PDA

View Full Version : Well, I'm 0 for 2, but will try again next year

Jim Tobias
12-30-2012, 1:07 AM
I posted pictures last year of projects that I had made in my first attempt at gaining entry into the Piedmont Craftsmen. The Piedmont Craftsmen is a group of artist from all over (mostly southeast) in many different mediums. Their headquarters is in Winston-Salem, NC which is about 7 miles from Lewisville, NC where I live.
I thought it would be a great idea(and still do) to try and get in the organization. Anyway I tried again this year and did not make it again. But, I'll still try again next year. It is a lifetime membership once you get in so the organization takes entry very seriously. I think my problem is I am not coming up with something that is "unique/different" enough for the judges' taste. Any suggestions/critiques/ideas will be greatly appreciated.
So, I thought I would post the projects here In a couple of posts) and show what I have been up to the past couple of months.
Jim

Jim Tobias
12-30-2012, 1:20 AM
249504249503249505249506249499249500249501249502A few more
Jim

Jim Tobias
12-30-2012, 1:21 AM
249507249508249509249510And last ones.
Jim

Shawn Pixley
12-30-2012, 2:11 AM
Really nice work! Good luck!

Rob Wong
12-30-2012, 2:56 AM
Wow, I think your boxes are stunning. Nice and also unique!

I would like to see them in person.

Rob

glenn bradley
12-30-2012, 5:40 AM
Beautiful boxes. Very well done. To a group like that who see so many examples of similar items, you really do need something that will catch their eye. This may mean in order to gain access you will need to work outside your usual tastes and styles. Good luck.

Andrew Kertesz
12-30-2012, 7:35 AM
Nice looking boxes! I'm curious about the second box in the first set of pictures. Are the box sides sycamore?

lowell holmes
12-30-2012, 10:12 AM
I'm amazed they refused you.

Maybe you need to drive an eight penny nail into one of the boxes.

I don't remember the woodworker's name, but he built a beautiful piece and then drove a big nail in it.
The artistic community raved over it. I thought it was stupid.

I bet if you submitted your work to a woodworkers guild, you would be accepted quickly.

Larry Fox
12-30-2012, 10:15 AM
Jim, the workmanship and material selection on your boxes are off the charts. However, I agree with Glenn that in order to get the attention of the judges who probably see hundreds of entries per year you need to really wow them and I think that might mean going beyond the rectangular box.

Have you referenced any examples of entries of Entries which have gained their creators entrance? If so, does it give you a sense of what they are looking for and if so this might steer you in a different direction or stretch your design skills.

Also - if this is as exclusive an organization as it seems that it is, it is likely that you WANT it to take you a few tries to get in.

In closing though - those boxes are beautiful.

Ted Calver
12-30-2012, 10:26 AM
I think Glenn has a good point about working outside your comfort zone. Perhaps add inlay, do some mixed media boxes, add color and or carving. Just looked at their site and there were not a lot of pure 'wood' pieces. You may be facing a jury that has a bias toward other media, so it could be a struggle. Endeavor to persevere:)

Mark Valsi
12-30-2012, 10:55 AM
Very nice, but I think ruined by the Piano hinge. I loathe those things, except on a piano !!
In your first post, the first box was nice but the dark "chassis" put me off, and the second one was too "tall" for the proportions to be optimum. I really like that box in the second post, but the P Hinge ruined it for me, same for the last one !

Jim Tobias
12-30-2012, 12:48 PM
Shawn Pixley, Rob Wong.................. Thanks.

Glenn Bradley..............Thanks and I agree and will get further out of "my box" for next years attempt.

Andy Kertesz......... Thanks and it is qtr sawn sycamore

Lowell Holmes.............Thanks, the "nail' idea is what I need to come up with, I suppose.

Larry Fox...... Thanks and I agree that I need to stretch the design in some fashion to make my entries more unique. On the requirements for the organization, the President of the group told me that she attempted 3 times before she was accepted so I'm not discouraged yet!

Ted Calver......... Thanks, I will definitely be trying to get "outside of my comfort zone" next year. The jury changes each year and is made up of 12 members. There is at least one member from each medium on the jury. It is an up/down vote from each of the jury members.

Mark Valsi.......Thanks for the comments. I don't(obviously) have the same disdain for piano hinges as you. My thought process was that as jewelry boxes, the tops would be lifted and closed often and the small piano hinges would provide extra support on the long, narrow boxes. The "dark Chassis" on the first box is fumed eucalyptus veneer and I happened to like the contrast with the lighter maple and bubinga veneer top panel. Just a matter of taste. On the proportions of the 2nd box(1st post), I agree that it was a little tall for the "golden ratio" rule, but I was trying to not make all of the boxes too similar and thought this one with the copper patina top and wild lacewood could be a little different. Again, just a design decision.

thomas prusak
12-30-2012, 1:42 PM
all the boxes you made, accepted or not are top notch workmanship and you should be proud of them.

Carl Civitella
12-30-2012, 2:02 PM
Everything is very well done, love all of them. Perhaps they are looking for more challenging joinery and not run of the mill miters and dowels and splines. Maybe something a little more craftier. I don`t know, your work is great. I love boxes. Carl

Jim Tobias
12-30-2012, 2:15 PM
all the boxes you made, accepted or not are top notch workmanship and you should be proud of them.

Thanks Thomas, I appreciate the comment.
I'm personally satisfied with the boxes. The only thing that I am unhappy about is the fact that I have not been able to come up with something that appeals to the judges.
But, in the long run, it will make me stretch to do different type projects.
Jim

Jim Tobias
12-30-2012, 2:18 PM
Thanks Carl,
I agree that I need to do something that is less traditional(although these are not extremely traditional IMHO). I am thinking that I will try to do something that utilizes more of the natural shapes of wood or burl veneers.

Jim

Mike Null
12-31-2012, 7:24 AM
Jim

Like all the others I am impressed with the quality look and finish of your boxes.

My criticism would be the use of too many woods.

Thomas Bank
12-31-2012, 7:53 AM
Excellent work, Jim. I belong to the local chapter of the Pennsylvania Guild of Craftsmen (http://ybcrafts.org/), but have not worked up to the point of having any of my work juried. However, they offer three basic benchmarks in the jury process:

excellence in craftsmanship
resolved design
unique voice or style

You've obviously got the first two down, but like the others have said, I think that your issue is the third benchmark. You need some detail to your boxes that set them apart from the others out there - something that people will identify as being a "Jim Tobias original."

As an example, one of our juried members, Jim Whetstone, does boxes with wooden bows on them:

Anyone who sees one of these identifies them with Jim - or quickly finds out about Jim if they do not know.