PDA

View Full Version : An easier way to wet end grain when cutting

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
12-30-2012, 2:59 PM
I recently received the Feb. 13 issue of Popular Woodworking, and there's a tip I submitted in that issue; it occurred to me that I hadn't posted it here - I thought I had mentioned it, but a quick search didn't turn anything up, so I thought I'd share it here as well. It's nothing ground-breaking, but it's been helpful to me at times.

Often times, wetting end grain with alchohol or mineral spirits makes the cutting easier and the finish better. It isn't always necessary, of course, but sometimes it makes the difference. A lot of times with smaller pieces, I forgo this step because I don't like wrestling open the container and whatever "safety" lid it's got, and then dealing with a rag or a brush to wipe it on.

It occurred to me I've got the perfect solution in my art drawer - most artists markers are alcohol based. Obviously, I don't want to color my piece, but artists-brand markers, like Copic, Prismacolor and others often sell what they call a "blender" marker - it's basically just the solvent, without any pigment added. The purpose is to blend the colors that are already put down on the paper.

But it works great for wetting smaller amounts of end grain - just uncap the marker, draw over the end grain a couple of times, cap it up and your good to go. No muss or fuss.

I've been using the Copic Wide (http://www.copicmarker.com/products/markers/wide) brand markers, because the nib is fairly wide - it's 3/4" of an inch, but if you get the skewed tip, you get 7/8" of width. Most nice markers like the Copics are refillable when they're used up, and the nibs are replaceable if they get too chewed up.

If you prefer a something other than alcohol, "blank" markers, with nothing inside are available - marketed to artists to custom mix colors, I've had luck filling them with mineral spirits. I haven't tried oil.

Be careful filling them up - the insides are almost like a sponge, and if you put a whole lot of liquid in there at first, it will spill out as it takes a bit for the insides to soften up and start really absorbing. Adding a little bit and then adding a little more later seems to be the best way to go.

These markers are readily available at art stores, and online at Amazon and Dick Blick. I've used both the Copic and Prismacolor with success, I'd imagine other brands would work.

Jim Koepke
12-30-2012, 3:38 PM
Congrats on getting published.

You didn't post as elaborately on your tip, but did mention it in the "Shooting Board Woes" thread.

Still a good tip. Have to look for one of these next time in town. Seems like there might be a few uses around the shop.

May even be useful on the lathe at times.

My latest attempt to submit an article has fallen victim to everyone being out of the office for the holidays. See what happens next week.

jtk

Chris Griggs
12-30-2012, 4:13 PM
Hey! Cool tip. Congrats on getting it into PWW. Led holders, blending markers.... your full or art store solutions. Excellent stuff!

Sam Murdoch
12-30-2012, 4:48 PM
Excellent - thanks for the idea - in this case a good tip on using a tip :). Will do.

george wilson
12-30-2012, 4:58 PM
Take a pair of snips and cut away the annoying plastic cover from the "safety caps".

Sam Murdoch
12-30-2012, 5:17 PM
Take a pair of snips and cut away the annoying plastic cover from the "safety caps".

Yes indeed - off listerine type bottle caps among others - snip snip and you have successfully overridden the safety protocols. On lacquer thinner cans or the like - just snip off the white outer cover for the same easy access.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
12-30-2012, 5:38 PM
Definitely - on the "push to open" caps on things like the Danish oil (made from pure cold-pressed Danes?) I snip off the white outer layer so I just have the metal screw top beneath. The mineral spirits I usually end up getting has that annoying pry open with a screwdriver cap; can't see how to best over-ride that.

If I'm going to do very much of this, I certainly just rag it on from the bottle. But for little jobs, this is more convenient for me; nice for some of the shaping of end grain I did on my replacement bow saw arm. Having a marker in my pocket makes it easy.

Didn't occur to me to snip off the tabs on listerine-style bottles, though. Thanks for the tip!