PDA

View Full Version : Double Raised panel bits ??

Clarence Martin
12-29-2012, 11:04 PM
Looking to reproduce some drawer fronts for an old dresser that is in need of repair. The drawer fronts are of Hard Maple and they have 2 sets of raised panels. The one nearest the edges of the fronts are smaller than the other raised panels.

Is there a double raised panel bit on the market that can duplicate what I am trying to do ??

Mike Heidrick
12-30-2012, 1:00 AM
Have a picture? Own a shaper?

glenn bradley
12-30-2012, 5:46 AM
Agree a picture or diagram of the profile will get you better results.

Jamie Buxton
12-30-2012, 10:34 AM
It sounds like you need two bits. Places like Eagle America sell panel raising router bits with a variety of profiles and reveals. (http://www.eagleamerica.com/router_bit_index)
But a pic would help a lot.

Peter Quinn
12-30-2012, 10:39 AM
All chant "We want pics...we want pics.....we want pics...." or at least a good drawing. If you mean a double sided raised panel, they make them for shapers. You may find a router bit with a back cutter included, but I've never seen a double sided panel raiser for the router, they can't really take out that much wood at one time, or spin that much steel that high on the spindle.

Curt Harms
12-30-2012, 10:47 AM
I agree with the 'pics would help'. You can buy panel raising router bits with different diameters/reveals. For instance, Woodline has panel raisers from 2" to 3 1/2" diameter. a 2" panel raiser will produce a 3/4" reveal while a 3 1/2" panel raiser will produce a 1 1/2" reveal. Is that what you're referring to?

Ole Anderson
12-30-2012, 12:45 PM
You may find a router bit with a back cutter included, but I've never seen a double sided panel raiser for the router, they can't really take out that much wood at one time, or spin that much steel that high on the spindle.

I thought most 1/2" shaft router panel raisers rout both sides of the panel at the same time. Mine does, it's a Summerfield. I do take 3 passes though, where a shaper might do it in one.