PDA

View Full Version : Still trying to lose a finger!

Kirk (KC) Constable
04-28-2005, 1:04 AM
This afternoon I was 'forcing' a cut with a dull blade on the bandsaw, and my left middle finger followed the workpiece into the blade as I 'broke out' of the cut. Wasn't the first time this has happened...and I was lucky...again. Had I not reacted as quickly as I did, it would've 'only' taken off a corner of the fingertip...so as far as amputations go, the 'potential for worseness' was certainly there. :o Ended up just a very painful, clean slice, pretty well deep. My hands and fingertips are 'tough', and I suppose the blade does some cauterizing, so very little bleeding...but it hurts pretty good several hours later. :(

Quite embarassing to explain to LOML...especially the second time.

Not sure whether the dull blade 'saved' me or not...a good blade might've finished the cut. But had the blade been sharp, I wouldn't have been forcing the cut to begin with. In case you're wondering, I was cutting a great many templates out of 3/4 MDF, using a Timberwolf blade that was pretty well worn out to begin with. Trying to save $13 or so. :rolleyes:

Be careful out there!

KC

Mark Singer
04-28-2005, 1:15 AM
Kirk,

The basic rule is to never push in the line of the blade any closer than 6"....you should use a push stick or a piece of wood flat on the table. When yo do it twice you have to question your technique.... I am not perfect by any means...when I have a close call I always ask why and change something so it doesn't happen. Repetitive work as your descrbing is all a common problem and require concentration.... I am glad your ok!;)

Keith Christopher
04-28-2005, 1:24 AM
Sawstop ! :D sorry I just couldn't resist. Seriously though, glad you're not hurt. I must admit I'm at my worst safety wise on the bandsaw. Good reminder to us all. Clean sharp blades !!

Keith

Ian Barley
04-28-2005, 2:15 AM
Kirk
Glad that you got off lightly by comparison.

All the stuff Mark said is important. Whenever I use the bandsaw I try and remember that it is the same basic tool that butchers used to cut a carcass in half! The image helps me to be respectful of the blade for some reason.

Kirk (KC) Constable
04-28-2005, 2:26 AM
Kirk,

The basic rule is to never push in the line of the blade any closer than 6"....you should use a push stick or a piece of wood flat on the table. When yo do it twice you have to question your technique.... I am not perfect by any means...when I have a close call I always ask why and change something so it doesn't happen. Repetitive work as your descrbing is all a common problem and require concentration.... I am glad your ok!;)

Yeah...a good example of how we can get complacent. I've cut scads of chair parts in the past several years...literally hundreds of hours at the bandsaw. It's embarassing. :o

Bill Arnold
04-28-2005, 3:08 AM
As Mark said, repetitive work requires greater concentration. It's easy to get distracted when doing the same process over and over. One thing I learned a long time ago, whether working at the computer or a power tool, is to know when to walk away from it. I try to stay focussed, but when I feel I'm 'drifting' :eek: I turn off the machine and walk to the end of the driveway, take a deep breath and take a moment to re-focus. Fortunately, we get to walk outside year-round down here! :D

Jeff Sudmeier
04-28-2005, 8:49 AM
Glad to hear that you are okay and you only got a war wound. Not an amputation. Stay safe!

Ken Fitzgerald
04-28-2005, 9:22 AM
Kirk glad it wasn't worse! Take care of that cut to prevent infection!

Scott Loven
04-28-2005, 9:36 AM
A few weeks ago a guy at work lost 4 fingers in a dust collector air lock. He says that he didn't know it was there.
Had another guy from work cut off parts of three fingers at home. He put a circular saw blade on a grinder motor with no guard. Was holding it in his hand trying to trim the siding on the corner of his house. He hit something and the motor jumped out of his hand and cut the fingers on the other. He is lucky it wasn't worse.

Maurice Ungaro
04-28-2005, 10:08 AM
...........Had another guy from work cut off parts of three fingers at home. He put a circular saw blade on a grinder motor with no guard. Was holding it in his hand trying to trim the siding on the corner of his house. He hit something and the motor jumped out of his hand and cut the fingers on the other. He is lucky it wasn't worse.
Wow....potential Darwin award nominee there. As for the Bandsaw, when I was introduced to the tool, my instructor soberly reminded us that this type of tool is often used to cut meat in butcher shops.........think about it.

Curt Harms
04-28-2005, 11:07 AM
Wow....potential Darwin award nominee there.... I was thinking the same thing :rolleyes:

Curt