PDA

View Full Version : adhesive for bonding waterstones to a backer?

dan sherman
01-02-2013, 1:53 AM
I'm getting ready to purchase a new 1k grit super stone, as my current one is shot. I'm most likely going to get one of the 2cm thick ones that don't come on a plastic backer. In order to get the most life out of the stone, I want to adhere it to some aluminum plate I have laying around. Have any of attached your stones to a backer, if so what adhesive did you use?

David Wong
01-02-2013, 2:06 AM
I attached a natural waterstone to a wood base using hot glue.

You may consider waiting until your stone is worn thin before attaching it to a backing. That way you can use both surfaces of the stone, as well as the sides (for thin blades). I have worn a #200 and #500 stones without bases, down to under 1 cm.

Tony Shea
01-02-2013, 5:43 AM
Epoxy is what I use to adhere stones to a base.

David Weaver
01-02-2013, 7:58 AM
I also use epoxy. But never thought of hot glue, if I have to reglue a stone, I think I'll go that route.

george wilson
01-02-2013, 9:02 AM
I'd rather mortise the stone into a piece of wood than lose the ability to use the other side(for whatever reason). Long shot,maybe,but what if you uncovered an imperfection while flattening the stone over a period of time?

Mike Henderson
01-02-2013, 1:52 PM
I broke a Shapton stone and then glued it with epoxy to an old stone I had (just to support it). The epoxy worked fine. The epoxy in the break has not been a problem with using the stone.

Gluing a stone that's getting thin is a good way to get more life out of it. As they get really thin, they tend to break. Some people get a piece of thick glass and glue the stone to that.

Mike

Jack Curtis
01-02-2013, 5:55 PM
I'd rather mortise the stone into a piece of wood than lose the ability to use the other side(for whatever reason). Long shot,maybe,but what if you uncovered an imperfection while flattening the stone over a period of time?

But it's very difficult to mortise a very irregular stone like some of these naturals. Maybe plaster is better than epoxy? But something that hardens a bit and takes up irregular space is important.

dan sherman
01-04-2013, 1:31 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys, if i do end up getting a baseless stone, I'll give epoxy a try.