PDA

View Full Version : Another lung protection option

David Walser
12-31-2012, 7:39 PM
From time to time, we've debated the merits of various dust protection options. At the high end, at close to $1,000, are 3M's commercial quality powered respirators such as the Airstream and Breathe Easy systems. Consumer oriented powered respirators, such as the Trend Airshield Pro or the Triton Powered Respirator (now discontinued in the USA) cost $300 - $400. And, of course, there are non-powered dust protection options. Here's one more option to add to the mix: the Breathe-Cool II supplied air respirator.

The Breathe-Cool II is a supplied air respirator -- meaning clean air is pumped to the user through a hose from a fan that might be in another room. The Breathe-Cool II, equipped with a helmet and face shield, is priced at about $370 with 25' of hose (the unit will support up to 400' of hose). (See here: http://www.turbineproducts.com/servlet/Detail?no=5) Other configurations are available for those who don't want a helmet.

An advantage of this approach over the 3M powered respirators (besides cost) is that there are no batteries to recharge. Since unit is plugged into the wall, you'll always have full power and will always be able to use the respirator. No waiting for the battery to recharge before being able to turn. The downside is that you're tied to an air hose. Some of you are cleaver enough to figure out how to suspend the hose from the ceiling, so you wouldn't be tripping over it. Still, it's not as portable as the other powered options.

And then, for those of us in hot climates, there's this: http://www.turbineproducts.com/servlet/Detail?no=77 That makes this option way cool!

Note: I've NOT ever used one of these systems. Just saw it on the internet and thought I'd pass along the information.

Roger Chandler
12-31-2012, 7:55 PM
Very interesting David.........I have the Trend Pro, but this unit looks interesting......as you note it could supply fresh air from outside the dust zone of the lathe area.

mark ravensdale
12-31-2012, 9:02 PM
I have the 3m versa-flow system and although pricey I think it's money we'll spent, used the trend airshield for 6 years and was happy with it (apart from the weight and noise) the versa-flow puts out way more air than the airshield (on paper it's a small amount but in the real world it's way more) the head unit of the versa-flow is a joy to wear, it's so light weight that after a few seconds you forget you have it on (it has a multi adjustable harness support that cradles your head),
3m also do a version of it that's fed from a compressor which may be worth looking at,
I would highly recommend the versa-flow system to any woodturner out there, sure it's pricey but how much does a new set of lungs cost these days ???
also the battery life is in excess of ten hours, the trend airshield batteries were rubbish I was lucky to get 3-4 hours use from two of the batteries, I ended up disassembling them and replacing them with some high capacity nimh batteries of my own but even then I was lucky to get 5-6 hours out of them.
the new/latest trend airshield pro Is apparently a little top heavy and I have had several people tell me it gives them headaches after using it a short while, one of my friends sent it back because of this and went back to using his old airshield (just goes to show that new is not always better I guess!!!)

Dan Wasson
12-31-2012, 9:50 PM
Out of curosity, which model of Versaflo do you have? I see there are several options available?

Dan Hintz
12-31-2012, 11:14 PM
I wish my Trend Pro was quieter... at some point, I may reduce the fan speed in an attempt to hush it, and I don't need that level of airflow. The cooling option isn't necessary since I work out of my basement, but I can imagine it would be sweet in an Arizona shed workshop during the summer!

Steve Harder
01-01-2013, 9:55 AM
I've cobbled together a low tech version of the Breathecool -- it's good enough to keep sanding dust away from my eyes and nose (I wouldn't suggest it for spray painting or other intense mists -- although I did wear it when I had to use some acetone to get ball point ink out of dryer after son left one in pocket of shirt ... ).

Bathroom vent fan, 25ft of VERY flexible sump pump hose, Uvex faceshield with rip stop fabric as a hood over top and side of head. Hose runs from fan located outside room along ceiling, then drops in loop and up my back and over top of head to deliver air downward across face.

My eyes always matter up after sanding, I religiously wear this faceshield and it really makes a difference.

And I wear it in the summer while turning as the wash of cool air keeps faceshield from fogging.

Hose restricts your movements a little, but faceshield is lightweight compared to battery powered units.

Doug Herzberg
01-02-2013, 8:08 AM
I've cobbled together a low tech version of the Breathecool -- it's good enough to keep sanding dust away from my eyes and nose (I wouldn't suggest it for spray painting or other intense mists -- although I did wear it when I had to use some acetone to get ball point ink out of dryer after son left one in pocket of shirt ... ).

Bathroom vent fan, 25ft of VERY flexible sump pump hose, Uvex faceshield with rip stop fabric as a hood over top and side of head. Hose runs from fan located outside room along ceiling, then drops in loop and up my back and over top of head to deliver air downward across face.

My eyes always matter up after sanding, I religiously wear this faceshield and it really makes a difference.

And I wear it in the summer while turning as the wash of cool air keeps faceshield from fogging.

Hose restricts your movements a little, but faceshield is lightweight compared to battery powered units.

As a longtime sufferer of sleep apnea and a pack rat, I have a collection of used CPAP machines. These air pumps, especially the older ones, were very well built medical devices with adjustable air pressure and frictions fittings for 1" air hose. Although they have small filters at the air intake, these would need to beefed up for a shop environment.

If I didn't already have my Trend Pro, I would consider going the do-it-yourself route. For now, I'm keeping them in reserve for the day when it fails.

As America gets bigger and wakes up (pun intended) to the dangers, sleep apnea diagnoses are on the rise. Used machines are available on the internet, but I suspect that most go to the landfills.

mark ravensdale
01-03-2013, 1:43 PM
Sorry for the late reply dan!
The headtop unit I use is the M-106 I was going to get the M-306 but figured the cut-outs on the top of the M-106 would be cooler in the summer and also lighter weight (and they don't let many shavings in as the forehead section deflects 99 percent of them)
I can highly recommend the 3m versa-flow system dan, been using it for around 6-7 months now and have nothing but praise for it!!! (and if something should go wrong in the future spares are very very easy to find/get hold of)

Larry Whitlow
01-03-2013, 2:12 PM
And then, for those of us in hot climates, there's this: http://www.turbineproducts.com/servlet/Detail?no=77 That makes this option way cool!

That is way cool -- looks like it would hold a 6 pack!

David Walser
01-03-2013, 2:33 PM
That is way cool -- looks like it would hold a 6 pack!

I know! Your own private air conditioned world while turning and a cool beverage whenever the mood strikes! What could be better?

Of course, depending the beverage of choice, this option might become a safety issue. It might even affect the quality of the turning you do. Taking me as an example, my beverage of choice would be diet Dr. Pepper. The caffine in that stuff, if I were to drink too many, might make me jittery. I doubt I'd do my best work under such conditions. Others might fill the air cooler with something a little stronger than Dr. Pepper. That, too, has the potential of causing problems.

... maybe this thing's not such a good idea after all.

Larry Whitlow
01-03-2013, 2:51 PM
... maybe this thing's not such a good idea after all.

Yeah, like everything else, there is always a downside. I haven't had a Dr Pepper in years. Going to add that to the list next time we stock up on soda.