PDA

View Full Version : cable modems and phone lines

jack duren
04-27-2005, 2:22 PM
ive been on a cable modem for around 5 yrs now. price was around $45 a month. sinse i just changed over to dish network, my cable supplier will raise my cable connection to $57 a month. now since i havent played online games for about a yr now i think i might go back to a standard phone line connection. ive notice Netzero running a deal for $14.95 a month. any thoughts or options?

im just at a point between satelite pricing,cell phones,internet connections,watering the grass ;) ,etc i want to start looking at my expenses and cut back if possible.

just on movie rentals we found we could spend up to $50 a month. changing to a company like "net flicks" for $18 a month i can rent through mail. a lil here and there counts considering gas :mad: ..

thx in advance...jack

JayStPeter
04-27-2005, 2:51 PM
im just at a point between satelite pricing,cell phones,internet connections,watering the grass ;) ,etc i want to start looking at my expenses and cut back if possible.
...jack

I hear ya ... dump the cell phones :D .
Dial up :eek: . Once you have fast, there's no going back.
I'm living with my awful cable system until there is another cost effective way to get hi-speed internet. Then it'll be off to satellite TV. If you can get DSL, it is similar to the price you used to pay for cable. I can't get it and cable is the same deal as you. I should be in the shop instead of watching snowy TV anyway. :cool:

Jay

John Hart
04-27-2005, 3:16 PM
I agree that once you've had it fast, you'll want to tear your skin off while waiting for a picture to load. Can you get SBC DSL? They're running a special where new sign ups are $19.95 a month. (I think this offer goes for a year..then they bump you up) But, in a year, the whole pricing structure in the industry could change.

Anyway...that's another $25 for your penny jar!

Come to think of it, I just bought a bandsaw for $28 today.:rolleyes:

Zahid Naqvi
04-27-2005, 3:36 PM
Jack, go the DSL way. The one year $19.95 deal will stay with you even after a year. My one year expired in Jan and SBC raised it to the full $45, I threatened to switch service and they put it back to $19.95 :cool: , of course it helps that Comcast cable has been running a special in Arkansas for $25 for 6 months so all service providers know there are other options.

Tom Mullane
04-27-2005, 3:42 PM
I here what your saying Jay... I live in Washington Co, MD and we have the worst cable company in the world... they decided to arbitrarily cut the download speed on their internet service without telling the customers. When a bunch of us complained, we were told "We are the only game in town, you don't like it go back to dial up"... we can't get DSL out here in the farm lanes...
Verizon is now running their new fiber optic lines all over the area... as soon as they are in place... I am going to tell the cable company what to do with their service and cable TV.... especially since Satellite now offers local programming here now...

Tom Hurlebaus
04-27-2005, 4:21 PM
Jack,

Take it from a recent convert to DSL from dial-up (never could justify the cost for my use of the Net). I find out now that my use of the Net was dictated by how long I wanted to wait for response (did that make sense ?).

Anyway, you should be able to get SBC DSL in Missouri if they serve your area and you're within distance to the office.

I don't have the SBC WEB Site handy, but you can call 1-888-U-ASK-SBC. On their Web Site they have a link that can validate your address availability for DSL.

Tom

jack duren
05-27-2005, 8:17 PM
i checked on the sbc dsl for my area and its not available. i need to go ahead and make the change. any recommendations? i used "earthlink" in the day. anything else? i just need the boost to the net. dont really care about yahoo,etc. just google :) ....jack

John Hart
05-27-2005, 8:32 PM
Well Jack, if you really don't care about speed...your options are huge. Heres a link to ISP Rank for the Odessa area. http://www.isprank.com/State/MO/Odessa.html

It'll show everyone and their values...good luck!

John Shuk
05-27-2005, 9:39 PM
Tom,
When you get that Fiber to the premise you are going to be blown away. The speed is unreal. Verizon is saying that later this year they will have the video up on it as well.

Michael Perata
05-28-2005, 12:09 AM
Pacific Telesis "fibered" my neighborhood about five years ago in a test. They abandoned the test just prior to SBC acquiring them.

I just talked to a SBC rep today who said I should have full fiiber service by the end of the year.

Imagine downloading movies ay 28 MBPS - oops, I mean watchng movies on your HDTV @ 28 MBPS.