PDA

View Full Version : Belt-driven Compressor: Oil Questions

Howard Rosenberg
04-27-2005, 3:07 PM
Hi all -

How do I deal with a belt-driven compressor (this means oil!) if I expect long stretches of non-usage - especially during the winter months.
(an unheated garage during Toronto winters isn't a very hospitable place)

I use my current (oil-less) compressor VERRRY intermittently.
I expect that to change - just a little bit - as I intend to start spraying my finishes.

Any and all insight will certainly be welcome.

Thank you.

Howard

Earl Kelly
04-27-2005, 3:23 PM
Howard, I think if you use a synthetic compressor oil you shouldn't have a problem. However, you might check with a local dealer to get their opinion.

Ken Garlock
04-27-2005, 3:26 PM
Hi Howard. My Ingersoll Rand compressor uses synthetic oil in the crankcase. It came with the compressor and doesn't have a weight on the container as I recall.

If I were you, I would get some 0W30 synthetic and use it in the compressor. I have been using Amzoil synthetic oil in my car for years and I know they also make compressor oil. They do know cold weather being based in Duluth Minnesota.

Bob Johnson2
04-27-2005, 4:03 PM
I've left the Non-Synthetic oil in mine thru the cold N.E. winters, and longer, without any problems. These days I rarely change it due to little use, it's 30 years old and it still runs fine. Next time I have to buy some I'll probably do like the others and switch to synthetic which is what I run in pretty much everything else.

Tyler Howell
04-27-2005, 5:28 PM
I use a magnetic block heater on my IR comp if I'm going to fire it up in the winter. I also change the oil annually, or more often after heavy use.

Rob Russell
04-27-2005, 6:24 PM
Just so folks are clear about the synthetic oils, we're not talking about synthetic motor oil designed for cars, with all the detegents and like - but synthetic oils designed for compressors and listed as acceptable by the compressor manufacturer - correct?

Randy Meijer
04-27-2005, 7:19 PM
With no disrespect implied to the previous posters, your best bet would be to email the manufacturer. If you have a problem with the compressor, they are the folks you will have to deal.