PDA

View Full Version : New Years Bowl.......Serious Toolworks Gouge bowl ...finished!

Roger Chandler
01-01-2013, 3:47 PM
I finished off the bowl that was in the Serious Ultimate Gouge review I did...........as you can see the blank was suspect, but with careful attention and technique I managed to get a fairly nice bowl out of it. I did a first for me on a bowl........added some color and don't tell anybody........did not have any transtint or such, so I used an old magic marker for the blue band! :o

All in all, not bad. I will say, this still has to have some finish work on it...........gotta knock back the nibs a bit on the WOP.........and re-apply another finish coat, and buff.

Funny.........I started out coloring the band on the freshly sanded wood..........let that dry a couple of minutes.....then applied shellac sanding sealer...BIG MISTAKE! I forgot for a moment that they thin this stuff with denatured alcohol, so the thing bled into the surrounding grain....:eek:.........fixed it, the applied woodturners finish .........boy, was that a mistake! After a few coats it just looked terrible...........I think my can is way past useful.....down to the last 1/4 can......I have a new one, but decided to go with WOP after taking this back to the bare wood again.

This time I put the sanding sealer on first, let dry, then the marker..........much better.

Russell Eaton
01-01-2013, 3:53 PM
Nice save Roger. I even like the touch of color.

Brian Kent
01-01-2013, 4:09 PM
I like it. How did you do the thin black band?

Roger Chandler
01-01-2013, 4:13 PM
Guitar string between two handles......."G" string I believe. Turn the lathe up fairly high rpm........usually about 1800, but since I had the lathe on the low belt setting, I only had it to 1260 rpm, but with some pressure it burned the line in. I cut a groove in the wood first to prevent the string from walking on me.

Michelle Rich
01-01-2013, 5:08 PM
first time for everything..the wood is quite nice looking & the shape would delight the hands.

Roger Chandler
01-01-2013, 6:32 PM
first time for everything..the wood is quite nice looking & the shape would delight the hands.

Thanks Michelle!

Roger Chandler
01-03-2013, 7:30 AM
Interesting.....seems like the number one comment on this bowl both here and other forums is a question about the color band......I guess that keeping color contained between lines is a challenge with dyes......having the wicking of the dye into surrounding wood fibers could be a problem.

That is the reason I cut the two grooves, and then did the wire burn....the burn helps to seal off the fibers to help prevent wicking, and the grooves sever those fibers to separate the area being colored from the rest of the ones you don't want to color.......hope this helps anyone who wants to use some color in a small area of a turning.

Bernie Weishapl
01-03-2013, 1:13 PM
That is a good looking bowl Roger. I either burn a line with my Optima or wire burn a line to keep the dye from spreading.

Roger Chandler
01-03-2013, 2:30 PM
That is a good looking bowl Roger. I either burn a line with my Optima or wire burn a line to keep the dye from spreading.

Thanks Bernie........looks like the burning does sort of seal the grain so the wicking is minimized or eliminated.