PDA

View Full Version : Veritas grinding jig

Eugenio Musto
01-03-2013, 7:54 AM
I bought for Christmas the Veritas grinder tool rest + grinding jig.I noticed that the tongue in the grinding jig is smaller than the groove in the tool rest so the jig skips up and down but in the figure of the instruction booklet the jig fits perfectly.
Is this normal or is a manifacturing problem of my new tools?

Chris Vandiver
01-03-2013, 7:57 AM
Why don't you ask Lee Valley customer service? I am quite sure they will know.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
01-03-2013, 9:06 AM
I would imagine that's so you could pull the tool back just enough to clear the wheel - wouldn't want to start the wheel with the tool engaged, at least, every grinder manual I've had says not to do that. I second Chris though, Lee Valley would straighten you out.

Tim Put
01-03-2013, 9:15 AM
The illustration is mistaken. The jig is supposed to be quite loose in the slot.

You place your blade in the jig. Loosely tighten. Place the jig in the slot (allowing it to rest on the bottom side of the slot). Slide the blade up to the (stopped) grinding wheel then withdraw it just a bit so that it doesn't touch. Now tighten the jig and start the grinder up.
Alternatively, you can push the jig up against the top of the slot, and then firmly press the blade into the (stopped) wheel without withdrawing for a smaller grind setting.

If the slot was snug it either wouldn't be possible to feed the blade into the wheel (in which case what's the point), or it wouldn't be possible to pull the blade away from the wheel (in which case every blade would get burned to uselessness).

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
01-03-2013, 9:17 AM
I did pick one of these up from a fellow Creeker just recently - I have no idea when he got his, but it's certainly not brand new. I just checked, it's got the same play - I didn't measure to see if it's the same amount, but it's there, which leads me to continue my assumption from the last post, that it's intentional.

I'm really liking the grinder rest, (the ones on my grinder weren't that bad, but the attachment was to the flimsy wheel guards, and adjusting them was difficult.) It makes the whole process much easier. I haven't actually tried the jig - I might try it after rough grinding the bevel in just to see if I can get the edge off the grinder more perfect, but for me, using my finger around the end of the blade like a fence against the back of the grinder jig does perfectly well enough.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
01-03-2013, 9:18 AM
Ooops, guess I was cross-posting while Tim was posting. He explained it better than I.

Don Jarvie
01-03-2013, 10:21 AM
I bought the jig and returned it. For minor touch ups it would work good but if you need to grind away more than a little material it's a pain to keep setting up the tool.

Dave Cav
01-03-2013, 1:46 PM
Tim's post is spot on. Also, if the fixture fit snugly in the slot in the rest, it would get filled up with swarf and start binding right away.

Eugenio Musto
01-04-2013, 12:15 PM
Thanks to all for the explanation!!

Gabe Shackle
01-04-2013, 1:31 PM
Anybody know of a video explanation of this?