PDA

View Full Version : Head Cold Remedies

Peter Stahl
01-02-2013, 10:21 AM
I have a heck of a head cold. Taking DayQuil and it doesn't seem to help that much. Anyone find one that works well? Over the counter stuff.

David Weaver
01-02-2013, 10:59 AM
Mucinex has worked the best for me, but it's strong.

A few zinc lozenges and some time to let the cold run through whatever duration it chooses has been the best so far.

The last time I went to a dr. for a cold (which I had to do because I unknowingly had an ear infection, too) he told me the nyquil kinds of medicines were no good and that I should take zinc lozenges for over the counter for something proven to have some effect. He also prescribed steroid nasal spray, so I don't know what he'd suggest over the counter for nasal congestion. My mother burned out her entire sense of smell with afrin or whatever those OTC sprays are, though. Money no object, I think I'd rather have a steroid if I needed it.

I know there's a few physicians on here, maybe they can tell us the latest information they've seen on the topic.

Peter Stahl
01-02-2013, 11:10 AM
David,

What brand of zinc lozenges did you take? Maybe I'll get some Mucinex too. I think I went through a half a box of tissues already today.

thanks, Pete

David Weaver
01-02-2013, 11:30 AM
The dr. told me to get zicam tablets. I don't know if it makes any difference between them and something more inexpensive, like a zinc cough drop, because I don't know which ones are actually linked to data that shows a reduction in cold duration.

I can't remember exactly what the duration reduction was for zinc or vitamin C, but what I've read before didn't make me feel like that was as important as being able to sleep.

There is finally consensus that zinc does something positive, but I haven't seen anything that says "this type" or "this one" is the one to use, because they don't all deliver it the same way or in the same dosage.

So it might end up being a waste of time, anyway, but if the mucinex opens you up that's beneficial.

(it might seem odd that I'm not a dr. and have this much fascination with a cold, but what I am is an asthma sufferer who generally has a one or two week cold turn into a fight against bronchitis symptoms for much longer. If I can get out of the cold without coughing and sneezing constantly - the things that trigger a self-propagating asthmatic cough, I'm way into that. Beats steroid inhalers, albuterol and fighting for air).

Jason Roehl
01-02-2013, 11:33 AM
Raw garlic (natural anti-microbial).
Zinc lozenges or tablets.
Neti pot (rinses the junk out).
Ibuprofen (reduces inflammation, allowing better drainage).
Extra Vitamin C (1000mg twice a day).
Lots of fluids--water with lemon (I use concentrated lemon juice) and hot tea with honey and lemon.
Avoid processed foods, sweets and dairy.

I only use the Afrin type sprays at night so that I can breathe through my nose and get a good night's sleep. That makes it much easier to wean my body off the spray. Physical activity helps get the blood going (more circulation means it gets "filtered" by the body more frequently, helping to fight the cold/infection) and loosen up the nasal congestion.

Eric DeSilva
01-02-2013, 11:53 AM
Neti Pot. Gross, but its always helped me.

Brad Sperr
01-02-2013, 11:58 AM
+2 for the Neti Pot. Once you get over the sensation of water going through your nose, it provides a lot of relief from head congestion.

Erik Loza
01-02-2013, 12:03 PM
+3 on the Neti Pot. I suffer from "non-allergic rhinitis" and do it 1-2 times a day. Makes a huge difference. People freak out about it but once they do it, they are hooked.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Peter Stahl
01-02-2013, 12:32 PM
Lots of great suggestions. Didn't know what a Neti Pot was, looks gross but I'll give anything a try just hope I don't drown myself. Looks like a stop at the drug store will be on my list of to do's after work.

Brian Brightwell
01-02-2013, 12:44 PM
Jason has good suggestions. I caught my first cold , in 4 years, last Friday. I have been munching on raw onions a lot. When I get to coughing I eat a sliver and stop. I don't take over the counter. I believe these things have to run there course. And don't eat too much.
PS I don't give a sheet about my breath.

Dennis Peacock
01-02-2013, 12:55 PM
Raw Onion does help as well as the Zinc tablets.
When I feel one coming on, I start taking 16,000 units of vitamin C per day and 3 days later, I'm over it and healthy again. These are what has kept me from getting this type of sick over the last 6 years.

Brian Deakin
01-02-2013, 3:22 PM
I would suggest looking at the following site

http://www.evidence.nhs.uk/ and enter the word "cold " in the search box The information on this site is probably as good as it gets

regards Brian

Brian Brightwell
01-02-2013, 4:05 PM
I took a zinc capsule on an almost empty stomach. I won't do that again. I thought I had the flu for a while.

Jason Roehl
01-02-2013, 4:48 PM
Raw Onion does help as well as the Zinc tablets.
When I feel one coming on, I start taking 16,000 units of vitamin C per day and 3 days later, I'm over it and healthy again. These are what has kept me from getting this type of sick over the last 6 years.

Geez, Dennis. I thought I was pushing it at up to about 4000mg per day. Normally, I take 1000mg daily plus whatever amount is in my multivitamin. I may have to rethink my strategy.

As for the neti pot, I used to get basically 2 good sinus infections per year. Being a contractor, I'm around dust and dirt plenty, but now I use the neti pot when I get home after a dusty day, and I'm in the middle of my first sinus infection in several years--this one I think came about because everybody I know has been sick at some point over the last two months.

Rich Riddle
01-02-2013, 4:49 PM
My grandmother used to make us a hot toddy when we had a cold. I really enjoyed having a cold in those days.

ray hampton
01-02-2013, 6:08 PM
being high may not cure your cold but it will make you feel better until you wake up

Harold Burrell
01-02-2013, 8:43 PM
All of these remedies work well and should get you to feeling better in about 7 days.

On the other hand, if you don't anything...you should be over it in a week.

;)

Scott T Smith
01-03-2013, 10:03 AM
About three years ago my wife discovered Yin Chiao, and I subsequently went for three years w/o getting a cold (until last week...). We use both the liquid and capsule forms - both seem to work well.

To use it, mix up a batch of Emergen-C, and add a full eyedropper of Yin Chiao to it. Drink it down, and take some zinc supplements at the same time. Do this as soon as you feel the cold coming on, and twice more during the first day.

It's not as great once you get the cold, but for us it has prevented them from occuring.

Jim Tobias
01-03-2013, 11:35 AM
For everyone using a neti pot, take a look at this http://www.waterpik.com/sinus-health/products/water-pulsator
I have sinus issues, had sinus surgery, etc and after using the neti pot and squirt sinus bottle for a couple of years, I found the Sinus Rinse by Waterpik. You can purchase at Walmart or like store for around $20. It does a great job of "irrigating the sinuses"

Jim

Rich Riddle
01-03-2013, 12:06 PM
For everyone using a neti pot, take a look at this http://www.waterpik.com/sinus-health/products/water-pulsator
I have sinus issues, had sinus surgery, etc and after using the neti pot and squirt sinus bottle for a couple of years, I found the Sinus Rinse by Waterpik. You can purchase at Walmart or like store for around $20. It does a great job of "irrigating the sinuses"

Jim

Jim,

That neti pot scares me. It seems a lot like waterboarding. Not sure I could do that.

Jim Tobias
01-03-2013, 12:34 PM
It is a very gentle pulsating rinse that really loosens the mucus and helps wash it out. The description makes it sound like a pressure washer for your nose, but it is actually gentle and effective.

Jim

Erik Loza
01-03-2013, 1:26 PM
No opinion on the water pik device but one thing I saw in the video and wanted to comment: Two different physicians have told me emphatically NEVER to use tap water as the base for the solution. Apparently, there have been some documented cases of pathogen transmission that resulted in human fatalities. I just Googled it and found this...

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-57499285-10391704/tap-water-in-neti-pots-behind-two-brain-eating-amoeba-deaths-in-2011-investigation-finds/

My wife and I use distilled water from the jug for our netis. Just some some food for thought,

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

edit: I just watched the whole video and they show distilled water, so sorry for the alarm (was talking to a customer and just saw the sink in the scene and assumed...). Anyhow, I have heard that some folks use tap water, so just wanted to mention.

ray hampton
01-03-2013, 1:44 PM
I did use tap water but not any more, tap water will made you sick

Jamie Lynch
01-04-2013, 10:53 AM
+4 on Neti pot. I use one every day after the shop and any time I get a head cold.

Tom Fischer
01-06-2013, 8:59 AM
Been to the local ENT Physician twice in the past year for very bad head colds. He gives my Azithromycin-250mg. Pills are for 6 days, but the cold is pretty much gone the next day.
Seems reasonable that functioning adults should be able to buy this stuff without a Dr. appointment (can make all it pretty expensive)
We have Blue Cross + pharmacy coverage. Costs me $13 for everything.

Peter Stahl
01-06-2013, 9:35 AM
Thanks for all the info. I did use the Neti Pot but not until day 3 because I was so stuffed up I don't think I would have gotten any flow through my sinuses. The Neti Pot does open you up though.

Peter Stahl
01-06-2013, 9:36 AM
Been to the local ENT Physician twice in the past year for very bad head colds. He gives my Azithromycin-250mg. Pills are for 6 days, but the cold is pretty much gone the next day.
Seems reasonable that functioning adults should be able to buy this stuff without a Dr. appointment (can make all it pretty expensive)

I don't think my Doctor would give me Azithromycin unless I had a history of sinus infections. Would be nice if it was a know cure for the common cold though. How many pills do you take a day by the way?

Darius Ferlas
01-06-2013, 9:59 AM
A doctor gives you antibiotics for head cold? :eek:
Unless you actually had a secondary infection, azithromycin didn't do anything for you. Colds are caused by viruses. Antibiotics won't kill a virus. They kill bacteria.

Some antibiotics can cause various side effects, at times severe, so I think it is reasonable that they are not over the counter candies.

ray hampton
01-06-2013, 12:37 PM
A doctor gives you antibiotics for head cold? :eek:
Unless you actually had a secondary infection, azithromycin didn't do anything for you. Colds are caused by viruses. Antibiotics won't kill a virus. They kill bacteria.

Some antibiotics can cause various side effects, at times severe, so I think it is reasonable that they are not over the counter candies.

true and this one are capable of severe side effects, including death according to the web site