PDA

View Full Version : Material Rack 2013!

Scott Shepherd
01-01-2013, 9:31 AM
We did a massive (for us) remodel and doubled our office area (hope we don't need that warehouse area soon :) ), and in the process, I knew I had to do something else for material storage. I had a 7' tall rack, but it was just taking up so much room. So I took the task of making a new table/material cart. I say "cart" because it has wheels on the bottom. It's made from 3/4" prefinished birch and Corian for the top. It has enough room for about 100 different materials 12" x 24" and the end area is setup so I can lay larger sheets on their edge. Hopefully it'll get all the stuff away from leaning up against every wall in the office when it's too big for the rack.

I still have to make the shelves (looking for something economical to do that with). I used 3/8" MDF on the previous rack, but that's expensive when you can only get 4 or 5 shelves out of a 4' x 8' sheet.

I'm looking forward to using it in 2013!

Scott Challoner
01-01-2013, 11:23 AM
Very nice Steve. I'm always looking for storage ideas. Especially since space is limited in my basement.

Dee Gallo
01-01-2013, 2:14 PM
Looks great Steve! What a luxury to be able to design and make NICE storage units - it seems like we always have too much stuff and just stash it here and there. Just like in your house, you can never have too much storage space. I like the Corian tops, they should be very helpful work spaces too.

cheers, dee

Mark Maslonkowski
01-01-2013, 7:49 PM
249904I really like your rack Scott. This is what I put together for my small home shop this fall. Thank you for sharing.

Mark

Scott Shepherd
01-02-2013, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the comments :) Mark, that's exactly what I was going for on the far end, a place to vertically stack some larger pieces. We've got 1/2 the shelves in now, just need to get time to get some more shelf material and we'll be all set.

Tim Bateson
01-02-2013, 1:06 PM
How do you guys/gals work in such a pristine environment - my shop is total chaos? :D If..... I ever finish my new work area... it still won't be as neat as you guys have, but closer.

Mark Maslonkowski
01-02-2013, 9:10 PM
Tim, I only do this as a hobby so I don't have the daily chaos in the shop but as the saying goes a clean work area makes for a happier and more productive work area.

Glen Monaghan
01-03-2013, 12:27 AM
Hobby or no, I've never been able to sustain such orderliness and cleanliness... For every "A messy desk is a sign of a messy mind" there is "A clean desk is the sign of a sick mind", for "cleanliness is next to godliness" there's "cleanliness means don't open the closet door!". Hey, creativity is messy, so I must be very creative, right? Despite repeated efforts to set up organizational systems other than my normal "horizontal surfaces are for piling onto" method, it always seems like far too much effort to put that screwdriver/tape dispenser/sandpaper/acrylic drop/engraving jig/etc. immediately back into its designated place the moment I'm (temporarily!) done with it, often because it interferes with the flow of whatever I'm trying to get accomplished. Whaddya gonna do? Personally, I think I'm more productive with my method, until it eventually gets just way out of hand, and then I sift/sort/clean/pitch/reorganize until balance is restored and the cycle continues...

Scott Shepherd
01-03-2013, 8:13 AM
The only reason my stuff looks clean is because I just built it :) The inside isn't a mess yet because it doesn't have any shelves, the top isn't cluttered because it was about to get polished :) It has shelves now and the top is polished and Tim, you'd be proud of it now :)