PDA

View Full Version : New Zealand interesting Kauri wood museum

Bob Rufener
01-03-2013, 12:03 AM
My wife and I are spending a 40th wedding trip celebration in New Zealand. Spectacular scenery and the people here are extremely friendly and helpful. We stopped at The Kauri m]Museum and also saw some of the Kauri trees in a protected forest. They are the second largest trees on earth and almost compare with the Redwoods and Sequoias. The wood from these trees is beautiful with straight grains but also other beautiful grain patterns The museum had exceptional displays that showed period life and also had a lot of sawing machines that were built like nothing else. Many of them were used well into the mid 1900's and are in imaculate condition. They also have a number of pieces of furniture made from Kauri wood that are gorgeous and extremely well made. The craftsmanship is exceptional. I am so glad we took the time to view these things. I am posting a URL for the museum and you can google Kauri Trees if interested. they have about a 7 minute video that is very well done.

I thought members might enjoy this. http://www.kauri-museum.com/

Ken Fitzgerald
01-03-2013, 12:18 AM
Bob,

Congratulations on the anniversary and trip to NZ!

My wife and I spent our 40th anniversary there and will return!

Have you toured any rain forests yet....or the black sand beaches on the North Island?

Bob Rufener
01-04-2013, 3:01 AM
Ken,

Thanks for the Congrats and I pass the same on to you and your wife of 40 years. The time has gone quickly. We have been in NZ for only 4 nights so far but are thoroughly enjoying the scenery and the very friendly people. Still getting used to driving on the "correct" side of the road and I have opened the door for my wife more times in the last four days than I have in the last forty. The windshield gets cleaned often as the turn signal is on the "wrong" side of the steering column. Went to Cape Rienga yesterday. Weather was awful but cleared enough for a few pics of the Tasman/Pacific conflict and the lighthouse. We both got soaked with rain but it was enjoyable. We are spending the next 8 days on the north island and then we fly to Christchurch for another 13 days. Mostly white sand beaches so far-going to the hole in the rock via boat tomorrow and then heading to the Coromandel peninsula and south. Hope to see Hobbiton as I saw the movie at Christmas time.

As you know, it is a fantastic place and I am so pleased we chose NZ for our celebration.

Bob,

Congratulations on the anniversary and trip to NZ!

My wife and I spent our 40th anniversary there and will return!

Have you toured any rain forests yet....or the black sand beaches on the North Island?

Bruce Page
01-04-2013, 8:59 AM
Bob, congrats on your anniversary! A New Zealand vacation is on my bucket list of things I want to do. I really enjoyed the Kauri Museum video in your link. I think I could spend a week there just taking it all in!

Ken Fitzgerald
01-04-2013, 12:03 PM
Bob.....I retired from a large corporation and have a friend and coworker in Christchurch. The earthquakes have destroyed a lot of the old buildings there. While in Christchurch, my friend gave us a personal tour and history lesson. We had dinner with he and his wife several nights there.

Are you going to Queenstown? If so, are you taking the Milford Sound tour?
After one day in Queenstown, my wife and I decided if we could go to only one place in NZ..that would be it! If you go there take in the jet boat rides and the helicopter rides. The helicopter rides were unbelieveably cheap compared to what you see here in the US....of course that depends on the current currency exchange rate.

Bob Rufener
01-05-2013, 11:20 PM
We fly to Christchurch on the 13th of January. I'd like to see the city as I understand the architecture was/is great. I hope they have been able to rebuild after the devastation. We plan on taking the train from Christchurch to Greymouth and back and probably to Dunedin and then to the west coast to see Milford and possibly Doubtful Sound. Queenstown is also on the list. We will probably head up the west coast and back to Queenstown to fly out on the 26th of January.

We are presently at the Coromandel Peninsula. It is about 85 and sunny-almost hot. Traveling on the peninsula tomorrow and then to wherever. People here are so friendly and helpful.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-05-2013, 11:27 PM
Bob,

The friendliness and honesty of the people was just amazing!

For an anniversary gift my wife hired a fly fishing guide in Christchurch. He came in off "holiday" with his family on Christmas Eve to take my fly fishing. The wind averaged 13 mph with gusts into the 20's. There was chop on the lakes we were fishing. He hung 2 and couldn't land them...I hung 2 and couldn't land them. He refused to charge me for his time or a license as we hadn't caught any fish. I told him that's why they call it fishing and not "Fish Harvest". Though tipping is usually refused in NZ, I told the guy I'd be insulted if he didn't take my tip. I tipped him generously as he could have charged me $80/ hour and I didn't ask how much the license would have been.

On your Milford Sound tour....pray for rain.....fervently! The ground soil is just a few inches thick in those fjords and if it rains you will see literally hundreds of waterfalls!

When we took the Milford Sound tour, a professional photographer was taking group photos as you boarded the ship. He took photos of my wife and I. As we exited the ship and headed for the bus, he wanted $18 for our photos and a CD of photos of Milford sound, the ship etc. I handed him $20, he gave me 2$ change and we scurried up the pier. As we were about to enter the bus terminal building, he caught up to me and gave me another $20.....apparently 2 bills had stuck together and I had accidentally given him 2 $20 bills......he chased us 40 yards to give that to me.....refreshing attitude!

Enjoy the trip!