PDA

View Full Version : Thin friction/grip tape?

Phil Thien
01-02-2013, 9:53 PM
I purchased a JessEm dowelling jig from Bill Huber. He gave me a great deal and sure got it here super-fast. Thanks Bill!

It is this jig:
http://www.jessemdirect.com/JessEm_Dowelling_Jig_Master_Kit_p/08350-master-kit.htm

I absolutely love this jig. They (JessEm) demo it referencing off a line scribed on the jig. I had started a thread wondering whether the machining was precise enough to allow referencing off the edges as well. The answer to that is a giant YES. The machining on this unit is nothing short of amazing. When you bring the two pieces being joined together there is no misalignment at the edges, not even a bit!

The only problem (and I'm picking nits) is the clamping surface is very slick. I'd like to add a thin piece of something to improve the grip between the jig and my workpiece, and reduce the pressure I need to achieve with my f-clamp.

Now, thickness isn't really THAT important because I'd be shifting the holes in the same direction on both pieces I'm joining. But being the perfectionist I am, I figured I'd keep the offset I'm adding as minimal as possible.

So I'm looking for the THINNEST material that will stick to the jig and provide an anti-slip surface to grip the wood I'm drilling.

I've used the stair grip tape on these kinds of projects before. But it is actually quite thick.

I was thinking maybe some self-adhesive sandpaper of a finer grit.

Lee Valley sells this stuff:
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=32184&cat=1,110,43466,32184

But they don't specify thickness. And I don't need anything else from LV to qualify for free shipping so having to pay for shipping might make the tape kind of expensive.

I thought of just electrical friction tape, which is pretty thin and I'd think the cotton would be better than the smooth aluminum.

I don't need it to be super-grippy. Just not as slick as the very smooth aluminum surface.

Sam Murdoch
01-02-2013, 10:42 PM
I like the S/A sandpaper in the fine grits (320) idea, but have settled for a strip of duct tape in not exactly but similar situations.

Bill Huber
01-02-2013, 11:18 PM
On the big Jessem jig I have had a time or two when I was doweling something really funny and not the norm I would just put some sandpaper on it.
I used some 220 that I have in a roll I got from a body shop.

On the DowelMax I had the same problem, what I did with it was to lay out a grid of lines and use a center punch and just put a little punch at each cross of the grid and that helped a lot.

Phil Thien
01-02-2013, 11:29 PM
On the big Jessem jig I have had a time or two when I was doweling something really funny and not the norm I would just put some sandpaper on it.
I used some 220 that I have in a roll I got from a body shop.

On the DowelMax I had the same problem, what I did with it was to lay out a grid of lines and use a center punch and just put a little punch at each cross of the grid and that helped a lot.

Interesting thought (the center punch). That would seem to be a great way to "get a grip" without adding much (if any) offset.

I just don't know if I have it in me to start striking a brand-new tool, though. Hmmm...

I'm thinking I should try the sandpaper first.

Phil Thien
01-02-2013, 11:31 PM
I need to pickup some S/A sandpaper and try it.

Murray Roblin
01-02-2013, 11:41 PM
Lee Valley sells this stuff:
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=32184&cat=1,110,43466,32184

But they don't specify thickness. And I don't need anything else from LV to qualify for free shipping so having to pay for shipping might make the tape kind of expensive.

LV has free shipping through 7 Jan!

Phil Thien
01-02-2013, 11:51 PM
LV has free shipping through 7 Jan!

Yeah, but you have to order $40 worth of stuff.

Andrew Joiner
01-03-2013, 1:18 AM
I usually use contact cement and plain sandpaper for something like this.

Murray Roblin
01-03-2013, 12:27 PM
Yeah, but you have to order $40 worth of stuff.
Fine print always gets you. :)

Phil Thien
01-03-2013, 9:45 PM
Thanks for all the help guys. I had some Elmer's spray adhesive left over from Christmas projects and use some of that on 220-grit sandpaper. Seems to have done the trick, and is only about .006" thick.

Now I'd like to find some f-clamps with larger handles (diameter and length). I have Jorgensen units now and the handles are really dinky.