PDA

View Full Version : key for Rigid planer R4332

jim dort
12-30-2012, 1:24 PM
I bought a floor model of the Rigid planer, model R4332. I believe I need some sort of plastic yellow key to make it work, but I didn't get one when I bought it. Can anyone confirm what type of key I need? Also, while I am waiting for Rigid to send me a key, can anyone suggest a work-around for the interim?

Keith Westfall
12-30-2012, 9:17 PM
Make one. Stick a couple of pieces of hardwood in the slots (about 1/2") and it should connect with the bottom part of the switch and turn it on. The yellow key is just a disconnect between what you see, and the actual switch. A key from another tool may fit...

Gary Hodgin
12-30-2012, 10:31 PM
I bought either a display planer or sander several years ago that did not have a key. I called ridgid and they sent me one right away.

P.S. As Keith mentioned, those keys are interchangeable.

Rich Engelhardt
12-31-2012, 8:03 AM
I bought a floor sample Ridgid jointer that didn't have the yellow key.
I called Ridgid customer support and they told me to go back to the store and have the store file a claim and get one for me, which is what I did.
They said I could buy one if I wanted. IIRC, it was something like $5.00 for the key - but - they also wanted an extra $10.00 for shipping/processing. I said no way.
Two days later, I got a call from the Home Depot store that filed the claim saying they couldn't get a key and that I had to call Ridgid myself and get one. I told them about the charges Ridgid wanted to nail me with and they gae me the name of a person in customer support to talk to. That person had told Home Depot they would just handle it as a normal warranty claim and send one out to me N/C once I contacted her.

I called Ridgid back - talked to the same woman that had told me I could order one and pay for it. I asked to talk to the person Home Depot had told me to ask for and said that person had told the Home Depot store she would handle it as a normal warranty claim.
She said there was no need to talk to her, that she could handle the warranty claim herself and that she would overnight a key to me N/C.

P.S. - as mentioned those yellow keys are interchangable.

Mark Ashmeade
12-31-2012, 8:53 AM
And that, Rich, is one of the main reasons I sold my nearly all my RIDGID tools. Customer service is appalling. Lifetime warranty is nothing of the sort.

Contrast with Bosch. I had a 12V drill drop a cog in its gearbox. Send it in, we'll overnight you a new one. It was within its year bumper-to-bumper though. I also had an older recip saw with a cracked handle. Send that in too, we'll fix it - free. They did. No fuss, no phone tennis.

RIDGID got me started, and I had a shop full of them when the stores round here stopped carrying them and clearanced the inventory. I'm grateful for that opportunity, but my orange view of life wore thin pretty quickly.

Joseph Tarantino
12-31-2012, 12:30 PM
and i love all my ridgid tools and have never had ridgid not satisfy, for free, any request made for missing or worn parts for any ridgid tool i've purchased. and once you know how to interact with the LSA, it's phenomenal.

i also had a missing key insert on a 6" jointer i bought that was labelled "missing parts". turns out all it was missing was the yellow insert. got the new jointer for $150 and had ridgid send me a two pack of inserts gratis. count me in the happy ridgid owner camp.