PDA

View Full Version : What do you use for a floor?

Wade Lippman
01-02-2013, 6:25 PM
I have indoor/outdoor carpeting over concrete. It is a mistake; difficult to clean and unstable for tools.
So what is good? Just leave it as concrete? Put down vinyl?
I hope not to move my tools much, but they are all on mobile bases and will be moved occassionally.
Thanks.

Ole Anderson
01-02-2013, 7:02 PM
I am installing laminate over roll-out foam underlayment over bare concrete in my basement at the moment at about $2.00/sf. I went with the Pergo Presto Belmont Oak from HD. It is the best looking lightly stained Oak I could find at a reasonable price. If all goes well and a sawdust test passes (meaning it is not too slippery with a layer of sawdust), I may would like to extend the Pergo into my shop.

Carl Beckett
01-02-2013, 7:29 PM
I have a concrete floor. Was planning to put down old fashioned vinyl tile. $0.65/sq ft. Going to glue it down to the concrete.

Not super soft, but a little softer than concrete.

(also. Have some really heavy stuff on casters that might dent if too soft a flooring)

I did see some cork on clearance the other day. if I was doing laminate and had a bigger budget I would consider the cork.

Wade Lippman
01-02-2013, 7:36 PM
Why squares rather than sheets? Cheaper? Easier to install? Easier to repair?
Are you putting it under your tools, or leaving that concrete?

paul cottingham
01-02-2013, 7:55 PM
I plan to build a platform for in front of my bench. It will raise me up 2" or so for better planing. More importantly, it will be much easier on my knees and hips.

Jim Becker
01-02-2013, 8:36 PM
My shop (unfortunately) has a concrete floor...so I have a substantial amount of it covered with anti-fatigue mats...all the areas where I would normally stand while using my machines and workbench. I buy the mats from ULead.

Wade Lippman
01-02-2013, 8:46 PM
My shop (unfortunately) has a concrete floor...so I have a substantial amount of it covered with anti-fatigue mats...all the areas where I would normally stand while using my machines and workbench. I buy the mats from ULead.

The only tool I spend a whole lot of time standing in front of is the lathe, but they would probably be good for that. What thickness do you like?

Roy Fleming
01-02-2013, 8:59 PM
I covered my concrete floor with "Platon" then installed 3/4" T&G OSB over that. A whole lot better in winter than standing on bare concrete.

Jim Andrew
01-02-2013, 9:24 PM
I just searched "Platon", a Certainteed product 24 mil thickness used to waterproof basements and concrete floors. Roy, if you check back, describe how you keep the subfloor osb from lifting up in spots. Do you just lay it in the t&g with offset ends and it lays flat? Without fasteners? And does it provide "give" as you walk on it?

Carl Beckett
01-03-2013, 7:44 AM
Why squares rather than sheets?

Easily available, easier to install ( I can do in sections ). Can replace a single tile if damaged. And I will do a pattern with it (different colors). And I 'think' the industrial square tiles are thicker (and stiffer) than roll product.

Are you putting it under your tools, or leaving that concrete?

Yes, the entire floor. We will see how these industrial tiles hold up to point pressure where the machines are. If it works, I am going to do my wifes garage where she parks the car.

I havent seen anyone with tile in their workshop so cant say that this is the greatest. But - I have certainly been in many an institution (and shopping center, etc etc) where this is whats on the floor. Seems pretty indestructible. If I have to take it up - it might be tough to get up. Im also worried about any possibility of mold getting under it - but the concrete has plastic under it before pouring, so Im hoping there isnt any moisture coming up through (no signs after 4 years).

Its not that soft, so I will still use mats in front of all the machines where standing (this is what I do now, and doesnt bother me to have mats - in fact I like the ones with the holes in them for small chips to get through so Im not standing on chips all the time)

BTW - just painting that concrete with epoxy will make a huge difference in appearance and also clean ability. Smooths out the surface so things sweep up much easier.

Roy Fleming
01-03-2013, 8:17 AM
You are correct, Platon is a watereproofing matereial but is also used for underlayment for flooring as it provides an air gap between the flooring and concrete. I installed the T&G OSB on top of the Platon and screwed it into the concrete with concrete screws(about 450 of them). The Platon does not give under load. I contacted the manufacture to see what the loading specs were and it can withstain something lite 7000#/sf with minimal deflection.
I can tell you, it had made a world of difference as to comfort in my shop especially in the winter time. The floor is easier on my feet and back and also tools do not get damaged when dropped. The only drawback is that the OSB has a tendency to flake a small amount. I should have use a better grade of OSB.

Shawn Russell
01-03-2013, 9:34 AM
Jim Falsetti pointed me to Delta-FL and I will be using that above concrete with 1/2 plywood above that and then cork flooring on top.

I am really looking forward to putting all of this down and will take pictures along the way.

Charlie Barnes
01-03-2013, 12:44 PM
I am installing laminate over roll-out foam underlayment over bare concrete in my basement at the moment at about $2.00/sf. I went with the Pergo Presto Belmont Oak from HD. It is the best looking lightly stained Oak I could find at a reasonable price. If all goes well and a sawdust test passes (meaning it is not too slippery with a layer of sawdust), I may would like to extend the Pergo into my shop.

Ole,

I was thinking of something similar - Pergo or similar over concrete in main shop area. Post an update on your sawdust "test" as I have the same concern. Thanks.

Charlie

Don Jarvie
01-03-2013, 12:49 PM
I would suggest something that is not slippery like OSB or plywood. When you need some leverage when hand planing having a non slippery floor helps. Hit it with a few coats of floor paint to seal it.

Larry Whitlow
01-03-2013, 1:31 PM
I wan't following why you would want to cover a concrete shop floor with vinyl, OSB, or etc. Then I realized I live in a very mild climate so can't really appreciate working on a concrete floor during freezing weather. For what it is worth, my BIL installed vinyl tiles in his 3 car garage several years ago just for looks. It is a multi-use space (tools, work-out stuff, cars in and out, parties, etc). It has held up very well over the years.

Jim Becker
01-03-2013, 5:11 PM
The only tool I spend a whole lot of time standing in front of is the lathe, but they would probably be good for that. What thickness do you like?

Wade, I have the 3/8" thick versions, but they also have 5/8" thick available. The material is easy to cut and at my lathe, I bought a larger mat and customized it to fit around the machine. That provide a soft surface to stand, no matter whether I'm working in front or hollowing from the end. For my Stubby, that only meant cutting out for the legs.

http://www.uline.com/BL_1751/Anti-Fatigue-Mats?pricode=WF377&gclid=CMDGt_2ZzbQCFQVnOgodszcAhQ

Ryan Baker
01-03-2013, 8:19 PM
I have the thick, commercial vinyl tiles in my shop (over concrete) -- been there for 15 years. They are pretty much indestructible. When they were new, they would get a bit slippery with a fine layer of dust, but they seem to have improved in that respect (probably scuffed the surface slightly). I have an anti-fatigue mat in front of my lathe, which is also a really good way to handle any issues of being slippery. I think it works very well in the shop. It's easy to clean up too.

Pergo on a shop floor sounds like a terrible idea. First, it will be slippery with dust on it. Secondly, it is going to get torn up very quickly by machines and other stuff. That stuff a a micro-thin decorative layer over glorified cardboard. If you want to do wood strip flooring, good hard, full-thickness T&G would be best (not much more expensive), but at least get one of the engineered laminates that has the 1/16-1/8" hardwood top layer. A real wood floor would be nice, but it needs to be able to take a lot of abuse.

Ole Anderson
01-04-2013, 12:00 AM
I wan't following why you would want to cover a concrete shop floor with vinyl, OSB, or etc.

I have been in my house for 37 years and have had some type of a shop in the basement the entire time. Now that i am retired, I spend more time there and my shop is a source of pride, not just a means to an end. Plus my floor has taken a beating over the years, especially when I was doing production work with heavy aluminum tubing for 15 years, and is getting pretty rough and ugly. So now I am thinking I would like to spruce it up a bit and I love the look of the Oak Pergo I just now completing in the finished portion of my basement.

Jim Andrew
01-04-2013, 7:13 AM
Wade, wonder if it would work to just put some laminate flooring over the indoor outdoor carpet in your shop? Of course it would still have a little "cushion", which wouldn't be good under machines, but would give a little cushion when you are standing or walking.

Tom Rossman
01-04-2013, 10:31 AM
Has anyone used Racedeck flooring, which is typically used in garages?