PDA

View Full Version : Box Elder Natural Edge

Toby Bouder
01-02-2013, 10:43 AM
I was happy that the bark stayed on this one and even happier that the moss stayed on the bark, but surprised that after three months drying the moss is still green! Not as much flame in this one though. 4"h x 6"w Formby's tung oil and buffed.

Bernie Weishapl
01-02-2013, 11:09 AM
Toby that is a nice looking NE. Reminds me of a birds nest style.

Kathy Marshall
01-02-2013, 8:45 PM
Nice job Toby! The moss on the bark is a nice little accent too.

Roger Chandler
01-02-2013, 9:01 PM
You can preserve the bark by putting a little thin CA glue on it.......I have a cherry NE that has kept the bark on good and tight for nearly 3 years. Just a tip, if you are interested.

Richard Coers
01-03-2013, 12:26 PM
You can preserve the bark by putting a little thin CA glue on it.......I have a cherry NE that has kept the bark on good and tight for nearly 3 years. Just a tip, if you are interested.

I have natural edge bowls with nothing holding it on, that are over 12 years old. Turning this time of year is the key. Spring and summer turning will nearly be impossible to save the bark since the cambium layer shrinks so much.

Toby Bouder
01-03-2013, 6:38 PM
I have natural edge bowls with nothing holding it on, that are over 12 years old. Turning this time of year is the key. Spring and summer turning will nearly be impossible to save the bark since the cambium layer shrinks so much.
That's what I thought, it's already dry and the bark is still attached. I figure it's probably gonna stay on now.