PDA

View Full Version : An Abundance of Copper

James Combs
12-29-2012, 7:35 PM
Turned this "coppery" slimline pen over the past couple days, had to let the casting cure overnight. Found a short piece of automotive ground strap made from copper braid at a local auto-parts store. It had been used and was quite corroded and had a burned area in the center so it didn't leave much good braid available. A little Tarn-X brightened it up and I had enough for half of a slimline. I cast it in Alumilite under pressure overnight and it turned out great. I sculpted the grip a little because at that end there was a bit of a flare in the braid and I was afraid it could be seen and was concerned that I would hit it while turning.. Sooo, now I have a great looking bottom barrel, what to do for the upper barrel...? I remembered I had a short piece of 3/8" copper pipe that I had salvaged from someplace so I thought I would try making the top barrel out of it. I was thinking of using a copper kit but I didn't have a copper slimline kit but I now think the chrome was a better fit.
Here is the result.
249450 249451 249452

C&C Appreciated.

Dan Hintz
12-29-2012, 8:29 PM
I think the copper upper was a good attempt using available materials, but I think the overall pen would have benefited from a bit more flare / bulge on that upper. I think if you purchased a solid copper rod to get a bit more bulge in the middle of the upper it would accent the bottom flare nicely. I like the lower...

thomas prusak
12-29-2012, 9:40 PM
Great looking pen James. Great design

Jamie Donaldson
12-29-2012, 9:58 PM
What a stunning example of recycling mundane materials into a new life of elegance!

Bernie Weishapl
12-29-2012, 10:33 PM
That is a great looking pen. Copper strap just makes it stand out.

Steve Schlumpf
12-29-2012, 11:33 PM
James - what a beauty! You did great sculpting the body - looks very comfortable! Love the copper coloring!! Very nice work!!

Keith Outten
12-30-2012, 10:03 AM
James,

Its a beautiful pen and an innovative selection of materials. Thanks for sharing!

James Combs
12-30-2012, 3:51 PM
I think the copper upper was a good attempt using available materials, but I think the overall pen would have benefited from a bit more flare / bulge on that upper. I think if you purchased a solid copper rod to get a bit more bulge in the middle of the upper it would accent the bottom flare nicely. I like the lower...
Dan, thanks for the critique. I also thought that it would look better with some more "body" centered in the upper barrel. Did not have any copper at the time but I just had a thought. If I cast a similar piece of copper in resin and shaped it, the magnifying qualities of the resin would make the resin look all copper. I may have to give that a try and use the top of this pen on a similarly made copper bottom.

Great looking pen James. Great design
Thanks Thomas, don't know about it being "great" but I like it a lot. Even so I might try the mod described above.

What a stunning example of recycling mundane materials into a new life of elegance!
Waste not, want not! Right Jamie?:cool:

That is a great looking pen. Copper strap just makes it stand out.
Thanks Bernie, I wanted it to be all copper strap(braid) but what you see is all I had.

James - what a beauty! You did great sculpting the body - looks very comfortable! Love the copper coloring!! Very nice work!!
Thanks Steve, I really wanted to do this one in more of a traditional shape but as I noted above I was afraid a slightly "buckled" area would show through.

James, Its a beautiful pen and an innovative selection of materials. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks Keith, appreciate your comments.

Jim Burr
12-30-2012, 3:55 PM
Yeah...the chrome works. Great job casting...Alumilite was a good choice.