PDA

View Full Version : First SMC Bowl

John Hart
04-27-2005, 10:03 PM
Well...I gave up trying to make bowls a while back because I ruined every one that I tried. But after joining SMC and paying attention to all you gifted folk, I decided to give it another try. This is made from my Pear Tree...4" Diameter, 3" Height. I'm thinking about making the accompanying handle into a Pear handled Ebony Pestle....just for fun.

The bowl's kinda pitted...probably from my impatience more than anything else. I'll do better on the next one. Thanks for looking!

Tom Pritchard
04-27-2005, 10:29 PM
Beautiful job John! I really like the idea of the matching pestle. The color of the wood is really beautiful, as is the finish. Can't wait to see the next one!

Mark Singer
04-27-2005, 10:45 PM
John,

Beautiful work...I love the form and the wood is wonderful...Thats woodworking!

Ernie Nyvall
04-27-2005, 10:55 PM
I like it John and the lip you gave looks good. I too like the pestle idea. Thanks for posting. Makes me anxious for that pear. Keep it up.

Ernie

John Hart
04-27-2005, 11:08 PM
Thanks for your kind words guys...I'll keep at it...It sure felt goooood!:)

Ernie, I didn't get the wood sent out today...so I guess Friday is the day (I have a day off) You'll probably see it early next week.

Bruce Shiverdecker
04-27-2005, 11:31 PM
That's very nice. John. Well worth the effort you put into it.

Bruce

Ernie Nyvall
04-27-2005, 11:40 PM
Oh man, I certainly don't want you to spend part of your day off boxing up wood to send. I'll get it when I get it. It's just that your bowl makes the wood look nice. Like seeing Glenns mesquite vase kinda makes me anxious to get that mesquite, but I'm not going to push to get it.

Ernie

Michael Stafford
04-28-2005, 5:56 AM
A little bowl with a whole lot of character. Nicely done! You should be thoroughly hooked on the spinny thing now. :D

Alan Ryalls
04-28-2005, 6:05 AM
very nice john , well done!!!
keep up the good work.
regards alan............

Steve Inniss
04-28-2005, 8:17 AM
John,

Nice work, the bowl and pestle have a lot of character - look like they have been around for a hundred years or so. -Steve

Kurt Aebi
04-28-2005, 8:38 AM
Nice bowl, John.

The pitted or rough spots will come with time, patience & practice (I'm not there yet, myself!)

That handle sure looks like it is a good pestle fo rthat bowl. I made a nice small bowl from Box Elder that I was going to make a pestle for, but my wife took it to use as a sugar bowl, sweet-n-low or equal packets - not loose sugar.
What did you use for a finish?

Now you're hooked and we can't wait to see more!

Jeff Sudmeier
04-28-2005, 8:56 AM
John, great job on the bowl! It really looks good.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-28-2005, 9:40 AM
John...nice looking first bowl! You're hooked now!

Glenn Hodges
04-28-2005, 9:49 AM
John, the rim is a nice detail which I like. Sometimes small details like these really sets a persons work apart from others. You mentioned it was pitted, I don't know if it was old or if you were talking about tearout. I use Johnsons Wax on the tearout area when I sand. This helps, you might want to try it. Smear the wax on the tearout, let it dry a few minutes, then sand. This bowl will have special meaning to you because it came from your tree. This is one of the main reasons woodturning is so special to all of us. Keep up the turning. You are doing much better than I was at this stage.

John Hart
04-28-2005, 11:52 AM
Thanks again y'all...yes, I'm hooked...I have an addictive personality...this is one of the good addictions!!

Kurt, I didn't have alot to work with on finishes so I put down some BLO and the colors came out real nice and before it could get very dry I put some thinned out poly on there. It seems different than any finish I've done in the past...and get this....It smells like leather! My wife even said, "Where'd you get the leather smell?"... Go figure.

Glenn...yeah, I'm sorry, I was talking about tearout. I have some Johnson wax...I'll give that a try on the next bowl. Mama won't let me do anything else to this one. I guess she likes it.

Thanks all

Oh..Ernie, btw, Friday was the original schedule anyway...so there ya have it.:cool:

Jim Becker
04-28-2005, 1:58 PM
John, I really like what you did with this fine piece of wood. There is beauty in simple forms, especially when the wood itself is so interesting. The little rim detail is wonderful and the pestle just adds further to the total. Nice job!

Carole Valentine
04-28-2005, 4:26 PM
I can't believe you "ruined" every one you tried! You certainly didn't ruin this one.:)
PS: I love your sig line...been telling poeple that all my life!:D

Kurt Aebi
04-29-2005, 9:08 AM
Glenn,

Great tip, I'll have to print that one out and keep it in my littlle "How to Save Yer Butt" file box that I keep in the shop - can't tell ya how many times I've reached for that box! :eek: