PDA

View Full Version : Bowl storage question

Deane Allinson
01-01-2013, 12:45 PM
Christmas is over, gifts have been given (several turned ones) and I find that I have bowls and platters everywhere. Question...what is the best way to store finished bowls, etc. Cardboard boxes, Lidded plastic storage bins??? I can slide the plastic bins under the bed, but keep thinking that they might need ventilation, yes, no? I did cull out a lot of my "learning experiences".
Deane

Fred Belknap
01-01-2013, 3:55 PM
Deane I store my bowls in plastic containers with a bunch of bubble wrap. I never had a problem with ventilation. I hauls mine in the back of my truck and the plastic works great.

Bernie Weishapl
01-01-2013, 7:25 PM
I store mine in plastic containers with bubble wrap seperating them. I don't put the lids on them. Never have had a problem so far.

Thomas Canfield
01-01-2013, 7:57 PM
The bubble wrap will cushion, but I wonder about any reaction with different finishes and waxes. I usually use some Bounty paper towes to separate pieces or some fleece fiber scraps. I have seen old T-shirts (some picked up at garage sales to supplement own) used by others also.

Dennis Ford
01-01-2013, 8:58 PM
I have had trouble with bubble wrap sticking to lacquer finish in the summer time. I recommend a layer of paper between the bubble wrap and finished pieces.

Steve Schlumpf
01-01-2013, 9:11 PM
Deane - I have mine stacked on some cheap plastic/ABS garage shelves that are setup in the basement. Have plastic bags or paper between each bowl to prevent marring and so far it has worked well.

Baxter Smith
01-01-2013, 9:46 PM
Deane, I had one plate where the bubble wrap almost seemed to come off and stick to the oil finish(left marks). I lways use a layer of paper towel or cloth between the two now.

Tony De Masi
01-02-2013, 7:09 AM
I have mine stored in plastic tubs with each piece wrapped in it's own t-shirt. I picked up several sizes of the shirts at the local Goodwill store. I used to use the bubble wrap but also found that some finishes would duplicate the design of the bubble wrap on the piece.

Michael Gibson
01-02-2013, 9:28 AM
Bubble wrap will have a reaction to many finishes. Michael.