PDA

View Full Version : HVLP Sprayer, What to Buy?

Frank Lopez
04-27-2005, 4:14 PM
I've been looking into an HVLP sprayer. I will primarily be using it for smaller projects using everything from laquer, polys and some paints (waterbourne ceramic based paint). Right now I am leaning towards a turbine sprayer, non-bleeding type and preferably with a gravity feed type gun. Everything I have heard is that the non-bleeder tends to not kick up as much dust. The gravity feed gun is easier to clean. The paints that I would be using would be water borne based paints. Trying to keep cost in mind, but I want something that will perform well. What makes/models would you suggest? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Michael Gibbons
04-27-2005, 4:54 PM
Frank, I've been eyeing the Turbinaire 1235 at Woodcraft on Van Dyke & 161/2. When I plan to buy I am buying it with the non-bleeder gun and accessory kit. I believe that the non-bleeder gun is a bit extra so plan on spending about $850+

D.McDonnel "Mac"
04-28-2005, 11:22 AM
Guys, talk to Jeff Jewitt at Homestead Finishing. He has a whole range of equipment from Conversion guns to full turbine rigs. My 5+ year old cheapie failed in the middle of my last job and Jeff was very helpfull!! I ended up with an acuspray conversion gun with a 1 gallon pressure pot. A really sweet set up for me.

No affiliation just a satisfied customer.

Mac

Jay Albrandt
04-30-2005, 12:35 AM
I second the vote to check Jeff's website. He has a lot to choose from.

Homesteadfinishing.com

No affiliation, I have just drooled a lot over his site.

Jay

Jamie Buxton
04-30-2005, 10:18 AM
I've got an Accuspray turbine+gun combo which is now sold as the model 23K. It is the third sprayer I've owned (less expensive Wagners before it), and it works well. The only grumble I have about it is that the gun has the paint cup below the gun, and it restricts shooting into inside corners. However, the upside of this cup is that it holds more finish than the typical gravity-feed cup.

Jim Becker
04-30-2005, 10:40 AM
Non bleeder is the way to go no matter what, IMHO, just for the lack of noise! (My first cheap spray gun was a bleeder and I hated it because of the air noise and the constant running of the compressor) Gravity guns are nice when your projects are small as they are easier to clean up, etc. Pressure guns with a 1qt cup or an external pot (a small 2 qt is nice for the serious hobbiest who doesn't spray day-in, day-out).

Jamie brings up a good point about the agility of the gun. I've been using the Wagner HVLP conversion with attached 1qt cup. It's great for most things, but like any gun with an attached cup (under or over) it's hard to get into tight places, like the inside of cabinetry and casework. I will shortly have the version in my shop that has an external 2qt cut...more of a pain to clean because of the hoses, but just the ticket for getting inside of things. I'll use the original one for quickies since I have cleaning down to a fast process, especially since I only spray water bourne products and use the new gun for furniture and cabinetry projects where I'll be spraying more and have tighter quarters to deal with.

Someday, I'll consider a small gravity gun for really small projects, but not until I master spraying with what I have...it's a continuous learning process.

Brian Triplett
05-04-2005, 10:37 AM
Frank, not to steal your post, I'm in the market to buy HVLP Turbine system myself, but I trying to figure out if they are worth it. I was wondering how many people out there have a sprayer system and how often do you use it?

Bill Neely
05-07-2005, 4:03 AM
Jim, The water borne lacquer, how quickly does it dry? Is it difficult to spray?

Thanks, Bill

lou sansone
05-07-2005, 6:54 AM
I am new to the HVLP world so please forgive my ignorance. I haven't see anyone suggest the porter cable HVLP gravity guns. I have one and it works pretty good and only $70. Is it not considered a real hvlp gun?

lou

Jim Becker
05-07-2005, 9:02 AM
Jim, The water borne lacquer, how quickly does it dry? Is it difficult to spray?

Dries to the touch in minutes...recoat in about 30 minutes. As easy to spray as anything. Spraying finish is less about the material and more about the technique...one must practice. Spraying water on cardboard is a popular method for that! The you move to "wasting" a little finish on scrap to be sure you have a nice smooth delivery and are not "rocking the gun" as you make your pass. The orientation of the gun to the object being sprayed needs to stay the same...most folks (including me) start out with a tendancy to use the wrist which is a no-no. Move just the arm and learn to start spraying just before you cross the boundery of the object and stop just past it...the gun keeps moving. Etc.

Bill Arnold
05-07-2005, 3:20 PM
... Jeff was very helpfull!! I ended up with an acuspray conversion gun with a 1 gallon pressure pot. ...

Mac,

What are the model numbers of the items you got?

Thanks.

Bill Neely
05-07-2005, 8:37 PM
Thanks Jim

D.McDonnel "Mac"
05-11-2005, 4:37 PM
Bill,

I'm at work right now but I believe it was the Acuspray #19 with whatever 1 gal pressure pot Jeff handles. I really like the pressure pot as it has big wing nuts to hold the top down and you can just set a 1 Qt can of finish in the pot, put the lid on and the tube goes right down into the finish. When you are done a little reverse pressure and the finish goes back into the can. Replace the finish with a container of cleaniing fluid spray till it's empty, clean the lid passages and the gun and you are done. cleanup takes me about 10 to 15 minutes and I'm using enamel paint.

mac