PDA

View Full Version : Corel question

Bruce Dorworth
01-02-2013, 3:44 PM
In Corel how do you draw a contour line around the shape of you image. What I am talking about is a line around 1/8" away all the way around your image. You could use this line to cut out your objects.
OKOk, did I succeed in confusing everyone??

Bruce

Michael Hunter
01-02-2013, 3:56 PM
Group all the objects in your image.
Then use the contour tool on the group.

Not always 100% perfect, but it usually does the job.

If the contour isn't perfect, then "break apart" and tweak it by hand.

Steven Cox
01-02-2013, 3:59 PM
For objects use the Contour Tool. Set the steps to 1 and then adjust the Contour Offset to the distance you want. Not sure if there's an easy way to put path around an object in an image without drawing/hand tracing it. Some print and cut machines like GerberEdge I believe have the capability.

Lee DeRaud
01-02-2013, 4:14 PM
Group all the objects in your image.
Then use the contour tool on the group.

Not always 100% perfect, but it usually does the job.I've found that using the "outline around objects" tool (dunno the official name) after grouping and then running the contour tool on the outline helps. I think the sami-random order of nodes in the group confuses the contour tool sometimes.

Martin Boekers
01-02-2013, 4:21 PM
Are you trying to do this on a bitmap or a vector?

For Bitmaps this may help...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=aabyoEe1grg (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aabyoEe1grg)

hugh bunker
01-02-2013, 9:52 PM
Can't you just select the object and under effects create a boundary and then enlarge the boundary?

Steven Cox
01-03-2013, 8:26 AM
Can't you just select the object and under effects create a boundary and then enlarge the boundary?

Yeh that works with a Vector image (or object) but not with an object bitmap. The Utube video that Martin posted is worth watching but bear in mind there was no background in the image so that made it very easy for that process. Whereas, if you had a horse in field that would be a bit more difficult. I think Bruce is trying to do it with a bitmap so everything would depend on the image and how involved it would be to clip the object needed from it.

Regards Steve.

Shannon Bruce
01-03-2013, 8:46 AM
In the past, I have imported the image to Corel Paint and then used the cutout lab....you still have to hand draw the boundary however. I am still learning quite a bit, even though we have been using our Laser Engraver for wood and metal for almost 10 years. Just getting around to seeing it's full potential.

Martin Boekers
01-03-2013, 9:22 AM
After you use Cut Out Lab see the link I posted, I have used this for numerous things.

Lee DeRaud
01-03-2013, 10:40 AM
For doing this sort of thing on bitmaps, I've been using Topaz ReMask (http://www.topazlabs.com/remask/). Not free, but it works on stuff some of the other apps I've tried won't touch and it plays nice with PhotoPaint. (I'd recommend their plugin bundle package: some very nice stuff there IMHO, and quite a bit cheaper than buying them separately.)

But we still don't know whether the OP is dealing with vector or bitmap...