PDA

View Full Version : areas of concern in a used jointer

keith micinski
12-31-2012, 10:09 PM
I am looking at getting a Grizzly G0609x jointer for a pretty good price but one concern I have is it looks like it has been used in a commercial shop for 5 years. I generally only buy my tools used because its usually a really good value but I have never bought one from a commercial shop where they would get used a fair amount as opposed to the hobbiest that would have nowhere near as much use on it. Other then the obvious areas as far as the table flatness and the fence flatness what else should I be concerned with having to possibly replace sooner rather then later? It is a parallelogram so I am not concerned about set up because I would go through it even if it was new and check the setup anyway. I could see the head bearings would have more use on them but the actual cost of replacing the bearings isn't all that much and I would do the work myself. I then could put the best bearings I can get in there and never have to worry about it again. The motor while not cheap is the only other area I could see having excessive wear from being in a commercial setting.

David Kumm
12-31-2012, 10:18 PM
The motor would be the big deal. Commercial shops use Grizzly hard and consider them throw away. The motors are notorious for not standing up to prolonged use so factor in the cost of a replacement. Check the table closely but if good will stay good as the cast iron is now seasoned. As cheap as used jointers are it would have to be cheap. Dave

Bruce Wrenn
12-31-2012, 10:22 PM
The only moving parts in motor are rotor, bearings, and start switch. The rotor is supported by bearing which are very inexpensive ( $10 for both.) Grizzly should stock start switch. Being in a commercial setting could mean either of two things, used or abused. Look at other tools in shop and see how they look. This should give you an idea of what shape jointer is in.

keith micinski
12-31-2012, 10:25 PM
Not knowing the frame model I cant be sure just yet but it looks like replacing the motor with a Leeson 3 hp would be about 350. the other thing is even though I don't really see myself using the 12 inch capacity all that much if I wanted to upgrade it to a 5 hp motor this would give me an opportunity to do that.

keith micinski
12-31-2012, 10:29 PM
The only moving parts in motor are rotor, bearings, and start switch. The rotor is supported by bearing which are very inexpensive ( $10 for both.) Grizzly should stock start switch. Being in a commercial setting could mean either of two things, used or abused. Look at other tools in shop and see how they look. This should give you an idea of what shape jointer is in.

From the photos of the shop it looks like a mix of newer and older delta and grizzly tools and looks like a regular shop setting. I have rebuilt and replaced bearings on larger three phase motors at work and I'm not scared of getting my hands dirty to fix some stuff. The overall cosmetic condition of the machine looks good so I am going to operate under the assumption the head bearings and the motor need replaced and then if I get another 10 years out of them it will be a bonus.

Rich Riddle
12-31-2012, 10:34 PM
As cheap as used jointers are it would have to be cheap. DaveI am looking at a used one now and wish it was cheap, but 15" costs $$$.

David Kumm
12-31-2012, 11:05 PM
See it is a 12" spiral so that helps. I'd go 5 hp too. With old Oliver, Porter, etc 12" going for 2000-3000, the Grizz would have to be less than 1500. Dave

Jeff Duncan
01-02-2013, 12:35 PM
If it's a 3 phase machine than as you know already.... pretty simple motor and easy to rebuild. Single phase have more junk in there to cause problems so something to keep in mind. Jointers in general are pretty simple machines, so give it a good look over and make sure nothing is cracked or broken....especially places like under the tables where a crack in the inexpensive Asian cast iron supports may be a bit harder to find!

I also agree with David, a spiral head makes the machine worth a bit more in my book, but it's still an Asian import so don't overpay;)

good luck,
JeffD

Jim Andrew
01-02-2013, 2:12 PM
I have a jointer this model, can't imagine why you would need more than 3 hp. Unless you are a lot stronger than I am. I face joint most of my boards, amazing how flat 2 passes through the jointer makes a board, but to the point I can't push a board fast enough flat to pull the motor down. Of course, I am 61, and not nearly as strong as I once was.

Stephen Cherry
01-02-2013, 3:06 PM
I bought an older 12" Tiawanese Grizzler wedge jointer from a commercial shop. It was lightly used, and has worked out great. I have occaisionally thought of upgrading, but I haven't mostly because this one flattens boards pretty well.

I would go and check it out- you'll be able to tell what type of use it had.

keith micinski
01-02-2013, 9:13 PM
It's probably a good thing I cant get the guy to answer his phone because I really want this thing.

Rick Fisher
01-02-2013, 10:14 PM
I have a 12" Jointer with a 4hp PH-3 motor, I can say that 4hp is over-kill for a 12" jointer.. I suppose if you face jointed 12" boards all day it may stand up well, but it never hesitates or even really changes its tone much ..

Ronald Blue
01-02-2013, 11:48 PM
So is this going to be an upgrade and if so what is the jointer you are replacing? You are after all only a few hours away .:)

keith micinski
01-03-2013, 9:24 AM
Well believe it or not I am going from a rigid 6 inch straight to the 12. I really am only looking for an 8 inch G0490x but saw this 12 and thought its only a little more. I haven't been able to get a hold of the guy for days so I am starting to think I need to go back to looking for the 8 inch.