PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Bowl

Ed Scolforo
04-27-2005, 6:13 PM
Here's a picture of the first cherry bowl I made from the bunch of slabs my friend cut for me early this month. It's 8 1/4 inches by 3 3/4 high, deffinitely maxed out my Jet Mini! I used the alchy method and it was dry in 2 weeks, very impressed! I gave it 3 coats of Watco Antique oil finish followed by a Beall buff. The end grain really gave me a fit when sanding, I seemed to have alot of tear out there. Maybe it's just my poor technique. Bill G. is going to have to straighten me out in a couple weeks! Anyway, this will be a gift to my friend that gave me the wood. I hope that he likes it.
Ed

Jim Ketron
04-27-2005, 10:05 PM
Looks great Ed!
Hey thats what they make the 80 grit gouge for;)
Keep up the good work!

Tom Pritchard
04-27-2005, 10:06 PM
Ed, if your friend doesn't like it, you can send it to me! :p I think it's beautiful! I really like the shape and color, and you did a fine job of finishing it. Good going!

Mark Singer
04-27-2005, 10:41 PM
Ed, very nice work!

Ernie Nyvall
04-27-2005, 10:49 PM
Good looking bowl Ed. I like the way you got the grain centered.

Ernie

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
04-27-2005, 10:49 PM
Nice going, Ed. Really nice bowl. Have never turned cherry.

John Hart
04-27-2005, 10:56 PM
Nice inspiration for me Ed. Beautiful work!

Kurt Aebi
04-28-2005, 8:41 AM
Ed,

Real nice, I'm sure he's gonna like it.

Like Jim said, the 80 Grit Gouge! Also you should get better with each one you do (or so I'm told, haven't quite gotten the "knack" myself - still doing a lot of sanding).

Keep it up, it keeps me inspired seeing all the work others have done.

Thansk for sharing and good job!

Glenn Hodges
04-28-2005, 9:42 AM
Ed, you did a very good job with this cherry. I have a lot of trouble with all of my fruit wood developing cracks, but I don't see a single one in this piece. The form is pleasing to the eye. When I experience tearout I get my Johnson's Paste Wax, and smear some on the problem area, let it dry a little then sand. This helps with the tearout problem. You might want to try it next time.

Ed Scolforo
04-28-2005, 3:17 PM
Thank you all for the encouraging words. Glenn, thanks for the tip on the wax, I'll give it a try. My Milwaukee close angle drill finally came today, hopefully it will make the sanding go a little easier.

Ed