PDA

View Full Version : The sharpening Desk?

steven c newman
01-01-2013, 7:22 PM
I had a couple block plane irons in need of some sharpening. Went down to the Dungeon Shop where I had a beltsander set up..249897and gave both irons a ride. I wanted to flatten the backs, and start a 25 degree bevel on the edge. One even needed the area behind the bevel flattened. Came back up to the Computer desk. I had three oil stones, of different grits, all oiled up and ready to go. First was a cheapy from Home Depot. I even took it down with the irons, and flattened it. Anyway, some oil on the coarse side, do both irons, front and back. 249898this is the Buck Brothers stone. Hey, it is a starter stone, for me. The next oil stone is a little better. I had it for a few... decades. It's coarse side is still finer grit the the BB's fine side. 249899Starting to look better. I use the stones freehand. I hold the iron at the angle it needs to be, and place a fingertip right on that edge, right in the oily mess. I am feeling to make sure no gap shows up, as I move around. Backs go side to side. Bevels, I use a circular pattern, up and down the stone. Last pass is on the back. Anyway, after these two stones ( and four grits), time for the "finish" stone. When it is covered in oil, it is a light purple colour. When the 3in1 oil hits it, it turns into Deep Purple Stone. ( A stone, named after a "rock" band? ) The grit and lineage of this skinny little stone are unknown. Just an out of work stone showing up one day. The grit is quite fine, at least an Arky-saw fine. 249900249901 I do one side of an iron, clean the iron, do another, until everything is done, and clean. Even that old, pitted Sargent iron looks a little better. How much better? Well, I set the iron back in it's home, and tried it out on some tough,old Oak..249902 piece was just a small 1x2, and I planed the edge grain. Hammer was used to set the depth of cut. I may try the other iron out, later. Right now, I need a shave....:eek:

steven c newman
01-01-2013, 10:16 PM
Stay tuned. I may try this out on a few of the bench plane irons. I have a couple #6s that could use a re-fresh of their irons...

The honing guide was used just for the belt sanding. Once I had the bevel established, I could free-hand and keep things on that bevel. I used the stones mainly because the finest sandpaper on hand was 220 grit. Almost like the Buck Brothers "Coarse" stone. Nothing fancy about the oil, just good old 3in1 oil. Just a way to pass a boring afternoon....

george wilson
01-02-2013, 9:08 AM
That is a cobbler's hammer,for what it's worth.

steven c newman
01-02-2013, 2:48 PM
Aye, that it be. I haven't found a better iron adjuster to rival it, either. Shop made handle, not sure what the original one was like, as I inherited just the head. Tried a small ball pean hammer handle, head wouldn't stay put.

Not sure about that skinny oil stone, either. Dry, it is a light, whitest purple in colour. Add some oil, and it goes almost black-purple. It also lets me know IF there is a burr, as a white streak will show up.

David Weaver
01-02-2013, 3:06 PM
It sounds like it is either a slate stone or a BBW belgian stone. Both vary in hardness and color, and both can be purplish.