PDA

View Full Version : Question about pyrographic pens

Roger Chandler
01-02-2013, 8:55 PM
Do any of you who use pyro pens know if most pens can be used with any brand of burner unit? I have the Colwood Cub wood writer and want to get a very small writing tip........the Optima brand has one I like, but I do not know if the two are compatible.

Here is the pen I want.......
Optima Heavy Duty Pyrographic Pen - Pin Point Tip

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/images/prod/275/opt_hea_dut_pyr_pen_pin_poi_tip.jpg

Thom Sturgill
01-02-2013, 8:59 PM
Roger, I have the Optima and have used pens from three different manufacturers. AFAIK, if they connect with the RCA type plug, they all interchange, and even then their are adapters available.

Roger Chandler
01-02-2013, 9:02 PM
Roger, I have the Optima and have used pens from three different manufacturers. AFAIK, if they connect with the RCA type plug, they all interchange, and even then their are adapters available.

That is what I thought, but was not sure.......thanks Thom!

Bernie Weishapl
01-02-2013, 9:09 PM
Roger like Thom I have the Optima and use pens from 2 different companies. If they use RCA jack it will fit mine.

Greg Just
01-02-2013, 9:54 PM
I have the Burnmaster and like the other brands mentioned here, it also uses an RCA jack.

John Keeton
01-03-2013, 5:54 AM
Just because they interchange with RCA plugs doesn't necessarily mean they are compatible wattage. Some pens may not withstand the wattage of your unit, though I suspect the one you are looking at is fine given you have the Cub unit - 35 watts, I believe.

I have been looking at writing pens, too, but wonder if the one you are looking at is too sharp for actual writing and would tend to burn into the wood rather than glide across. Seems a lot of the "writing tips" have a rounded tip. Let us know how this one works. If it does OK, I may be in the market!

Roger Chandler
01-03-2013, 6:52 AM
Thanks for the responses....I looked at a couple of vendor last evening and found that Packard had a colwood fine tip writer in stock, and they had Mahoney's walnut oil finish for a bit less also,so I placed the order.

I have gotten good service from Packard each time in the past. The cub writer I have is made by Colwood, so compatability should be assured.