PDA

View Full Version : Metric tape measure

Brad Adams
12-30-2012, 9:01 PM
Does anyone know where I could purchase a quality metric only tape measure. I find myself using metric a lot more when building projects. The even numbers are way easier to calculate everything. Once you start building things in metric it is hard to go back to fractional measurements. I have a cheap metric/standard tape I found at my local Menards, but would like a metric only.

Dick Mahany
12-30-2012, 9:15 PM
Brad,
i worked professionally for many years using the metric system and I can totally understand your like for the system. My problem with it is that in the US, the inch system seems to be the only practical system to use. So I split the difference and use decimal inches ! ( go ahead and laugh guys, but it works for me ;) ).

I think Lee Valley has a nice metric tape and it seems reasonably priced. With so much of our raw materials being imported any more ( think plywood and pen kits for example ), metric makes sense, but tradition is tough to change.

Chris Rosenberger
12-30-2012, 9:19 PM
FastCap has some good metric tapes.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=a9_sc_1?rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Afastcap+metric+tape+m easure&keywords=fastcap+metric+tape+measure&ie=UTF8&qid=1356920253

Don Jarvie
12-30-2012, 9:26 PM
Ditto Lee Valley.

Kevin Cehelsky
12-30-2012, 9:35 PM
I have a Fastcap as linked above. Awesome quality for a low price.

John Coloccia
12-30-2012, 9:43 PM
FWIW, I use decimal inches for everything too. Starrett used to make some neat tape measures...like mm on one side, and decimal inches on the other. Not sure if they're still doing stuff like that.

Dan Grebinski
12-30-2012, 10:05 PM
McFeely's carries FastCap and has them on sale every now and then.
http://www.mcfeelys.com/tape-measures/1/0/METRIC

Dan

Rod Sheridan
12-31-2012, 9:20 AM
I use the 8m Lee Valley tape................Rod.

Rian de Bruyn
12-31-2012, 10:55 AM
How many do you want ??????
Once you go metric you NEVER go back

Peter Quinn
12-31-2012, 12:24 PM
I have a few metric tapes from Stanley, 5M I think? Got mine at a flea market but they sell them on amazon, or did. Good for most WW projects. I also have a festool, hard to read in the shop lighting, not their finest offering. It has some interesting features but doesn't really do what I need in use. At work I make things for a lot of European clients, most of the machines have standard and metric combo tapes on them by coincedince, so that's convienent. I work mostly in decimal inches for detailed work because that's what my calipers scale is,and mentally it's easier for me now, fractions are for the birds iMhO.

Halgeir Wold
12-31-2012, 12:52 PM
Whohooo - a quiet revolution in the palace ???

< ducking and running > :D

Happy New year guys....

Rod Sheridan
12-31-2012, 2:20 PM
Whohooo - a quiet revolution in the palace ???

< ducking and running > :D

Happy New year guys....

Happy New Year Halgeir.

Canada went metric in the seventies.

I went metric in the shop about 5 years ago as I was tired of fractions, and who cares whether a shelf is 3/4" or 20mm?

So much easier to deal with 20mm................Regards, Rod.

Jim Becker
12-31-2012, 10:27 PM
I bought mine from Lee Valley...

Jeff Duncan
01-02-2013, 12:39 PM
The big orange box used to carry a 16' version that had both measurements on it and a 25' metric only. Also as mentioned Fastcap offers several versions, and Woodcraft also stocks metric tapes. Basically they're not hard to find anymore.

You can count me out on switching just yet though. I do have to convert for my CNC drill, but everything else is still the old goofy imperial system:D

good luck,
JeffD

Pat Barry
01-02-2013, 12:44 PM
I will be dead before I convert to metric. In fact, I personally think that metric should be outlawed in the USA. Happy new year.

Rod Sheridan
01-02-2013, 12:47 PM
I will be dead before I convert to metric. In fact, I personally think that metric should be outlawed in the USA. Happy new year.

Come on Pat, don't be shy, tell us how you really feel.......Rod...................LOL