PDA

View Full Version : Shop pics

Steve Rozmiarek
12-29-2012, 9:24 PM
Thanks for the suggestions for the wiring to all. I posted a bad pic of my shop, and thought I'd get some better ones up. Lets try this...249458249459249460

I was siding, but winter happened Christmas eve, so back to some inside work. It's L shaped, 55x50, comes out to about 2300 square feet not counting the basement. The basement is only under the wing with the ridge windows.

Brian Brightwell
12-29-2012, 9:47 PM
How about some pictures of the inside. Are your DC and electrical going to be overhead or from below?

Dick Mahany
12-29-2012, 9:58 PM
Just beautifull ! Must keep progress pics coming for those of us who can only dream of such a shop :).

Steve Rozmiarek
12-29-2012, 10:02 PM

Here are some inside pics. There were 14 rooms in there, now one. You can see a "balcony" in the first pic, it is what is left of the second floor rooms. My daughters waged a successful campaign to save a bit of it, so I need to finish it up a little, frame for a 9' door on the east wall, and that pretty much finishes the little bit of rough stuff to finish, then insulation, drywall, floors, HVAC, railings, dust collection piping, etc. Oh, and finish siding it as soon as it is warm enough outside...

The ceilings will be insulated to the bottoms of the rafters, the cross ties will be exposed. Soffit and ridge vent with an air channel above the foam insulation for the roof ventilation. Think I'll end up with 12" of isullation under the roof. The walls will have at leastt 6" of insulation. Windows are all new Jeld-Wen "super efficient" as are the doors. The goal was R-58 in the ceiling, we might get it. Should be an efficient building at least.

For now the plan is drywall interior, oak floor. T-8 strip lights, or maybe LED, will know more this next week.

The basement is a full 8', unfinished, well gutted back to unfinished. That was a horrible job. I intend to put a bathroom down there later, along with the cyclone an air compressor and the furnace.

That is the condensed plan. Think I have a before pic, will post it if I can find it.

Jim Andrew
12-29-2012, 10:04 PM
Wow, that's nice. Like the ridge windows. My shop is only 1250 sf, but is about to become 350 sf bigger. Guess 1600 sounds pretty good.

Steve Rozmiarek
12-29-2012, 10:23 PM

The first two pics are of when we started two years ago, the third is an example pic of the interior structures. It was three buildings put together, so framing it into one open room was a bit challenging. In retrospect we probably should have just taken it down and reused the foundation.

We gutted it to the supporting walls, then framed under the roof with the much larger rafters for a clear span, and insulation, then removed old supporting walls, then stripped, sheeted and shingled the roof, stripped the old siding, sheeted some of the walls, windows, doors, some siding and now working back inside on the wiring.

The garage beside the house/shop is structurally good, and it is getting siding and shingles too. It's the wood storage shed.

I'm tired just thinking about the work it has taken to get to this point. Couldn't have come close without my wife and only other labor involved. We are hoping to have it finished in another couple years...

Todd Burch
12-29-2012, 10:36 PM
Looking great Steve! Should be awesome when you are finished. I can see the different flavors of buildings on the inside shots!

Todd

Phil Thien
12-29-2012, 10:43 PM
Now I see why you like those ridge windows, they're pretty great!

Dick Mahany
12-30-2012, 9:22 AM
I can just hear it now when the original occupants go through on a grand opening shop tour.................( "Love what you've done with the place" :D).
That re-build looks like a herculean effort !

Steve Rozmiarek
12-30-2012, 12:06 PM
Thanks guys, it has been a lot of work, a lot to go, and I'm really missing working in the woodshop not on it. That being said, I wouldn't change a thing, it has been a great experience.

Brian, you asked about the HVAC and dust collection. My tools list is a Felder CF741 slider combo, a 36" bandsaw, a chop saw station, with a RAS and a SCMS, a Unisaw, a lathe and a 14" bandsaw. Then a bunch of hand tools of course. With those tools, I only need two floor DC hookups, the rest can be on a wall, so I intend to put the Felder in the wing with the balcony, kind of in the middle of everything, and the Uni around that area too.

Because the dust collector is in the basement, it is fairly easy to do either, and where the basement is, I'll run the ducting up through the floor. That only leaves the big bandsaw and lathe that will need plumbed above the floor.

HVAC will be through the floor too I think mostly. The furnace guy wanted to hang it all in the ceiling, but I'm actually having him install a similar system in my office building and it is huge. Don't think I want to loose that much overhead to ducting. He recommended overhead because of dust getting in the ducts, but honestly the dust collector keeps it really clean, and as long as the return ducts can get clean air, I think I'll veto the overhead.

I'm an amateur at this whole process, so any advice would be appreciated.

Todd Burch
12-30-2012, 1:03 PM
I emptied my dust collector yesterday, so this is fresh on my mind.

What DC do you have? Canister, bag or cartridge filter? How will you offload the chips and dust into bags for disposal or burning? Where will you offload - outside or in the basement?

I'm thinking about a basement under my shop (still in planning stage) and putting the DC in it (and compressor too) and after dumping my two 53-gallon bags into four lawn/leaf bags yesterday, I'm not sure I would want to do this in a basement. Even outside, with no breeze, this process is a gagger.

Todd

Steve Rozmiarek
12-30-2012, 11:36 PM
Todd, I think you nailed one downside of using the basement for the dust collector. I have a Oneida cyclone, with the bag grabber, so to no need to actually dump the bin, just grab the bag and carry it out. The bags get dumped out in the garden and used again. I have the smaller bin, which I thought would bug me, but the littler bags are easier to deal with. Somebody in the wiring thread mentioned the bin monitor, which I don't have yet, and that will sure be necessary. I know from experience that it is no fun to clean out a cyclone that gets stuffed...

Guess that is my approach for now.

Jim Andrew
12-31-2012, 7:55 AM
I had to rebuild the old building that is my shop, and am sure it would be easier to build a new building than rebuild an old one. Of course, in yours you have a basement. Not many build a basement under their new shop.

Brian Brightwell
12-31-2012, 9:02 AM
I had to rebuild the old building that is my shop, and am sure it would be easier to build a new building than rebuild an old one. Of course, in yours you have a basement. Not many build a basement under their new shop.

I have always though that a shop with DC and electricial under the floor, with wood storage down below would make a nice shop. The lower level could have one side open to allow low humidity.

Bryan Rocker
12-31-2012, 5:51 PM
Man that is an awesome set up. You have more sq footage than I live in LOL. As to the basement, the one big advantage is you can run air, dc and wiring under the floor and they are easy to reposition.......

Bryan

Todd Burch
12-31-2012, 6:07 PM
I've been studying your interior shop pictures. I see no headers over any doors or windows. What's up with that?

Todd

Joe Angrisani
12-31-2012, 11:44 PM
Quite amazing, Steve. Before you know it "another couple years" will be behind you and you'll be enjoying that enviable shop....

Steve Rozmiarek
01-01-2013, 12:07 PM
I've been studying your interior shop pictures. I see no headers over any doors or windows. What's up with that?

Todd

That was one of my first thoughts when I got the walls opened up too. The old timers that did it used 2x4's on everything, and framed it so the load was transferred straight down from rafters to studs around the openings. it was actually a pretty clever job of being cheap. There was one double window that somebody in the 50's added and did not reframe, which was not like that. It had sagged and was just eliminated. I thought initially that I would have to add all those headers, but everything was still squareish and no issues besides that one window so I went a different way. You can see a large "header" that I added on the support walls, its actually two 2x's that made me feel more comfortable about the load. I wanted to make more insulation room, so in essence there is a wall system inside of the old wall, all attached together. PITA, but it works.

We have serious winds here. A couple months ago it blew 70mph plus for parts of two days, sustained average was in the 50mph range. I live in a brick house, and i could feel the structure vibrating from it, and of course it made me worry a bit about my unfinished woodshop. To set my mind at ease, I spent some time in there just observing, and I honestly think it is more stable than my house. I think it's because the roof is more rigid.

I'm pretty sure if this building had to withstand an inspection, there would be plenty of noncompliance because of the nontraditional thinking required for adapting the new construction to the old. That's the stuff that makes it fun though.

Steve Rozmiarek
01-01-2013, 12:25 PM
Quite amazing, Steve. Before you know it "another couple years" will be behind you and you'll be enjoying that enviable shop....

Thanks Joe, the last two years flew by, so you are probably right. Looking forward to watching it snow while making sawdust!

Steve Rozmiarek
01-01-2013, 12:29 PM

Jim, what was your building before?

Steve Rozmiarek
01-01-2013, 12:30 PM
Man that is an awesome set up. You have more sq footage than I live in LOL. As to the basement, the one big advantage is you can run air, dc and wiring under the floor and they are easy to reposition.......

Bryan

I really wish the basement was under the whole thing, but I'm not complaining!

Jim Andrew
01-01-2013, 7:52 PM
Mine was just an old pole shed, 26 wide, built about 50 years ago now. Amazing the poles haven't rotted off. The "trusses" were 2-2x6 rafters with an X of a pair of 1x8's. Had to put a bottom cord in under the rafters and build them into trusses in place. The "trusses" were not laid out on an even spacing, so I just sheeted the roof over the existing sheet metal and shingled it. Did not want it to sweat like metal buildings do. I built an overhang on the end, reframed the end walls and framed in windows, put siding on it, hung garage doors, looks like a building planned for a shop.