PDA

View Full Version : D-Way service kudas

Thom Sturgill
12-31-2012, 7:54 AM
A while back I bought a CBN wheel from Dave. I had 1" drill bushings that I thought I would be able to use so I did not order his. He questioned it at the time but accepted my response. When I got the wheel I found that the bushings would not fit. The wheel was just under 1". I contacted Dave, chagrined and told him I would need his bushing after all, could he just send me a pay-pal invoice. The bushing arrived promptly and fit perfectly. No invoice.

Yesterday after some discussion here on gouges and shapes, I ordered a 3/8 gouge from him. My only 3/8 bowl gouge is the Jimmy Clewes version from DT and I thought I would try Daves as everyone says they are parabolic flutes. I like to keep multiple gouges sharp and then change gouges rather than stop to regrind. Anyway, I also emailed Dave to tell him to add the price of the adapter to the bill as I had not received an invoice, or just tell me and I would order it. I received a response today:

Yup, I know Merry Christmas from me.

John Keeton
12-31-2012, 8:07 AM
Thom, you should have gotten one of Dave's handles - very comfortable.

Thom Sturgill
12-31-2012, 8:38 AM
John, I'm thinking hard on that idea.

I have, in the past, made all of my handles until I bought one of DTs gouges handled at a show. It feels a little heavier than I like, but I haven't removed the shot from the end, still it makes me leery of metal handles.

I would like to get 'hands-on' before plunking down that kind of change for something I can make although I am tending to agree with Dave that being able to remove the tool from the handle when grinding would be a plus. For him, I'm sure that that is largely because he has to grind them that way to get them ready for shipping, and found that he preferred it. However Doug made the same statement once.

Steve Schlumpf
12-31-2012, 9:18 AM
Thom - I have the CBN 180 grit wheel and a couple of Dave's gouges! Excellent tools! I also have been using a handle from Monster tools for many years. Being able to remove the tool from the handle for sharpening works well for me - especially on the swept back wing design that I use - because you are not fighting the weight of the handle. As far as weight, most of these tubes are aluminum and the added lead weight adds some heft to them. I have all of my handles weighted but it is real easy to add or remove lead shot or BBs should you want too.

Bernie Weishapl
12-31-2012, 10:02 AM
Have had excellent service also. Love the 180 grit wheel and his beading tools along with the tear drop tool.

Ralph Lindberg
12-31-2012, 10:48 AM
When Dave first started selling the beading tools, they came in a set of four (rather then five). I bought a set and showed up at the next club meeting with them in wood handles

Boy did he raze me about that.