PDA

View Full Version : Maple Hollow Form (Reworked....a bit)

Nate Davey
12-30-2012, 10:45 PM
I was trying a new form and this is what I ended up with. I turned it end grain with the pith in. There were several large cracks and a fair amount of spalt. Form is 10"x 6" finished with walnut oil. I didn't get a pic of the base but it the ring base I like to use. It looks a bit squat but it's a learning piece.
Took it back to the lathe, made a "custom" cup center for my tail stock and jam chucked it in my vacuum chuck. Its still not "proper" but a little better. I included a shot of the base as well. Thanks for looking

Jim Burr
12-30-2012, 10:49 PM
Maybe it's just convention, but a bit more taper to the base for my eye. A little smaller opening too. Great piece of wood and I like your finish!

Steve Schlumpf
12-30-2012, 10:57 PM
Looks pretty good Nate! I agree with Jim's suggestion of tapering the form more towards the bottom but other than that it looks really good. How thick is the form?

Nate Davey
12-30-2012, 11:03 PM
Thanks, Jim and Steve. The form is 1/4" due to the cracks. I agree on the smaller more tapered base.

Kathy Marshall
12-30-2012, 11:27 PM
Looks good Nate! I agree with Jim and Steve, that a little more taper towards the base would be better, but it's a nice piece as is and some good looking wood too!

Michelle Rich
12-31-2012, 6:54 AM
Hi Nate..Happy New Year. The wood is divine. I'm not a base/foot lover....In my opinion, you need to complete the curve on the vessel...and maybe define the neck opening a bit...But for a practice piece, I think you are getting there!

Thom Sturgill
12-31-2012, 7:33 AM
Nate, that is a great looking piece of wood - makes any turning look nice! I think the second photo shows the problem as the side appears to be straight for much of its length. A smaller base would have allowed for that to be a continuous curve. I found that on many forms it is hard to really see the finished form when lying on its side. Its worth removing the chuck and standing the piece upright or at least using your camera to take a photo that you can rotate to get a proper perspective.

Bernie Weishapl
12-31-2012, 10:07 AM
Good looking piece Nate. I agree with the others on the form. Wood has a nice rich look to it.

Nate Davey
12-31-2012, 8:02 PM
Reworked the base a bit, I posted the pics and a brief description in the original post.