PDA

View Full Version : Two more carvings finished!

Bart Sharp
04-27-2005, 4:16 PM
Here are pictures of my latest two letter carving experiments. One is basswood, and the other is mahogany. The mahogany is definitely more of a challenge to carve, but I think the look is worth it. The light one is finished in Deft spray lacquer. I wanted water-based poly because that's what I used on my first one, but all my local Ace had was the Deft. I'm glad of it too, because that stuff is great! The mahogany is finished with shellac.

Every one of these is a learning experience. Any comments are welcome!

Jon Olson
04-27-2005, 4:31 PM
Both signs are great!!! But that Hot Rod sign is awesome!!! i love the color and the lettering. i really like the pin strip design...yours or the shop owners??

jon

Richard Wolf
04-27-2005, 4:34 PM
Excellent work on the signs.

Richard

Bart Sharp
04-27-2005, 4:34 PM
Both signs are great!!! But that Hot Rod sign is awesome!!! i love the color and the lettering. i really like the pin strip design...yours or the shop owners??

jon

Actually neither, I found that on the internet. I would like to find someone who can do that kind of pinstripe though, so that I could get original patterns in the future. By the same token, I want to find someone who is really good at calligraphy, because having patterns hand drawn would open up a lot of possibilities over what I can do on the computer.

Thanks for the compliments!

Kelly C. Hanna
04-28-2005, 6:05 PM
Looks great Bart!!! You did a great job on both signs...I know Bill will be happy to have it!

Michael Ballent
04-28-2005, 6:18 PM
WOW those look great!!! I really like the Hot Rod one the best, it looks like you get crisper (is that a word?) lines with the harder woods. Is a granite cartuche next? :D

Bruce Shiverdecker
04-28-2005, 6:23 PM
Werrrrrrrrrrrrrrry NICE >>>>>YOU WARCALLY WABBIT!

I REALLY LIKE the second one.

Bruce

Bart Sharp
04-28-2005, 6:40 PM
WOW those look great!!! I really like the Hot Rod one the best, it looks like you get crisper (is that a word?) lines with the harder woods. Is a granite cartuche next? :D

Word or not, that was my impression too. The harder wood just seems to take detail better than bass. I think I'll stay away from granite, but butternut is the next experiment. Then on to walnut and cherry!

lou sansone
04-28-2005, 7:48 PM
excellent work!!! you have some real skill

keep up the good work
lou

Jeff Sudmeier
04-29-2005, 8:18 AM
Bart, those signs look perfect! You have some great technique in accomplishing both of those!

Kent Parker
04-29-2005, 9:37 AM
Very nice Bart. I've done a bit of letter carving in teak and found it to be very easy to cut with consistancy without going "oops".

Bass is a very soft wood. One of the guys in my shop used to restore old woodies (cars) and claims that's the wood that was used for interior overhead battens. Looks nice varnished.

KP

Ken Fitzgerald
04-29-2005, 9:41 AM
Bart...you've taken this beyond the "experiment" stage. Nice signs!

Bart Sharp
04-29-2005, 12:03 PM
Very nice Bart. I've done a bit of letter carving in teak and found it to be very easy to cut with consistancy without going "oops".

Bass is a very soft wood. One of the guys in my shop used to restore old woodies (cars) and claims that's the wood that was used for interior overhead battens. Looks nice varnished.

KP

How hard is teak relative to mahogany? I've always thought teak was really hard, but I've never worked with it. If it isn't, then maybe I should add that to my list of "must-try" woods!

I didn't think about it, but you're right about it being a little easier to avoid "oops"es with the harder wood. There were several times when I popped out of a cut that intersected another line and banged in to the far side of the groove. That probably would have left a gash in bass, but didn't leave a scratch on the mahogany.

Bart Sharp
04-29-2005, 12:07 PM
excellent work!!! you have some real skill

keep up the good work
lou

Thanks Lou, I appreciate that. My plan is to practice, practice, practice.

Jeff, you might rethink the word "perfect" if you saw them up close, and you would certainly rethink the word "technique" if you were to watch me hacking away at these things. :D