PDA

View Full Version : What do you want to build - or do - in 2013?

Brian Kent
12-31-2012, 1:50 PM
What is your most unrealistic, far-fetched, outrageously good, superlative hope for the new year - 2013?

Is there something you want to build, something you want to do, something you want to stop or do less of?

This is a completely non-binding question, unlike resolutions that we actually pretend we will keep until about Thursday. :rolleyes:

David Weaver
12-31-2012, 2:19 PM
Lose 40 pounds and redo the kitchen (including making the cabinets) and get an enclosed porch made into a 4 season room instead of a 1 season room.

I might have some of the same resolutions next year, but if the kitchen is still on it, I'll be divorced.

David Weaver
12-31-2012, 2:19 PM
Since you started the thread, you either:

* have a dandy that's going to make many of us cringe or laugh...or

* you're all out and looking for ideas

which is it?

Brian Kent
12-31-2012, 2:26 PM
Actually David I am just enjoying my Sawmill Creek friends. I hope to be happy 51% of the time. I want to get inspired and get better at turning. I want employment to be up for everyone (some friends lost jobs). I want peace on earth and a juice bar. I really like juice bars. I want to avoid spam and purple sodas.

One more thing. I want the patience to wait awhile before I teach my 8-month old grandson how to sharpen chisels. A dull tool is a dangerous tool, you know.

Harold Burrell
12-31-2012, 2:33 PM
I want peace on earth and a juice bar.

I'm sorry, but...those 2 things, in the same sentence...it cracked me up. :D

Mike Allen1010
12-31-2012, 2:34 PM
Thanks Brian for the inspiration to think proactively about the year ahead.

I heard somewhere that if you write something down you are subconsciously more committed to making it happen, so here goes...

1) Get a more reliable, full time job.

2) Figure out what carving tools I need to carve a ball and claw foot.

3) Learn to carve ball and claw feet.

4) Build something with ball and claw feet.

In the "What are you thankful for?" category, I'm sincerely grateful for SMC, the Creek really does feel to me like a community of friends I know, but have never met.

Best wishes to all for a great 2013!

Mike

David Weaver
12-31-2012, 2:55 PM
Harold beat me to it. I think this would make a fantastic bumper sticker or Tshirt.

I want peace on earth and a juice bar. I really like juice bars.

Gary Hodgin
12-31-2012, 3:01 PM
Build wall cabinets for the utility room. My wife expected these about 5 years ago.

Matt Meiser
12-31-2012, 3:30 PM
Planning to start off building a rolling storage unit for under my Festool MFT. I also "owe" my parents at least 6 pieces (cabinetry, a mirror, and a bench) for their master bath and laundry room which we started designing yesterday. And I've got some smaller projects on the list for our house too.

Kevin Groenke
12-31-2012, 3:44 PM
Retire and travel - unfortunately, I have to work ~25 more years so 1-3 weeks at a time will have to suffice. (Puerto Rico tomorrow, Istanbul in March)

A dining table and chairs have been on the list for years, maybe this will be the one. If I am to do that, I'll have to finish up the basement shop so: dust collection, 12" jointer/planer, router in the SawStop's extension table.

Of course world peace, elimination of poverty and hunger, fixing the dysfunctional US congress, ending discrimination of all sorts, curing cancer and other lofty goals would be welcome too.

-kg

Kevin Bourque
12-31-2012, 4:01 PM
What do I want to do in 2013?

Carmen Electra:)

Kevin Groenke
12-31-2012, 4:05 PM
1) Get a more reliable, full time job.
2) Figure out what carving tools I need to carve a ball and claw foot.
3) Learn to carve ball and claw feet.
4) Build something with ball and claw feet.

Hey Mike,

Check out Will Neptune for #'s 2 & 3. I think you're on your own for the others.

If I remember correctly Will uses only 3 edge tools to make his feet. He came up with his "carving schedule" by studying period pieces and reverse engineering how they were done back in the day. He figured that since there were dozens of shops turning out 1000's of pieces, they figured out an efficient and effective way to make the ball and claw - something presumably lost in the years since.

I couldn't find any video or print documents that cover Will's entire process, but it might be outlined in the full episode of RoughCut referred to below.

http://www.thomasjmacdonald.com/media/video.php?vid=eea3d9c1a

Chris Damm
01-01-2013, 8:59 AM
I want to build a cedar strip pontoon boat. This might be the year to get started!

David guetta
01-01-2013, 11:11 AM
I just want to reduce my weaknesses and try to do give positive for every one. I want to do social work for deserving persons.

Shawn Pixley
01-01-2013, 11:52 AM
I want to build a new jewelry cabinet for LOML and enter it in the profession division of a juried competition. To be accepted would be enough.

More pragmatically, I would like to give more than I take, laugh more, and be a better man.

Stephen Tashiro
01-01-2013, 2:38 PM
I'd like to finish all the things I was going to do in 2012.

mike holden
01-04-2013, 9:24 AM
I am planning on making a pair of armchairs like this one:
I have just about finished the plans, need to tune the transition from the back legs to the crest rail a bit, and have bought the wood.

Wish me luck!
Mike

Prashun Patel
01-04-2013, 9:37 AM
Standing computer desk for my office

Entertainment center for a family room tv that will be too small for the tv I will buy in 5 years.

Entertainment center for a basement tv that will be too vulnerable to my son's shoes, bats and projectiles (read, shoes and bats).

108" walnut slab dining room table for my neighbor

Nyquist-style sofa

A million cutting boards.

To turn LESS. Turning has become a vortex for me. It's too easy to 'impulse turn' when I pass my lathe.

Techniques I'd like to improve on: floating panel doors, hand cut dovetails (my Holy Grail)

Jamie Lynch
01-04-2013, 9:48 AM
I've got a busy year ahead.

Make SHMBO happy
Put up fence
Buy and setup new table saw.
Install laminate flooring in office.
Build floor to ceiling bookcase in office.
Build a bed and get rid of cinder blocks :rolleyes:
Build a set of nightstands
Build a desk and get a new iMac for office.
Build a new entertainment center
Build end tables for living room
Build a dart cabinet for entryway

Larry Browning
01-04-2013, 10:24 AM
1. Finish the 6ft round dining table I started last summer.
2. Buy a new bandsaw with the profit money from the table. (Or maybe win the free stuff one!)
3. hookup my new saw to my DC system
4. build and install an overhead blade guard/DC for my table saw.
5. Clean out the storage room and finishing room in my shop. (The are both full of old useless computer and electronic parts. Anybody want an old DVD player that doesn't work?... FREE Or maybe you would like several 14" CRT monitors???)
6. Turn the finish room into an actual finish room, complete with finishing table and a ventilation system.
7. If Keith manages to get a CNC router for the Free Stuff drawing, I want to win that.
7a. Abandon the finishing room idea and have a CNC router room.
7b. Learn how to use a CNC router. (That would be awesome!)
8. If 7 doesn't happen, then I just want to win at least one free stuff drawing! You'd thing I'd have won at least one thing in almost 10 years!

Rod Sheridan
01-04-2013, 11:07 AM
I want to build a new jewelry cabinet for LOML and enter it in the profession division of a juried competition. To be accepted would be enough.

More pragmatically, I would like to give more than I take, laugh more, and be a better man.

Shawn, your second line of objectives is something I should aspire to.................Thanks for the inspiration..........Rod.

Jim Creech
01-04-2013, 11:18 AM
I'll be content with any one of the following:

1. Clean out shop.
2. Organize shop.
3. Do less guitar/violin repair.
4. Send wife to the Virgin Islands for recycling.
5. Build a Whitehall.
6. Send myself to the Virgin Islands for recycling.

Items 1,2 &3 are distinct possibilities.
Item 5 is iffy at best.
Items 4 & 6 are pretty much just wishful thinking. Hey! I can dream can't I?

Quinn McCarthy
01-04-2013, 11:22 AM
I want to build a shaker dining set withtrestle table and 8 chairs.

Out of curly maple.

Quinn