PDA

View Full Version : question about wood dyes and laser engraving

paul j campbell
12-30-2012, 11:37 PM
Hello everyone

i am a guy who likes to make mechanical wood toys and recently got a laser cutter to help in that endevour

i am trying to find out if it would work to laser engrave a pattern
onto wood and then dye the wood ..but stiil be able to clealry see the black engraving pattern through the dye

like if you made a lighthouse and created a hatch pattern of the bricks that you engraved into the light house
then dyed the wood red after you have engraved the bricks then put a coat of clear acrylic over it you might get that look of a yesteryear toy
with the black engraving lines showing through the red dye ?

has anyone done this ? or somthing similar and what type of dye did you use ?

john swank
12-31-2012, 12:37 AM
I am still a novice but I have been finishing parts first and then engraving/cutting. The residue cleans up easier.

walter hofmann
12-31-2012, 5:29 AM
Hi there
thats right you need to finish the wood first and then engrave and cut. thats the easy way.
greetings
waltfl

Mike Null
12-31-2012, 7:47 AM
Finish first, engrave, apply sealer then apply black color fill.

Walt Langhans
12-31-2012, 10:22 AM
Depending on the look that you are going for there are a couple of different painting techniques that you can use that will produce some really great results. Once you have put your toy together you can apply a coat of 'wash'. Basically a wash is a watered down version of what ever color you want, you can make one your self or buy them. It's typical to us a black wash that will fill in detail to make it stand out better. Then you can leave it as it is, or go over it with a quick dry brush to bring out more detail. Brick patterns are neat because there is a lot you can do with them, from painting a few bricks different colors, to using ground up chalk to get the white mortar look, to adding cracks and distress marks to make them more realistic. It comes down to how much time an effort you want to put into it. If your interested there is lot's you can google about these techniques, but if your more of a book person the best thing to look for is model train books about building and finishing scenery, either way I can help point you in the right direction if your interested.

Richard Rumancik
12-31-2012, 11:34 AM
The type of dye that is often used for wood is called an aniline dye. If you check out some woodworkers forums you will find some more info to decide if it will work. It is transparent and will show the grain; however as it is water based it can rasie the grain a bit so you need to experiment as to the process. You might also investigate Rit dyes which are available everywhere; some people have success with these on wood.

paul j campbell
12-31-2012, 3:19 PM
i would like to to thank each and everyone of you for your help
it has been invaluable in my efforts

i will check out some of you suggestions
happy new year to all

AL Ursich
12-31-2012, 7:30 PM
CLTT or Color Laser Toner Transfer is another option for wood. Special Paper that has a wax or Teflon type coating that you print in a Laser Paper Printer. The Toner sticks to the paper then you use a Heat Press and press the Transfer to the Wood. Peel the Transfer and most of the Color Toner sticks. Being a Wood Product this can be tricky with the Heat, but could be a choice for you... I saw one guy used a Clothing Iron for small wood stuff to make the transfer on youtube.

Good Luck,

AL

Mason Atom
01-15-2013, 1:12 PM
Weird, I always engrave first then dye and finish. Have never had any problems working that way.

mason

Dee Gallo
01-15-2013, 9:35 PM
I have done both, but find it depends on the wood you are using. For instance, when I am doing a walnut or cherry piece, I engrave first and finish afterwards because it makes the engraving darker. With lighter wood like maple, you almost always need to color fill so finishing first is a must.