safer. I just moved most of my tools 750 miles into storage and round 2 will be in 2 weeks. I came across tools I forgot I had which is hard to believe, granted they were small hand tools. Over the past few months I held back from buying any tools because of the move. I will be without a workshop for at lease 1 year and that means it will be over a year without buying any tools,I think for me this will be a good thing to save some money. Can you imagine all the tools that have not been invented yet that we will own or want to own. I have to admit to you all, "I am a Tool-o-holic"!

Rich Riddle
01-03-2013, 11:38 PM
If you have children (even if grown) get them involved making something nice for her and she'll forget all about the price!!

"Beautiful hand-made gifts for mom from her guys... Priceless!!" <g>
Our "children" are in the icon next to my name. The boys are shop dogs and love being in it especially if there is something to chew. The girls just sniff and quickly leave the area. A chopping board wouldn't amortize a Unisaw in her book. I am building her a four-season room that is nearly complete. The entertainment wiring, alarm wiring, HVAC wiring, and all the 120 VAC wiring were quite a long process. I reclaimed cedar tongue-and-groove boards for the ceiling and used rift only clear long boards in red oak for the flooring. I will mill all the window trim out of similar oak. The "walls" of the room will be brick that matches the one exterior wall. That should amortize a few things.

john lawson
01-03-2013, 11:57 PM
When a friend of mine was asked if he was a woodworker, he replied " I read magazines and buy tools". Seems to me that qualifies him as a woodworker, at least a beginner.

The late Andy Rooney of 60 minutes fame said that owning tools was a virtue in and of itself, whether or not you used them.

I believe that if you have adequate income you should modestly reward yourself with newer and better tools as your skill and productivity grow

Guy Belleman
01-04-2013, 1:11 AM
Like most, I have had to purge my tools every so often to keep organized and space efficient. Always a difficult chore, but I then end up also repairing some tools, or realizing others are beyond repair. Buying good tools in the first place sure helps in the long run.

I would say my current list of priorities would be:
1-bandsaw
2-scroll saw
3-drill press
4-table saw
5-measuring tape
6-4" square
7-hand sander
8-router
9-shop vac
10-the necessities: sets of screwdrivers, pliers, crescent, box wrenches, sockets, etc.
11-power drill/driver
12-sleds, accessories for all those above.

Ryan Mooney
01-04-2013, 2:07 AM
One owns enough tools when one can accomplish all the jobs that need to be done with an acceptable level of effort.

I'm going to say that you nailed it right there. That is clearly why I need a full CNC system next ... ... ... (ok so that's not happening).

Jim Matthews
01-04-2013, 6:30 AM
When your two car garage no longer has room for cars, and SWMBO is forced to exit her vehicle in the rain/snow/dead of night - you're there.

If you unplug your shop, there's LOTS more room to hide things - most of my tools fit neatly in drawers.
While at first I was keen on things with micro-adjustments, my most frequently used tools have no fence, guides or gauges.

If you emulate machining in your woodworking, space will always be at a premium.
If you revert to the 18th century methods currently in vogue, you can work in the house, by night.

Pinwu Xu
01-04-2013, 7:35 AM

Hi Bruce,

In one of the magazine that published your BS dust tube tip, they mentioned that you were "collecting" BSes, now we know you actually collect TS.

Rich Riddle
01-04-2013, 4:33 PM
Rich, You need to tell your wife about Bruce!After reading about Bruce's tools, it makes one ponder if he needs more tools and more powerful tools.

Bruce Wrenn
01-04-2013, 7:42 PM
Hi Bruce,

In one of the magazine that published your BS dust tube tip, they mentioned that you were "collecting" BSes, now we know you actually collect TS.Not to worry. A couple years ago, I sold one TS and gave away another. The Uni is actually a stand upon which rests a Craftsman RAS.

ray hampton
01-04-2013, 7:56 PM
Not to worry. A couple years ago, I sold one TS and gave away another. The Uni is actually a stand upon which rests a Craftsman RAS.

nobody mention a saw mill or chain saws