PDA

View Full Version : Neat wooden spoon video

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
12-31-2012, 8:28 PM
I know some other videos from this series of Swedish videos have been posted here, but I hadn't seen this one before - Kari Hultman just posted a link to it on Village Carpenter today, and with the folks sharing their spoon working here lately, I thought it was apropos.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW1YzoRmvUo

I'd be nervous using that little adze thing like that - I feel like I'd lose a digit or two like that!

Jim Koepke
12-31-2012, 8:33 PM
Any one who could make spoons that fast could make a living at that. Of course if you watch closely you can see where there are jumps in the video.

Thanks for sharing.

jtk

john davey
01-01-2013, 9:16 AM
Is green wood the norm for spoons? I have seen a few threads on them now and it seems that green wood is used. Wont these things twist??? Thanks, John...

Gary Hodgin
01-01-2013, 2:31 PM
I bet that guy could whip out a whole set of dishware before his wife finished dinner. Looks like he's made a spoon or two before.

Steve Tomlin
01-01-2013, 3:32 PM
Spoons are usually carved from green wood because it's a whole lot easier when you're using hand tools. They do move a little as they dry, usually just some cupping in the bowl but you can take that into account when you're carving - it's part of the joy of them.