PDA

View Full Version : Wall oven inquiry

Shawn Pixley
01-02-2013, 11:41 PM
On new years eve, the microwave portion of my Thermador double wall oven died. I am trying to find someone to repair it. In the event that I can't, I'd like any feedback from others around replacement options. My existing unit is a 24" wide with extremely limited expansion options due to cabinetry and the refrigerator/freezer. One unit that is appealing it a Miele unit. Does anyone have any feedback on the Miele wall ovens?

Rich Riddle
01-03-2013, 5:33 AM
Is your setup a true double oven or two single ovens stacked? I had a Miele unit and found it to be spot-on for cooking. It came with the house and might be on the expensive side. They're sizes might be metric. When having to purchase a 24" double wall oven for the condo a few years ago, we bought a GE because of lack of models in that size. They aren't fancy though.

Shawn Pixley
01-03-2013, 12:05 PM
Is your setup a true double oven or two single ovens stacked? I had a Miele unit and found it to be spot-on for cooking. It came with the house and might be on the expensive side. They're sizes might be metric. When having to purchase a 24" double wall oven for the condo a few years ago, we bought a GE because of lack of models in that size. They aren't fancy though.

My existing unit is a true double oven. Top unit is conventional oven plus convection plus microwave. Lower unit is conventional oven plus convection. It is particularly useful for thanksgiving. Turkey in lower unit, other things up above. Unfortunately, Thermador doesn't make that version any more. I can get a true double oven to replace it (Kitchenaide) but I would lose the microwave.

My thinking is to replace it with Miele, I would put a 60cm wall oven below a shelf/support. Above I would put their "Speed Oven." Given this, I really hope I can find a technician to repair the microwave.

Rick Potter
01-03-2013, 1:19 PM
When I rented the house I now live in, the oven/micro combo didn't work right, so I took the easy way out.

I removed the unit, put a new oven in the bottom part of the hole, then built a rail with shelf to make a place for a standard microwave. I managed to match the stain the new rail to match, and refinished the face frame of the cabinet.

Worked great. As I remember, there might have been a bit of trim work around the oven area.

Rick Potter