PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Hollowform

Curt Fuller
12-30-2012, 10:21 PM
Over the last several months I've been enjoying Steve Schlumpf's "Primitive Collection". It has planted an idea in my head to start a series of my own. Because I can't ever seem to like turning wood that is just pretty by itself, I usually end up turning something that reveals the natural aspects of parts of the tree that are normally discarded. So I thought I might call my series "Organic". Kind of a new project for the upcoming new year. This one is a warm up and kind of a test to see if the bark on this type of form will stay intact once the wood dries, shrinks, and warps. Just a small hollow form from somewhat green black walnut with the bark as the upper portion of the form. Lots of cracks, part of the organic thing, 5" around, 4.5" tall, Keith Burns 10 minute finish. You might also see some influence by a recent Bob Rotche piece.

Greg Ketell
12-30-2012, 10:23 PM
I really hope that stays together for you because it is gorgeous!!

Steve Schlumpf
12-30-2012, 10:24 PM
Its a beauty Curt! Rich color, some curl and the inclusions within the bark sure add character! I look forward to seeing more of your series! Should be very interesting!!

Nate Davey
12-30-2012, 10:34 PM
Beautiful piece of wood and a great form Curt. Love the finish

Ted Calver
12-30-2012, 10:42 PM
Lovely form and wood Curt. I hope it holds together, but even if the bark comes off you will be left with an interesting piece.

Jim Burr
12-30-2012, 10:53 PM
Great orientation Curt...shows off all the pretty stuff!

Kathy Marshall
12-30-2012, 11:30 PM
Cool looking piece Curt! Great form and love the rich coloring. Hope the bark stays intact for you and look forward to seeing more in your series!

Leo Van Der Loo
12-31-2012, 12:05 AM
It looks like it rather splits than come off, so far at least, Curt (the bark that is) Black Walnut seems to keep it's bark on quite reliable, but it's still a wait and see I suppose, anyway an interesting piece, and I'm wondering and waiting for the outcome :) :cool:

Michelle Rich
12-31-2012, 6:45 AM
fingers crossed!

Bob Rotche
12-31-2012, 7:42 AM
Really nice piece, Curt! I love the contrast between the bark and the wood as well as the asymetric layout which seems to give it more movement. I'm a big fan of bark inclusions, voids, cracks, etc. but you knew that about me already. I think you will be just fine with the bark. I look forward to the next in your series.

Bernie Weishapl
12-31-2012, 10:05 AM
Beautiful piece Curt and the wood is rich looking. I do like the bark left on it.

Jon Finch
12-31-2012, 8:19 PM
Very nice... love walnut and bark!

Fingers also crossed.

James Roberts
12-31-2012, 9:06 PM
I really like it Curt and hope it holds together but if it doesn't and the bark does fall off there may still be a cool, organic type shape left. I love it as is but if it does let go, post another pic. I'd be curious to see it.

Michael Dromey
12-31-2012, 11:27 PM
Very nice piece. What is the Keith Burns 10 minute finish? I am not sure what that is.

Curt Fuller
01-01-2013, 12:51 AM
Thanks everyone for all the nice comments.

What is the Keith Burns 10 minute finish? I am not sure what that is.
Michael, Keith Burn's 10 minute finish has a couple variations. The version I use is to apply a liberal coat of either Minwax Antique Oil or Watco Danish Oil, let it soak in for about 5 minutes, and then wipe it down as thoroughly as you can. I mean really wipe it down until it doesn't hardly feel sticky or oily. Then on this Walnut I immediately buffed it using the tripoli wheel only and then the carnuba wax wheel. Really does only take about 10 minutes and gives a nice soft sheen.

David E Keller
01-01-2013, 9:34 AM
A Curt Fuller organic series?! Hang on a second, let me get my popcorn.... OK, carry on... I'm REALLY looking forward to this, Curt!